Post Likes

New House Questions: Consedate Pumps, Wet Spot, Inadequate return air.

My parents just bought a new home, I was checking the HVAC and had a few questions. There are 3 heat pumps. 1 per floor. Home is 10 years old.

1. The 2 air handlers in the basement have there consedate drains ending in a pump. The pumps come on occasionally and run for 20 seconds or so, pumping the water up the the basement ceiling and out the side of the house through a tube, and then into the ground. I have no idea where it goes from there. But both HVAC units sit right next to a floor drain. Is there a reason they may have set it up this way instead of just draining into this floor drain? And having a water sensor to shut down the units if the drain somehow backs up.

2. The air handler in the attic seems to be leaking condensate from a joint. I can't tell from the picture where it's coming from. Any ideas?

3. There are no return air filters at the units, they are at these big return registers throughout the house. Only 1 or 2 on each unit. I've seen this in apartments before, but not a house. Is this standard for new construction?
    The limited return grills seem to work reasonable well for the basement and 1st floor, but the 2nd floor has all of the supply registers in bedrooms and a bathroom, and the single return grill is in the hallway in the middle. But it doesn't seem to cool well with the doors closed, and the air pressure is so strong that its difficult to open the closed doors while the unit is running.
    I am under the impression that putting jumper vents through the doors or walls would help, but would increase noise a lot, because it's bacially just a hole in the wall with a register. Since the attic is accessible if we end up putting a return in each bedroom, is it a concern to have both the supplies and returns in the ceiling? Would it be possible in a retrofit like this to use a stud bay as a return, placing the register at the bottom of the wall, and cutting out a section of the wall's top plate from the attic, so a duct can be attached there?

Thank you

Post Likes
    Here is a picture of the wet spot in the attic:

Name:  IMG_20190917_132831.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20190917_133217.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  87.4 KB

Post Likes
    What is the second photo relevance?

In the first photo, if the dark area is the wet spot you refer to it needs someone to determine where it is coming from, and sooner than later!!

Can they drain into a floor drain, most likely. Was there a reason they used a pump, most likely.

Is this on a septic system or city/county sewer?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    What is the second photo relevance?

In the first photo, if the dark area is the wet spot you refer to it needs someone to determine where it is coming from, and sooner than later!!

Can they drain into a floor drain, most likely. Was there a reason they used a pump, most likely.

Is this on a septic system or city/county sewer?

The 2nd photo is pretty irrelevant, lol. Just showing area around unit.
    Yes, that's the wet spot. It seems kind of oily too. Will have to get a tech out to check it.
    Septic system. Maybe they did it too reduce water going through the system?
    Also noticed none of the outdoor condenser units blow very hot air when cooling. They are 13 SEER.