+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bye Buddy

Post Likes

Bye Buddy

He was not a "good" dog by conventional measurement; there were really less than a half dozen people the whole world over that he tolerated and got along with. Various kids in the neighborhood passed from childhood to adulthood terrified of him. They simply would not believe me that if you suddenly rushed towards him while he was throwing a fit, he would turn tail and flee. It's understandable, however, when his hair was standing on end from neck to tail and all teeth were visible; growling and barking as if he were confronting a mass murderer.

Down deep he was still just a Labby. A ferociously protective and territorial Lab. The adults in the neighborhood quickly realized he was harmless and there was nothing I could do to control him. I just wished he would have learned to distinguish our yard from theirs. Not cool buddy.

Anyway, we did our part and faithfully fed, played with, walked and took care of him since we rescued him at 18 months. Then we put him down gently ten years later. Doesn't get any damn easier no matter how many times I do it. Another name tag for the fireplace mantle memorial.

I really hope the Good Lord surprises us with canine reunions one great and glorious day.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    Sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a family member.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Even though it is necessary it is never easy. Sorry for your loss.

Post Likes
    Thank you both. And yes, the necessity of letting one down gently makes it far more bearable. I have never lost one suddenly - so I can only imagine how difficult that would be. Or simply losing one as in a runaway - that would probably be the worst.

We're keeping everything in perspective.

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

Post Likes
    We almost lost our cat suddenly from a heart attack

Rushed him to the vet with the pedal to the floor

They said we can give him this medicine and he will last a month or two

1200 dollars later we had 2 more months to love on him and prepare him for the other side

Its tough ....

Post Likes
    We got our black Lab/Husky mutt as my youngest son's dog. Shortly after joining our family as a puppy, he adopted me as his human. He is 4 now and is my almost constant companion. When the time comes, it will hurt. From the look in his eyes when I am late coming home from work, I only hope that I don't go first. I feel for your loss.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    We got our black Lab/Husky mutt as my youngest son's dog. Shortly after joining our family as a puppy, he adopted me as his human. He is 4 now and is my almost constant companion. When the time comes, it will hurt. From the look in his eyes when I am late coming home from work, I only hope that I don't go first. I feel for your loss.
    They'll always attach themselves to the alpha male if available.

And yes, all those summer nights running late calls - the wife has video of him staring at the front door and crying/howling. His internal clock was simply amazing. We never could figure out how he could always tell time. We knew he relied on obvious clues like alarm clocks to start pacing in the morning, nails endlessly clicking on the hardwood floor. He saw us putting cash out for food delivery folks and he would man the door. But other times we had no idea how he knew what was coming next. We thought he might using some sort of sun dial...but he could do it on rainy overcast days as well. He always knew when it was 6:30 PM (dinner time) and would start pacing within five minutes either way. Uncanny.

Not as fearfully and wonderfully made as us - but still pretty damn amazing. Actually - they have it all over us in the integrity and loyalty departments.

That's partly how I knew we were close to the end. I'd walk in and he'd still be sleeping soundly...I'd have to wake him up to go outside. That and watching him struggle to get to his feet and hardly being able to negotiate the basement stairs. And going off by himself in some far corner, where before he would always have to be right there with you.

Labs are pretty good at letting you know they are almost done - but you have to pay attention as they are super noble and nearly impervious to pain if it means pleasing their humans.

Enjoy the years you have left. We have sworn off dogs again...but we did that when the last one passed. It only lasted a couple years before the wife broke down and we rescued another one. We're donating the cost of an extra large bag of large dog food every month to a local shelter.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in