Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 198
  1. #66
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    7,075
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I'm sorry to hear how things turned out in your case but unfortunately your experience is very common in our court system today. It is mostly because of the mindset of the people(jury) that have been brainwashed by insurance companies & big business into thinking most personal injury & malpractice cases are a scam. I have family & friends that are attorneys & they told me that you virtually never want to go to trial on a personal injury case unless the jury can see your bodily damages. The main reason insurance companies settle is because of the expense of going to trial & not because they're afraid of losing. They know if they go to trial they're most likely not going to have to pay much if anything at all. The news media always sensationalizes the rare frivolous or big award but you don't hear about the countless awards that were deserved & not given. I was in a mediation one day where the attorney had just came in after losing a personal injury case that he thought was a slam dunk for his client. He asked one the jurors afterwards why they ruled against his client. The guy said the jurors didn't want their insurance rates to go up & that was the main reason they voted the way they did. This is what the average person is up against if they decide to go to trial against an insurance company even though insurance is not even allowed to be mentioned in the courtroom.
    Unfortunately, a huge percentage of them are. Personal injury lawyers abound. Around here, the billboards are on every corner of the low income areas, and they pander to low income cultures that are more likely to sue. For them, getting in an accident is like winning the lottery. They don't have to go out of pocket, they just wait for the check. Insurance companies will mostly settle since, as mentioned, it's cheaper than going to court. It's an industry.

    These lawyers advertise with actors excitedly proclaiming that they called 'Scumbag at Law' and got a check for $100,000.00, luring the poor and those looking for 'easy money'.

    Even though he may have been joking, Shakespeare had it right: "First, we kill all the lawyers".

  2. Likes Brian8383 liked this post
  3. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    23,219
    Post Likes
    Even though he may have been joking, Shakespeare had it right: "First, we kill all the lawyers".
    This!

    I don't think he was joking though... profound wisdom to be sure!
    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

  4. Likes Brian8383 liked this post
  5. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    9,956
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I'm sorry to hear how things turned out in your case but unfortunately your experience is very common in our court system today. It is mostly because of the mindset of the people(jury) that have been brainwashed by insurance companies & big business into thinking most personal injury & malpractice cases are a scam. I have family & friends that are attorneys & they told me that you virtually never want to go to trial on a personal injury case unless the jury can see your bodily damages. The main reason insurance companies settle is because of the expense of going to trial & not because they're afraid of losing. They know if they go to trial they're most likely not going to have to pay much if anything at all. The news media always sensationalizes the rare frivolous or big award but you don't hear about the countless awards that were deserved & not given. I was in a mediation one day where the attorney had just came in after losing a personal injury case that he thought was a slam dunk for his client. He asked one the jurors afterwards why they ruled against his client. The guy said the jurors didn't want their insurance rates to go up & that was the main reason they voted the way they did. This is what the average person is up against if they decide to go to trial against an insurance company even though insurance is not even allowed to be mentioned in the courtroom.
    Gary,
    Whenever I read your stuff I am usually amazed at your wisdom. The fact that a few here can't see it is a testament to their ignorance.

    You are correct, insurance cannot be mentioned in court. Nor can settlement offers, and the lack thereof. As for my attorney, IMO, he was slaughtered. He could not get up to speed when questioning me or any of the other 10 witnesses. So much was not said while the other side lied their a$$es off. I had to sit there and watch this all go down muted. I wanted to re-take the stand to clear some of it up but my attorney did not want to expose me to more cross-examination by opposing counsel. That was a mistake.

    I believe much of the success in personal injury is that one side will settle to avoid trial. So the lawyer just gets in between the money. Easy! In my case they knew a jury could be swayed like the dolts on this board. They knew that the jury would disregard all the laws and safety policies a professional contractor must follow to keep the public safe, much like a few here are doing. They knew there was an attitude against cyclists, especially where I live where there's a heavy presence of cyclists. If a young pretty girl ripped her face open on the back of the truck the jury would have ruled in her favor. If a lady tripped and fell on a contractor's 2x4 on the sidewalk that was not roped off, they would rule in her favor. But since I was one of those 'damn cyclists' they said 'F' em.

    You are also correct about showing the injury in the courtroom. My attorney showed pics of my hand just after the accident and showed it after surgery with four inches of stitches. But he never showed the x-rays of the crushed and misaligned bone. Another big mistake! The jury should have gotten a good visual (x-ray) of the actual permanent damage. Instead they saw my hand look almost perfect because my surgeon took courses in plastic surgery and the scare is almost invisible.

    I wore a suit every day and was mistaken to be an attorney about five times. Another big mistake. I shouldn't have even worn a sport coat. I should have looked like a contractor. My wife took the stand and said she was a Project Manager for a major wireless carrier. Another big mistake. They likely thought that we were rich, or at least had more money than them. My wife once pointed to the wireless system on the courtroom ceiling and said "we built out the system this courthouse," when asked what does she do. Another high-talking mistake.

    You have to assume that some/most of the jurors are as dumb and biased as some of the guys here.

  6. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    9,956
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    Unfortunately, a huge percentage of them are. Personal injury lawyers abound. Around here, the billboards are on every corner of the low income areas, and they pander to low income cultures that are more likely to sue. For them, getting in an accident is like winning the lottery. They don't have to go out of pocket, they just wait for the check. Insurance companies will mostly settle since, as mentioned, it's cheaper than going to court. It's an industry.

    These lawyers advertise with actors excitedly proclaiming that they called 'Scumbag at Law' and got a check for $100,000.00, luring the poor and those looking for 'easy money'.

    Even though he may have been joking, Shakespeare had it right: "First, we kill all the lawyers".
    How would you know that?

  7. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    6,432
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    Unfortunately, a huge percentage of them are. Personal injury lawyers abound. Around here, the billboards are on every corner of the low income areas, and they pander to low income cultures that are more likely to sue. For them, getting in an accident is like winning the lottery. They don't have to go out of pocket, they just wait for the check. Insurance companies will mostly settle since, as mentioned, it's cheaper than going to court. It's an industry.

    These lawyers advertise with actors excitedly proclaiming that they called 'Scumbag at Law' and got a check for $100,000.00, luring the poor and those looking for 'easy money'.

    Even though he may have been joking, Shakespeare had it right: "First, we kill all the lawyers".
    The problem is that the frivolous cases get settled for the $5,000.00 figures because it's cheaper for the insurance companies to settle than to spend the money it takes to go to trial even if they assume a jury would probably not award anything. The public is so well informed about the frivolous side that they are already prejudiced against the plaintiff when they get on the jury. The rare frivolous cases I'm talking about are the ones that actually go to trial & not the ones that are conveniently settled. With the thousands of trials that go on in this country every year you would think there would be thousands of frivolous trials or verdicts where people get ridiculous awards every year too, but it just doesn't happen. We should be hearing about a hundred cases like those every day in the news. I'm sure there have been plenty through the years but without doing any research I can't think of any in my lifetime. We have been conditioned to side with the insurance companies in personal injury cases when they go to trial. They've even convinced us that frivolous malpractice suits are a major reason healthcare is so expensive. It just ain't so.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

  8. Likes davidadavis liked this post
  9. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    9,956
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Did you guys not know...

    GC is above the law and rules...
    Are you saying that professional traffic control companies are above the laws and rules too?

    Geez GA, did you even read the thread?

    Over the last year and a half I personally walked up to about seven other traffic control companies that were set up on the street. I explained what happened to me. They ALL said that that company was in major violation. But what do they know? They only do it professionally for a living.

  10. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    9,956
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    I would have counter sued you for court costs and lawyers fees.
    Would you?

    You need to brush up on "The American Rule."

  11. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Living rent free
    Posts
    6,357
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Would you?

    You need to brush up on "The American Rule."
    Still, a febble attempt of a frivolous, false claim. You should be ashamed.

    Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

    All those who wander..are not lost.

    Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

    The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  12. Likes Brian8383 liked this post
  13. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    9,956
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    Still, a febble attempt of a frivolous, false claim. You should be ashamed.
    OK, laws apply to me but not to them. I am ashamed. Thank you for teaching me that.

    I wonder something. Put me aside. When you read Gary's posts, did any of it resonate with you? Did you learn anything from them because they were full of facts regarding personal injury cases?

  14. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    12,621
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    I would have counter sued you for court costs and lawyers fees. You had absolutely no case. The very idea, that you think you can sue someone else for your obvious stupidity, running into the back of a freaking parked vehicle, is absurd. Score one for the good guys, the jury. I'm surprised you're not being held accountable for a frivolous law suit.

    Sent from The Lions Lair
    Exactly.

    Every frivolous lawsuit has plaintiff who thinks they are right. We all see frivolous lawsuits happen all the time. The plaintif that brought that lawsuit believes they have a valid case. They feel it deep down in their core.

    We all can see they are nuts. But they will never see it.

    GC is one of those guys. But like them, he will never see it. No matter how many people tell him he's nuts. Including a jury.



    Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)


    “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

  16. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  17. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    12,621
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Are you saying that professional traffic control companies are above the laws and rules too?

    Geez GA, did you even read the thread?

    Over the last year and a half I personally walked up to about seven other traffic control companies that were set up on the street. I explained what happened to me. They ALL said that that company was in major violation. But what do they know? They only do it professionally for a living.
    Yeah. We read it. You hit a parked vehicle.

    Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)


    “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

  18. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  19. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    12,621
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    OK, laws apply to me but not to them. I am ashamed. Thank you for teaching me that.

    I wonder something. Put me aside. When you read Gary's posts, did any of it resonate with you? Did you learn anything from them because they were full of facts regarding personal injury cases?
    No. Laws do apply to them. They should have gotten a parking ticket. And you a should have seen and avoided a parked truck.

    Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)


    “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

  20. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  21. #78
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    7,075
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    How would you know that?
    How is it that you don't?

  22. Likes lions_lair, Brian8383 liked this post
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •