Post Likes

JCI Maptool issues

Just got a new laptop Win10 and have had nothing but issues connecting to the CrapTool. We have 4 guys using these new laptops and were all having problems with these things. Old laptop, IPad, IPhone all work fine. First one was the minute I tried to login into the Map wireless network this microsoft rediret page would launch and fail the connection. I was able to resolve that by editing somethings in the registry. Then after what appears to be a connection is made and trying to launch the webpage.
    www.mapgwy.com the thing just sticks on not a secure site. I'm assuming with the new browsers your not able to proceed to a non secure site and login. I was able to get MS Edge to do it one time and bypass the secure login but that was it. Are most guys importing the signed certificate in the browsers to get this to work? Sorry for the silly questions! HVAC repair guy playing controls guy here!!

Post Likes
    Did you try Chrome? It should still say itís insecure on the webpage but down at the bottom you can go to advanced and click proceed anyway then should get to the sign in page.

Iím not very impressed with it as a controls guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The training class I sat through earlier this year those things looked like the biggest PITA. There was an update that supposedly fixed things everyone was flashing to them. Still not a day went by that someone wasn't screwing around with getting connected to it.

Using selfie certs by default, why add the misery? Turn SSL off by default unless you really need the additional hassle.

How hard is it to have DHCP running that also includes an internal dns server record? The only answer from that dns is the damn things internal websever. http://ihatethisturd.fu should bring the interface up.
    Last edited by orion242; 09-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    The branches are having a fair amount of trouble on the Windows 10 machines. Most JCI field techs are still using windows 7, but a large scale upgrade to Windows 10 is getting ready to happen. The MAP problems will get fixed in a hurry then
    I don’t think the issue with Windows 10 is a dns/dhcp issue. Several problems were identified from security policies, firewall issues, and a few WiFi chipset incompatibilities. It’s a real mess. Windows 7 is solid.
    I think there is a new flash coming out in a couple weeks. I will keep you posted

Post Likes
    To be honest I’ve been using the Map since it’s release. I have 3 or 4 of the things now I’ve collected.
    Only once or twice I’ve used a laptop. 99% of the time it’s just easier to use my phone.
    The ones I’ve heard having problems, chrome seemed to fix the issue.
    ďI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

ďItís not whether you get knocked down, itís whether you get up.Ē - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    The WiFi is great as I can get further out and itís faster than BTCVT, except when I need my hotspot WiFi too.
    Hardwiring sucks as if you timeout, then you gotta do the whole reconnecting process again.
    Canít change the bacnet MAC or instance I last recall, and would cause issues having 2 instances of 1 if it and the BTCVT/or another map were on the same trunk.
    I does allow you to look at and setup TECs which is nice, why canít CCT do it too then..

I feel like theyíre trying to do too much with it. Make it easy like KMCs router, but make it more compact like the Map currently and thatíd be great.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JCIman View Post
    The branches are having a fair amount of trouble on the Windows 10 machines. Most JCI field techs are still using windows 7, but a large scale upgrade to Windows 10 is getting ready to happen. The MAP problems will get fixed in a hurry then
    I donít think the issue with Windows 10 is a dns/dhcp issue. Several problems were identified from security policies, firewall issues, and a few WiFi chipset incompatibilities. Itís a real mess. Windows 7 is solid.
    I think there is a new flash coming out in a couple weeks. I will keep you posted
    Myself and a coworker have been fighting these things for over a week with the new laptops. Interesting about the chipset incompatibilities he bought an external wifi adapter and has had way more success connecting, even though it appears to be way slower. So we both were thinking something was up with our internal cards. I hope this upcoming update happens quickly and is pushed down to us lowly non branch peeps fast. Thankful my BTCVT is still an option even though its dog slow in the new CCT13.0.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bolt950rider View Post
    The WiFi is great as I can get further out and itís faster than BTCVT, except when I need my hotspot WiFi too.
    Hardwiring sucks as if you timeout, then you gotta do the whole reconnecting process again.
    Canít change the bacnet MAC or instance I last recall, and would cause issues having 2 instances of 1 if it and the BTCVT/or another map were on the same trunk.
    I does allow you to look at and setup TECs which is nice, why canít CCT do it too then..

I feel like theyíre trying to do too much with it. Make it easy like KMCs router, but make it more compact like the Map currently and thatíd be great.

The biggest advantage to the BTCVT was you could be connected to it Via bluetooth, and then using WIFI be connected to the a Jace and have the ability to be mobile commissioning both pieces. I HATE!! connecting to the map then disconnecting to my hotspot back and forth is a workflow time waste.

9. Likes bolt950rider liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    The training class I sat through earlier this year those things looked like the biggest PITA. There was an update that supposedly fixed things everyone was flashing to them. Still not a day went by that someone wasn't screwing around with getting connected to it.

Using selfie certs by default, why add the misery? Turn SSL off by default unless you really need the additional hassle.

How hard is it to have DHCP running that also includes an internal dns server record? The only answer from that dns is the damn things internal websever. http://ihatethisturd.fu should bring the interface up.
    Yep had the same experience in a class about 6 months ago. The URL you listed would be more applicable instead of www.crapgwy.com for sure. The price of the thing is also an absolute screw job. For the price you'd think it would at least work?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bolt950rider View Post
    Did you try Chrome? It should still say itís insecure on the webpage but down at the bottom you can go to advanced and click proceed anyway then should get to the sign in page.

Iím not very impressed with it as a controls guy.

Yes I've tried chrome, edge, and firefox. One time I got to the login page with Edge and entered the creds and it just sat there and never logged in for about 5 minutes!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Norriski Tech View Post
    I HATE!! connecting to the map then disconnecting to my hotspot back and forth is a workflow time waste.
    Exactly. Out in the field I'm always tethering to my phone for internet access for emails and such. Flipping back and forth is a PITA. Serial cable, so simple and hassle free. Those where the days...

Quote Originally Posted by Norriski Tech View Post
    Yes I've tried chrome, edge, and firefox. One time I got to the login page with Edge and entered the creds and it just sat there and never logged in for about 5 minutes!
    Shame on you for using an OS that's current. Just need to roll back to Win7, which has less than 6 months of support left. Or just wait a few months until JCI throws the same issues on all their techs and decides to fix the miserable thing.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Exactly. Out in the field I'm always tethering to my phone for internet access for emails and such. Flipping back and forth is a PITA. Serial cable, so simple and hassle free. Those where the days...

Shame on you for using an OS that's current. Just need to roll back to Win7, which has less than 6 months of support left. Or just wait a few months until JCI throws the same issues on all their techs and decides to fix the miserable thing.
    I brought this up to the JCI guys at their traveling road show, and they seemed like why is that a problem? My office is in the field 90 percent of the time, I don't sit an route through a jace, or have the controllers on a bench right next to me most of the time. Why couldn't they have included bluetooth with the map? It does seem with the new software the bluetooth is horrid slow, so maybe something to do with that? I mean my phone has both? Is that a hard thing to do?

Oh trust me I was one of the last in our shop to move to Win10. My old laptop they will never pry from my hands, but it was getting very tired. New laptop is a freaking racer car! We moved away from Dell, and went with Think pads. Shop let me pick mine out, and first impressions is I will never use a dell again.