View Poll Results: What is your verdict and how much?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • For the Truck Company

11 57.89%
  • For GC

0 0%
  • $0.00

5 26.32%
  • $1.00

1 5.26%
  • $70,000

0 0%
  • $100,000

0 0%
  • $250,000

2 10.53%
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I have lost all faith in people and have even a lower view of Conservatives now.

So far, all self labeled Conservatives here think that it was 100% my fault and the truck company can break laws and Federal Safety Regulations and they are still 0% negligent.

Nearly all the Left leaners here see it that the truck company was partially negligent.

This thing is being split across Party lines. Who'd have guessed that?...And you Conservatives claim you are not The Borg.

My explanation is that Conservatives are down deep haters, in-compassionate followers and mega-corp lovers. What else would explain it?
    You know I am if anything liberal right?....

And you also say I "over-simplified" your case, but didn't even say why or what I missed.

We are all sorry you went through this. Health issues suck, no doubt. But it doesn't make us "lesser thinkers" simply because we don't side with you.

Post Likes
    More questions.
    Do you wear glasses or contacts?
    Are they required for driving?
    If so, were you wearing them that day?
    Having never been on the PCH, I can only assume that the sun was on your left or right depending on what direction you were traveling. Or, with curves I guess it could have been in your face. Were you temporarily blinded by the sun? What kind of sunglasses do you wear when riding?
    Were you using any type of bluetooth device that day? Earbuds for music, phone calls, communication with other riders?
    What caused you to be distracted? Or, were you complacent? It had to be one or the other, otherwise you would have seen the truck sooner.
    How many cyclists would you say passed that truck, that day, where it was located? Were there any other incidents with that vehicle that day in that location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    GA has a $Washington that says GC will not answer Fender's questions...

GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

5. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    How does one not look where they are going?

How does one drive/ride faster than can be stopped if something is in front of them?
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

7. Likes davidadavis, lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    I suppose if your mother tripped, fell and hurt herself on a contractor's debris pile that was not taped off on the sidewalk, you'd tell her it is 100% her fault.

"Taking protective measures to keep the public safe is purely optional, Mom. Suck it up and go get some stitches."
    Sorry but if Mom walks into a pile of debris on the sidewalk yes it's her fault. If she needs stitches I'll take her to get them and then take her to the optometrist.

9. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by model m-man View Post
    Sorry but if Mom walks into a pile of debris on the sidewalk yes it's her fault. If she needs stitches I'll take her to get them and then take her to the optometrist.
    I will answer Fender's questions but I have to ask one first that is at the counterpoint of this whole debate. Do you believe that a professional construction crew has zero responsibility to protect the public from their hazardous debris that they left on the sidewalk by at least putting yellow tape around it?

Yes, it is obvious that your Mother should have seen the debris right in front of her and could have avoided the fall, but does that completely relieve the construction crew of any responsibility for not using yellow tape?

IOW, because your mother was "blind" does that make the crew not negligent? Consider: If the crew used yellow tape then your Mother would have blindly run into that first...as intended and avoided injury.

Actually, I would like everyone to weigh in on this question first...before we do 101 questions.

Post Likes
    Do you believe that a professional construction crew has zero responsibility to protect the public from their hazardous debris that they left on the sidewalk by at least putting yellow tape around it?

No.

I'm not ready to give my verdict yet. Need to read more about it. Plus, as a fellow cyclist, I need time to be mindful of my own bias and personal experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    No.

I'm not ready to give my verdict yet. Need to read more about it. Plus, as a fellow cyclist, I need time to be mindful of my own bias and personal experience.
    Oops, I misunderstood your answer so I deleted my first response. Sorry.

Do you want me to answer Fender's questions first?

Post Likes
    I will answer Fender's questions but I have to ask one first that is at the counterpoint of this whole debate. Do you believe that a professional construction crew has zero responsibility to protect the public from their hazardous debris that they left on the sidewalk by at least putting yellow tape around it?

Yes, it is obvious that your Mother should have seen the debris right in front of her and could have avoided the fall, but does that completely relieve the construction crew of any responsibility for not using yellow tape?

IOW, because your mother was "blind" does that make the crew not negligent? Consider: If the crew used yellow tape then your Mother would have blindly run into that first...as intended and avoided injury.

Actually, I would like everyone to weigh in on this question first...before we do 101 questions.
    I don’t think anyone has said the trucking company was completely in the clear. They clearly violated regulations aimed at reducing risk of such incidents. The question is if they were enough of the “cause” to be considered liable. And in my opinion since a truck on the road is a normal occurrence, and drivers are supposed to leave enough room to stop... they are not.

Your debris pile example is only viable if the amount of debris would be considered reasonable for a street. In such a case, if my mom tripped on a beer bottle I would not sue budweiser...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    I don’t think anyone has said the trucking company was completely in the clear. They clearly violated regulations aimed at reducing risk of such incidents. The question is if they were enough of the “cause” to be considered liable. And in my opinion since a truck on the road is a normal occurrence, and drivers are supposed to leave enough room to stop... they are not.

Your debris pile example is only viable if the amount of debris would be considered reasonable for a street. In such a case, if my mom tripped on a beer bottle I would not sue budweiser...
    Do you believe that a professional, working at a professional capacity, has more of a responsibility to protect the public when they professionally block lanes or dump a pile of debris on a public walkway? Tripping over a beer bottle is not a good comparison. You seem to be equating regular folks to professionals who are working at their profession.

Also, liability does not have to be 100% either way? Especially not when damages are this high.

Post Likes
    there was a similar case where there was a family of 5
    mom and dad died. One kid died. One surviving kid killed himself.
    last survivor sued and was awarded $400M

did I mention the dad was the one who ran into a parked car on the shoulder?

Post Likes
    Oops, I misunderstood your answer so I deleted my first response. Sorry.

Do you want me to answer Fender's questions first?
    Not so much. I want to read the verdict of similar cases. Haven't had time, and like said, trying to be mindful of my bias.

Cheers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    Not so much. I want to read the verdict of similar cases. Haven't had time, and like said, trying to be mindful of my bias.

Cheers.
    As to your bias: Do you think being a cyclist would make you a more or less qualified juror?

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast