Thread: Air Duct Scam

Post Likes

Air Duct Scam

Post Likes
    She gives the $700 bucks to the guy Can people actually be that gullible ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    She gives the $700 bucks to the guy Can people actually be that gullible ?
    It’s all about using key words, mold being one of them. Start talking about mold and it’ll throw most non-educated consumers into a panic.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    This is terrible. I can't stand it when these scammers rip good people off. It makes us all look bad

Post Likes
    Yup , buddy of mine knows a guy straight out of Africa , goes around collecting 700 - 2000 dollars a day depending on the sq ft

Barely speaks english , but somehow got a LLC , a van , a vacuum , and goes around the expensive neighborhoods "duct cleaning"

300 for a dryer vent

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Yup , buddy of mine knows a guy straight out of Africa , goes around collecting 700 - 2000 dollars a day depending on the sq ft

Barely speaks english , but somehow got a LLC , a van , a vacuum , and goes around the expensive neighborhoods "duct cleaning"

300 for a dryer vent
    Only in America!!!! Makes me think I am in the right industry wrong position!

Post Likes
    My son bought a foreclosure.
    Daughter-in-law insisted on duct cleaning.
    I baby sat the house for the crew.
    They cut a hole in the return duct near the furnace. Attached a 10 or 12 inch flexible hose and ran it out to their huge vacuum towed by their truck.
    One yoyo was going from register to register with an air hose. Blowing the air into the duct after removing the register.
    I expected, at least, some kind of flexible brush pushed through the duct work.
    But wait! There's more!
    I go out to the vacuum and the flexible hose has a split in it where it attached to the vacuum.
    I point it out to one yoyo and he wrapped it with duck tape.
    Otherwise, they would have continued going thru the movements and not accomplish anything.

Post Likes
    It seems like if he used matching pictures and spent more than 7 mins upstairs he would’ve have another satisfied customer. Looked like he put some thought into getting this scam running but didn’t put thought into the follow through. Even his scams suffer from lack of effort. Imagine how bad it would be if he installed a piece of equipment?

Post Likes
    I worked for a Company that had a Duct Cleaning Pick-up Truck. They had Big Gasoline Engine driven Vacuum in the back along with a Gasoline driven Air Compressor. I was there to clean the Furnace, caked in Candle Soot. They ask me to just pull the blower and clean it. Also asked if I had noise Ear Muffs, which I did not. I had to leave due to the racket. The Pneumatic Duct Cleaner was beating the inside of the Duct. They cleaned the Evap. Coil, heat exchanger and furnace. You could have eaten off of anything they cleaned. They used Isopropyl on the Coil and Furnace. So there are good companies out there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    It’s all about using key words, mold being one of them. Start talking about mold and it’ll throw most non-educated consumers into a panic.
    Reported one team for trying to scam my Mom. They tried bait and switch as rider77 mentioned: show up for $50 go in attic say she needs new ducts and nonsense, now they want 3k to start.
    I walked the guy outside and told him - very patiently - to leave and never try this again.

Good to know there are still good companies, madhat.