Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillendamost View Post
    It's hard to believe that there was a 4 ton originally.....thinking maybe the salesman had trouble reading the model number maybe....
    Actually around here 3-4 ton for around that size mobile home from that era seemed to be a common practice on the original install.I am sure it was more of a guessing game on the Equipment size needed from the mobile home manufacturer and set-up and installer.

Post Likes
    I work in field service for a giant company and follow up on this kind of garbage all the time. I have only been here 2 years but I have the reputation to be able to raise hell and push back on the install crew. This kind of work is simply not acceptable. GARBAGE. Some people hate me already because i just call like I see it. If the install does not match code OR THE MANUAL’S clear instructions. I call the boss and let em have it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Speaking of mobile homes and crappy work, just ran a call today.

Our salesman sold an outdoor unit only for a double-wide about a month ago. Went out today for no A/C, found it locked out on HP. Looks like he sold a 4-ton Rheem HP on an existing 2-ton Nordyne micro-channel mobile-home AHU. I emailed him and retrofit department my findings and he's looking for every way out of it. Boss is going to pissed on Monday.
    I have always had trouble with 4 ton heat pumps on mobile homes tripping hp switch in heat mode. 3 1/2 works fine but 4 just can't get enough heat out on a mild day "with" the right coil.

Post Likes
    We have all seen bad quality but that looks like it takes 1st place lol.

Post Likes
    Workmanship was much better back in the day. Now its quick and dirty but it does work. Guys don't get paid to care, no benefits or pension, so beer money. Installers get no respect.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Only replaced the outdoor unit, a 4-ton for a 4-ton. According to the customer, the coil was replaced a couple years ago. Old heat pump was 20+ years old from what the customer recalls.
    Some of those model numbers have like ABC36F024ABC and when youre in a hurry you dont realize it had 2 sets of numbers

So you assume it was a 3 ton , when in fact its a 2 ton

And some dont even give you the BTU's , the numbers could stand for a "series" or date code , so you have to be careful

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iceicebaby View Post
    Workmanship was much better back in the day. Now its quick and dirty but it does work. Guys don't get paid to care, no benefits or pension, so beer money. Installers get no respect.
    Maybe this was installed by that guy with 4 months total experience that wants a raise.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    Maybe this was installed by that guy with 4 months total experience that wants a raise.
    I got a raise after 3 months in the field. Started out at $5, after 90 days I got a $1 raise, all the way up to $6.

Then after being there for a whole year they gave me a raise up to $11. I quit four months after that. And went somewhere where my wage was $30 hour.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123