Post Likes

Single Package VERTICAL units

Hi hvac talk

I wanted to know what brands make Packaged Vertical units that fit into a closet-type system that can connect to ductwork, and is ALL ELECTRIC. I know First Company makes some as well as Bard, and first company has heat pumps that shutoff at 40 degrees and then switch to backup electric heat. Bards heat pumps shut off at 15 degrees but I don't know if thats a good or bad thing.

Are there any other companies that make these or something similar since its a bit difficult to find them since they aren't well advertised. What do you guys think about heat pump shutting off at 40 or 15 degrees? Any suggestions on which company makes a better product?

Thank you all

Post Likes
    40 is nuts. Probably trying to avoid having defrosts. 15 isn't too bad. With a timer defrost, it would go to cool mode every hour or so which is wasteful as at 15 usually there isn't that much moisture in the air to need to defrost.

The Magic Pak, the most common one out there, shuts off between 0 and 17.

Napoleon & NCP don't make heat pumps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    40 is nuts. Probably trying to avoid having defrosts. 15 isn't too bad. With a timer defrost, it would go to cool mode every hour or so which is wasteful as at 15 usually there isn't that much moisture in the air to need to defrost.

The Magic Pak, the most common one out there, shuts off between 0 and 17.

Napoleon & NCP don't make heat pumps.
    I tried calling Magic Pak to get the exact number but the rep didnt seem too experienced he said backup heat turns on only when thermostat is set above 2 degrees than current temp regardless of how cold it is outside.

Do you have any idea how efficient these are around 15-20 degrees before shutting off? Still cheaper than electric strip heat?

Post Likes
    Also which units last longer, magic pak or first co? I'd think the compressor for first co would last longer if theyre shutting off at 40 degrees so much less use

Post Likes
    At 17 or less, the heat pump would still have an efficiency advantage over strip heat so the Magic Pak would cost less to heat with. You do have a point that shutting off early could make for a long life of the compressor.

Not sure on reliability, little experience with either. There are oodles of Magic Paks out there. They are made by Allied Air division of Lennox.