Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Traeger

Post Likes
    The Big Green Egg takes a little more baby sitting but can reach lower temperatures 150ish and higher temperatures for searing. Big Green Egg is 100% manual for setting the temp while pellet smokers are electronically controlled.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    The Big Green Egg takes a little more baby sitting but can reach lower temperatures 150ish and higher temperatures for searing. Big Green Egg is 100% manual for setting the temp while pellet smokers are electronically controlled.

My brotherinlaw has a kit for his BGE that has fans and thermometers to maintain temp.

My Camp Chef can go from 170-475ish and I have a propane sear box hanging on the side which can go to 900* on high.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    I see Weber is jumping into to game. Also read a intresting article about the Tragers. I guess they sold Trager Grills went to work for a different manufacturer and got sued for patent stuff. Gotta be a weird feeling to get sued buy a company you started that has your name

Post Likes
    I ended up emailing Camp Chef rather than leaving a message with customer service. They responded in less than 24 hours with a list of things to check. I just responded to them 5 minutes ago.

Their website states their customer service reps speak English-Gotta love that

I'll keep you posted

Post Likes
    Gotta hand it to their customer service. I explained to them in detail exactly what has been going on. They had me register the grill and asked for a date code and are shipping out a new controller and temp sensor.

Post Likes
    That reminds me, I still have to register mine.
    Did you see the new WiFi controller that just came out? Slick
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    I have an old green Egg ,still works.Thinking about getting a new Smoker.I heard the traeger gets the meat more smoke taste. Heard it is also easier to use.I never heard of the Camp Chef before.I looked it up.Which is Better as far as automatic wood pellet smokers go The Traeger or camp chef?

Post Likes
    I’m a little biased, but I’ve been very satisfied with CC. Great support both from the factory and the user community.
    I’ve got a ZG pellet grill, Yukon outdoor stove system, countless accessories and Im looking to get a Pursuit folding pellet grill for the RV.

Post Likes
    Im not familiar with the other brands of smoker that you mentioned.Which wood Pellet smoker do you think would be the best, for my first one .I was looking at Traeger.but now I'm thinking camp chef.Do you think the wood pellet smokers are better than the green egg type of smokers.i know they are more automatic to use.Assuming all of these cook fairly well.I'm not unhappy with the Green Egg,just looking for something new and better to try.My green Egg has been around a long time.

Post Likes
    The names I mentioned are all Camp Chef products.
    Camp Chef themselves are located in Utah.
    The whole community has been very helpful in learning how to use the products, new recipes and tips and suggestions on cooking methods.
    I don’t think I’ve had anything bad come off the CC since it came home in May.
    Ribs, pulled pork, beef, fish, smoked Mac and cheese, desserts, crab cakes, I’ve had about everything under the lid.

Post Likes
    I generally use London Broil for jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Try a bottom or inside roast. Should be a bit leaner than the roast you used. Fat and jerky don't work well together. What marinade did you use? I make my own which consists of 50/50 soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and whatever spices I choose to add.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    https://www.amazon.com/EasyGoProduct...4529774&sr=8-6

And with Prime you get free delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Where at? Im sorta limited to Dicks Sporting Goods around here for lumberjack. Think I have 2 or 3 bags left.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    That reminds me, I still have to register mine.
    Did you see the new WiFi controller that just came out? Slick
    No I haven't Gotta look into it
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    I have an old green Egg ,still works.Thinking about getting a new Smoker.I heard the traeger gets the meat more smoke taste. Heard it is also easier to use.I never heard of the Camp Chef before.I looked it up.Which is Better as far as automatic wood pellet smokers go The Traeger or camp chef?
    I've been pretty happy with the Camp Chef. It gets used at least 5 nights a week year round in Chicago weather, this being my first year having it. I have zero experience with the Traegar and my BIL has a BGE. He uses the BGE for special occasions.

As far as the Camp Chef, I've smoked and/or cooked beef, pork, fish, and venison. It gets used almost daily. I've had a few episode of erratic behavior and CC has shipped out replacement parts this week. When I want additional smoke flavor, I use a smoke tube.***I am not a fan of eating smoked meat and still having the smoke flavor on my pallet 2 days later***. I've been using Pit Boss pellets, hickory and competition blend.

I don't know what the difference is between all the grills. I'm not unhappy with my purchase. Pellet grills need more maintenance than a charcoal grill and I've never had a BGE. Ashes need to be disposed of after every "cook" and a pellet grill needs to be cleaned thoroughly every 3 or 4 cooks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast