Thread: CAZ test

Post Likes

CAZ test

I dont like to post videos much but we had an issue on one of our new installs today. When the customer closed their bedrooms in the evening, the fireplace wouldnt draft and would smoke up the room...and elevate the carbon monoxide levels. If you watch the 2 videos, the problem is readily apparent. I went ahead and sold them an HRV which we will be installing in the next couple of weeks.

https://youtu.be/5ZzzBongvog

https://youtu.be/I5aOLKgmiE4

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Adlerberts,

Are there restrictions on installing a simple Make -Up Air, kinda like a Combustion -air, in your area?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Adlerberts,

Are there restrictions on installing a simple Make -Up Air, kinda like a Combustion -air, in your area?
    Absolutely not, but I definitely prefer an HRV over a potentially energy wasting, untreated, outside air scenario. The customer sees the value in the HRV and I would be doing them a disservice otherwise.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    Absolutely not, but I definitely prefer an HRV over a potentially energy wasting, untreated, outside air scenario. The customer sees the value in the HRV and I would be doing them a disservice otherwise.
    If the Customer couldn't afford the HRV, would you offer the Make-up Air?

And please, ... Don't misunderstand me here, .... I'm not trying to "Nit Pick" what You are doing Sir.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    If the Customer couldn't afford the HRV, would you offer the Make-up Air?

And please, ... Don't misunderstand me here, .... I'm not trying to "Nit Pick" what You are doing Sir.
    Absolutely I would. A fix is a fix. But we sell Kias and we sell BMWs. I am not a big fan of Kias .

And to add to that. I think for at least my first 15 years, probably longer, I didnt even think about the downfalls of "tight" home construction. I remember that "deer in the headlights" look I gave my PTCS teacher when he told me that duct sealing can kill.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    Absolutely I would. A fix is a fix. But we sell Kias and we sell BMWs. I am not a big fan of Kias .

And to add to that. I think for at least my first 15 years, probably longer, I didnt even think about the downfalls of "tight" home construction. I remember that "deer in the headlights" look I gave my PTCS teacher when he told me that duct sealing can kill.

You sell Kias & BMWs on the side also? I'm kidding.

And, I understand that an HRV, beasts a simple Fresh Air Intake, by Light Years.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    I'm not sure an HRV is the best solution, and maybe no solution at all.

its my understanding that a properly balanced HRV removes the same quantity of air from the house that it brings into the house. this in no way will correct a negative pressure problem in the CAZ, and when the intake screen plugs up, and it will, the HRV will now depressurize the house making the issue worse.

you need a combustion air intake to replace the air used for combustion. a balanced HRV wont do that as it only exchanges stale air for fresh air of the same quantity
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    I'm not sure an HRV is the best solution, and maybe no solution at all.

its my understanding that a properly balanced HRV removes the same quantity of air from the house that it brings into the house. this in no way will correct a negative pressure problem in the CAZ, and when the intake screen plugs up, and it will, the HRV will now depressurize the house making the issue worse.

you need a combustion air intake to replace the air used for combustion. a balanced HRV wont do that as it only exchanges stale air for fresh air of the same quantity
    Nope. You can balance an HRV positively using the same manometer used to perform this test. I have done it many times in the past with great results.

Post Likes
    Interesting.

Post Likes
    Interesting.
    Its pretty simple. If youre -5 pascals with the house sealed and bedroom doors closed then balance it out to .0 pascals. If you want the bedroom doors open then just flip the hrv off. Works real well with the lifebreath control, just a push of a button.

Post Likes
    why as a homeowner would i ever want to have to press a button based on whether or on i feel like leaving a bedroom door open?
    what a pain in the rear.

wont running a standard single family residence in a positive pressure tent to drive any moisture into the exterior with can cause mold if in colder climates?

maybe TeddyBear will chime in.

dont get me wrong, i am a full believer in HRVs to provide fresh air, just as im a full believer in providing combustion air. my belief is keep'm seperate

Post Likes
    read page 21, all of it

https://www.lifebreath.com/wp-conten...-19.pdf?x39965

I stand by my response