Post Likes

Trane XR vs XL vs XV

I got a quote on replacing my HVAC package unit today. It is for a 2 ton Trane. They go from SEER 14 with the XR to SEER 16 with the XV. I think I have narrowed it down to either the XL or XV but I cant really tell any difference other than the SEER rating and 2 stage compressor on the XV. Is there anything else that makes them different? One other question I have is if Trane and American Standard are one in the same why is there such a price difference between the two?

Post Likes
    I'm not aware of any XV package unit model. There is the XR14c, XL15c, or XL16c. Also XL14c dual fuel, and XL16c dual fuel.

First the XR14c - budget friendly line. This unit is ~14 SEER AC, 81% AFUE gas heating side. Single stage heat, single stage cooling. High efficiency ECM constant torque fixed speed blower motor. Very good unit for the price point.

The XL15c is a fancier version of the XR14c with more plastic panels for a better appearance. The XL is ~15 SEER 81% AFUE. Single stage cooling, 2 -stage heating. High efficiency variable speed ECM blower motor for improved dehumidification.

The XL16c is the same as the XL15c, but the efficiency improves slightly from 15-16 SEER, and it adds 2 -stage cooling for more advanced dehumidification.

The XL14c is the same as the XL15c, but it has dual fuel operation for reduced heating cost of operation depending on your utility rates. This dual fuel system utilizes a heat pump and gas furnace as back up. So, it technically has 3 stages of heat ( 1st heat pump, 2nd & 3rd gas furnace). The SEER rating is reduced to 14.

The XL16c DF is the same as the XL14c DF, but it upgrades the SEER to 16 and has 2 stages of heat pump giving it (2 stages of cooling, 4 stages of heating)

IMO the best bang for your buck is the XL14 DF...
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Mgenuis put a bow on that for ya! I've got the XL16c and I love it so far. One thing that maybe different is the blower motor on the xl16c is a true variable speed motor and has a dehumidification function. If this unit is connected to a tstat like the honeywell Prestige IAQ, that has a built in humidistat, it can slow the blower 20% to increase the amount of moisture pulled from the air. I dont know if the xl14c can do that with its constant torque motor.

Post Likes
    All of the XL package units have the variable speed ecm. The XR14 has the constant torque. The XL824 thermostat can modulate the signal through the bk terminal on any of the XL units. There is a bk wire that’s factory jumpered on the ecm control board.
    The XRs CT ECM can modulate for dehum with the use of a field installed relay, and dehum terminal on the thermostat.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    @mgenius33 You are correct I read the quote wrong. It is XR and XL. One of the model number is 4WCY5024A1000. Unfortunately, I can't do a dual fuel unit since natural gas is not ran up by my house and I don't have propane either. There is a pretty substantial price difference going from the XR14 to the XL15. If I read things right the 2 stage heat only comes into play with gas correct?