Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Bad customer experience

I ran into this very "special" customer yesterday...

Back in last July during the heat wave, we got a call from this customer requesting to replace her TSTAT, i get over there the same day replaced it ,turned the system on and made sure the it's cooling and had at least 18F difference between supply and return. Charged the customer $ which is a very fair price for same day service.

Last Sunday afternoon, I received a call from a lady requesting a service call to add some Freon and she didn't identify herself as a previous customer. I picked up and told her we don’t work over the weekend and please call us back Monday. On Monday we agreed to setup a the service for Thursday.

Man! On Thursday morning, before it’s even hot 9 am, I was on a conference call, she called my cell 7 times and left 4 voicemails, mostly asking if I’m coming, in one of the voicemail she claimed “if I’m not fulfilling the service call she will call the police to report me”. Really!!?? So anyway, I arrived at the townhouse and immediately recognize this is that place we changed the TStat last year. I visually look the system and told her you condenser is not running that’s why it’s not cooling… at this point I really don’t want to do her business after all the phone call bombardments and threat. I asked her two times and get positive answers from her that the thermostat was “working great” all these time. So I told her since your condenser is on the exterior roof and I will need permission from her HOA first before touching it, then I left.

Sure enough, a couple hours later, another series of phone bombardments, mostly blaming the thermostat causing the AC not working and her neighbor may “have tampered with her AC” causing it not to work. I’m fed up with her harassment, and called her back, I told her: lady. I’ve been doing this for over 15 years and never seem some have call me 12 times and left me 7 voicemail in one day” She interrupted me and said if I think she’s bothering then she won’t call anymore.

And of course, after 20 mins(this’s after hours at 7pm), she call again and yelling at the phone and said she didn’t call me 12 time and don’t make up stories, then she hung up. This morning I looked my cellphone found a missed call from a blocked number at 1:30am…at this phone I blocked her number. This morning she left another voicemail, claiming “her brother looked at the thermostat, and confirmed it’s “bad” and she won’t call me for service anymore”. WOW, what a nut job.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-21-2019 at 11:46 AM.

2. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    So you answer the phone on weekends but you don't work weekends ? Then it takes you till Thursday to show up ? She has a right to be pissed, maybe not 12 calls worth but if you take a phone call on Sunday , go fix it or get to it on Monday. This is a SERVICE business , imo. Me , I would have been finding another company Monday after you scheduled me for Thursday , but you run your business the way you want

4. Likes beenthere liked this post
    Post Likes
    I think she likes you and has a odd way of showing it

Post Likes
    I've told her we are booked till Thursday straight out due to prearranged jobs, I even suggest her to call another company too...It's not like I told her we will show up Monday but drag it to Thursday, not like that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    So you answer the phone on weekends but you don't work weekends ? Then it takes you till Thursday to show up ? She has a right to be pissed, maybe not 12 calls worth but if you take a phone call on Sunday , go fix it or get to it on Monday. This is a SERVICE business , imo. Me , I would have been finding another company Monday after you scheduled me for Thursday , but you run your business the way you want
    My problem is that after verifying the TStat I installed over a year ago is working fine, and her admitting it's been working well all along. After I left she tried to twist the story and blame the TStat for the AC not cooling, asking me to go back for another free service while I didn't charge a dime for showing up on Thursday. She's way off, a normal person may call once or twice, but not harassment style. I don't owe her anything, one year warranty is over, what I put in is still working. She's way off, imo.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lookgalookga View Post
    My problem is that after verifying the TStat I installed over a year ago is working fine, and her admitting it's been working well all along. After I left she tried to twist the story and blame the TStat for the AC not cooling, asking me to go back for another free service while I didn't charge a dime for showing up on Thursday. She's way off, a normal person may call once or twice, but not harassment style. I don't owe her anything, one year warranty is over, what I put in is still working. She's way off, imo.

When a woman gets HOT , they go batshit crazy. We see this different, you answered the phone on Sunday so putting her off till Thursday not cool. You must have bankers hours .

Post Likes
    When a woman gets HOT , they go batshit crazy. We see this different, you answered the phone on Sunday so putting her off till Thursday not cool. You must have bankers hours .
    I agree with you. Having bankers hours are the only way to balance work and family...imo.

Post Likes
    I Agree Oldguy.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    I agree with you. Having bankers hours are the only way to balance work and family...imo.
    I've Missed out on, due to my work:

Holidays/ Sleep/ Eating/ Sex/ Family/ School Events/ Social Events, & more, ...... As I Built My Business up.

Now, ....What brought all of that down to a Level where it became "Acceptable", was that I began charging Double Time for after hours work, that in turn caused many a Customer to realize that they could wait till normal Hours, for something to be done.

But for those that insisted upon my coming to their home/business, that also a means to better my business, & provide for My Family.

I'm 24/7 & I quickly learned that this Trade runs on a Feast or Famine basis.

I've also learned that many times, the Customer can be told what to do, early in the wee hours of the morning, on how to get their A.C./Heat back on, until I get there.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

12. Likes jbhenergy, joemach liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post

Holidays/ Sleep/ Eating/ Sex/ Family/ School Events/ Social Events, & more, ...... As I Built My Business up.

Now, ....What brought all of that down to a Level where it became "Acceptable", was that I began charging Double Time for after hours work, that in turn caused many a Customer to realize that they could wait till normal Hours, for something to be done.

But for those that insisted upon my coming to their home/business, that also a means to better my business, & provide for My Family.

I've also learned that many times, the Customer can be told what to do, early in the wee hours of the morning, on how to get their A.C./Heat back on, until I get there.
    Spot on with this statement.
    9/10 customers, when hearing “I would be happy to come out, but you do understand it’s 150 for me to drive there and 250 an hour with a minimum of one hour. Or I can schedule you first thing Monday morning.” Is usually followed with “we’ll see you Monday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post

We are on the same page. When I worked callouts it was going to cost big $. If I didn't want to work , all calls went to recorder with a message I will call Monday or first day after holiday. Even then there was some customers that had my cell as they had to have heat or cool. We all have those.Mon-Friday we worked long hours if the service calls were there. I had a competitor that only worked 8:30 till 3:00 pm mon -fri no weekends and every time I ran into him he complained he just couldn't make any money, duh.
    I live in a small town/county where half the folks are cousins so keeping a private number kinda tough. Here the summer is work work work and the winter is work, sit idle, work, sit idle

Post Likes

In your opening post, I don't see where you say verified the thermostat was actually working. By checking the terminals or thermostat wires to see if the Y had 24 volts on it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    My favorite line in this industry, only been able to use it a handful of times, and only once in the last four years where I work now:

Would you like me to leave?
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast