Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

What’s your craziest client story?

Here’s a recent one of mine:
    I had a lady invite me in, I had already slipped on my shoebees, as I stepped in I was standing on a blue tarp, (thought I was going to get whacked) directed to sit on a folding chair, given precise instructions on the procedures to enter. First, slip off slip off one “existing bootie” replace with supplied bootie, do not allow said foot with new bootie to contact tarp, place said foot on to adjoining tarp, prior to next step. Repeat for foot #2, Now try to get up with feet, extended to other tarp. Reverse process to go outside, repeat for each in-n-out with new set of booties.
    1 hr service call morphed in to 3 hours! lol
    Looking forward to hearing about your “special” client stories!
    Jefe
    33 years exp.
    Just when you think that you’v seen it all...

Post Likes
    I would’ve left after I was told to sit and listen to how to come in and out of a house.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

3. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    I got called out to a house rented by a lunatic. Owner is a good client of ours, but she wanted us to give a second opinion because the tenant called another company out (a big name company, well known for high pressure sales) and was saying the A/C was going to blow up.

So I get there and at first the woman just seems like the usual frazzled woman, nothing special. But then she starts saying the guy from the other company was here and he took the box in the garage off the wall and replaced all of it. She shows me to the panel box. I ask, "so he replaced the whole panel box?" She's insistent he did because he said Freon was leaking down the wires and she could see all the "Joules and currents".

At that point, I knew I was in for a wild ride.

So I'm perplexed because the panel box is in the wall and it's a fairly new home. I look at the date on the box and it's the date the house was constructed. So I keep asking her are you sure he replaced the whole panel box? Then she flips out and starts saying, "are you calling me a liar?! I'll call him right now!" I said okay, call him because I'm just trying to understand what's going on. So she calls the guy and puts me on the phone with him. He says he's an electrician with Big Company. I repeat what she's telling me, but he clarifies he only replaced the breaker. I'm like, "okay that makes more sense... by the way, she said you told her the system is leaking Freon behind the panel box?" Guy starts getting all defensive saying yeah, the system needs to be replaced because the compressor is drawing a lot of current from being undercharged and it's a huge danger to her.

I push back and tell him the line set isn't even on this side of the house so how would there be a leak behind the panel box. A this point HE starts flipping out on me, cursing at me, defending his diagnostic. I tell him I don't care what he says, he's an idiot. So while he's fuming on the phone, I hand it back to her and tell her I'm going to check out the A/C.

Run the A/C and everything is checking out perfectly. System is charged right, everything is electrically sound, so I go to the nut and tell her I can't find anything wrong. She starts pushing back on me saying she believes the electrician because I'm not an electrician. I tell her I'll put it in writing everything is normal and that'll be the end of this. So I write up an invoice, hand it to her, and walk off. Then she starts yelling at me "you're lucky my husband isn't home or he'd knock you out!"

Told the owner everything, which she believes me, and said we can't return to that house until that nutjob is no longer living there. She laughed about it.

5. Likes vin lashon, captube liked this post
    Post Likes
    I have a feeling this is going to be a good thread.

7. Likes vin lashon liked this post
    Post Likes
    went to one house to find hidden cameras in light fixtures. as I continued to look and not find cameras, they kept getting smaller and smaller, then could see through metal, until the ul sticker on the side of one was a camera.

I told her we weren't imporatant enough for such and expensive tech, even if the laws of physics said such a thing couldn't exist.

Just replace the light fixtures if you're that worried about it.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Lets see...

A current(at that time) customer asks me to see his dad about replacing his furnace and AC.

Furnace is in an unfinished basement with unpainted wooden stairs leading to the basement.

I was required to remove my boots before entering the residence enter the basement in my stocking feet.

I was to busy to take on the work, wink wink.

The following winter I am asked to trouble shoot the recently installed system.

96(?)% Carrier.

I arrive to find to find the furnace shut off at the SSU.

"Yeah it runs to much, so I shut it off.

"Sir, does your home stay warm when it runs?"

"Yes, but it runs to much."

You need to call the installing contractor.

Installing contractor, who I knew as a tech who had left his employer because "the boss charged customers to much", was out of business.

I left and lost the customers phone number.

Of course I lost his son's business also, but he was nearly as demanding.

I don't miss either of them.

Post Likes
    Going to do a furnace replacement in th caretakers cabin on a private island. Gave the caretaker a call and told him we would be out in 2 days to do the replacement for him. He said “not this week”. I asked why, and he said “Because the family is on the island, and they don’t want to see any servants while they are there!”
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    We had a customer call my boss flipping out saying we left the adjustable curb with a huge dent and written measurements in marker all over it, when I arrive he comes running out shirt off asking where my boss is and I advised him he’s on his way . So I go to check out where this marker writing is. I see absolutely nothing so I ask him to direct me to exactly where this writing is and he’s livid that we can’t see what he is talking about I wipe the side of it and he goes oh I guess it was just dust ! Then when my boss shows up he is yelling and screaming in his face and when boss asked him not to yell he says I do what I want in my own house and proceeds to almost knock himself out by punching himself in the face . Then he went inside and we left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    I had a an old lady, around 75-80, that was a straight up BASKET CASE!!!!

Went to her house as a second opinion. She had a 1987 Trane air handler with a 2004 condenser. Previous company told her she needed to replace it. I get out there and find the blower wheel had come off the shaft and got stuck on the side of the assembly. Pulled the assembly and fixed the blower wheel. Cleaned the drain and condenser coil all was good. She was happy and paid for that service call.
    The next day, she calls me says it isn’t working again. I drive an hour and half to her house and this time. Very rude. I find one the tstat wires to the condenser had went bad. Changed the wire and checked all operations. Didn’t charge her a trip fee, or diag, just a Minor charge for the wire, >$20.

SHE FLIPS OUT ON ME. Screaming and cussing, saying I’m intruding In her house, trying to rob her. She said she was going to call the police. I stayed calm the entire time, smiled and said have a wonderful day ma’am. Told my manager and he said get out of there. Lady called me the next day and I didn’t answer. Left me 6 voicemails saying I took advantage of her and she’s is going to sue my company. My manager sent her check back and said it’s not worth the headache. I agree!!!!

Apparently she’s done this to a few different companies in this area. Lol I’ve asked around. I’ve should have taken the clue when I saw 5-6 newer stickers on the unit. Her daughter did call to apologize and offered to pay for the service calls. Idk if my manager agreed or not.

Post Likes
    Like almost of us, I started out with the notion of 'Service' and 'the customer is always right'.
    I got over it rather quickly, after taking my lumps like some of the above posters.
    If someone wants to get crazy on me, I try calm and reasoning first.
    Then I give it right back. At that point they aren't going to change their mind or their perception. And I am not leaving quietly after they tried to sh!t on me. Who cares?

Looking at the above posts...
    -'servants' wouldn't have gone well with me there.
    -"I'm going to call the cops!"...call them. Would you like me to dial it for you? Those type of people may be crazy, but they are crafty too. You did a nice thing, undercharged her, and she beat you. Which seems to be her MO.
    -I don't take my shoes off, and I don't wear booties. I do keep a pair of clean indoor sneakers that I'll switch into. Either I put down drops or I don't do the job, their choice.

One of my craziest...doing some boiler work on a renovation (20 years ago) big house in a wealthy neighborhood. There are carpenters and electricians there (no homeowners around). I notice right before 10am everyone is all abuzz about break time @ 10. The one guy says to me "Are you coming?" I ask what's going on. He says to follow him.

Upstairs we go, into the master bedroom, bunch of spackle buckets set up for chairs in front of a big picture window, looking at the neighbors house. Kinda far, but you can see.
    Right at 10, the neighbor's curtain opens (to her bedroom) and she's naked, gets on the bed, and puts on a show-by herself with toys.

Apparently this was everyday for like a month.

I only had a fixed price/1 day job, but you know, in the name of 'great service' I stretched it out to 2, just to make sure...
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

15. Likes Lahrs, Fender60, BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    I'll need an address.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

17. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I'll need an address.
    That was over 20 years ago...probably a whole different show now, right?

Post Likes
    lol, People are crazy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast