Post Likes

home warranty wants replace trane compressor with copeland

their HVAC tech diagnose bad compressor.
    the warranty company will not order the trane compressor spr061a1rpa (com11204). too $$

it will only replace with copeland AC tech advised to use ZR54K5E-PFV-800. I will have to pay for modification to fit rotoloc and other stuff..

the trane compressor is a 5 ton while the copeland is 4.5. Shouldn't the replacement be a 5 ton or are they trying to go cheaper.

Is this an good solution? Any better suggestion can't afford to replace system now. Buyout is low around $1100.

Post Likes
    Please get a real contractor and loose the H W C !!!

Post Likes
    Home warranty will not do the right thing. They are NOT an insurance company.
    Get a real contractor.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

4. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Home warranty will not do the right thing. They are NOT an insurance company.
    Get a real contractor.
    I’ll disagree.......
    They’ll do the right thing for themselves, screw the homeowner!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by danlee29 View Post
    their HVAC tech diagnose bad compressor.
    the warranty company will not order the trane compressor spr061a1rpa (com11204). too $$

it will only replace with copeland AC tech advised to use ZR54K5E-PFV-800. I will have to pay for modification to fit rotoloc and other stuff..

the trane compressor is a 5 ton while the copeland is 4.5. Shouldn't the replacement be a 5 ton or are they trying to go cheaper.

Is this an good solution? Any better suggestion can't afford to replace system now. Buyout is low around $1100.
    First of all, if they are offering to give you $1100 I would take it, and then cancel the home warranty and then get another company out there. Those home warranty companies are known for doing sub-par work and often causing more problems than they solve.

With that being said, I would have no problem with a company wanting to replace a Trane compressor with a Copeland. The Trane might be slightly better quality, but if installed correctly a Copeland should work just fine. As to the compressor being undersized slightly, this might actually be a good thing, as most people's homes have over sized air conditioners in them to begin with. An undersized compressor could end up working out better allowing for longer run times, better de-humidification, more comfort, lower overall power usage, and a longer life.

With that being said, it would probably be easiest and best to replace the entire condensing unit instead of just the compressor, and it might not cost much more. It would also be good to find someone to do a whole house load calculation (manual J) to see if you actually need a 5 ton unit. Like I said, smaller (or actually correctly sized) air conditoners are almost always better than over-sized ones.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    If the current comp is a recip type, I would not replace with a scroll. If it is an Alliance scroll, that's essentially a Copeland. Like the dog says, take the money & run. Steve Miller sang it too. Then get ya a REAL contractor to decide what is best based on age and condition of system.

Post Likes
    Stand back. You will have a contract you signed and that is what you will have to abide by. Unfortunately they wrote the contract in their favor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by danlee29 View Post
    it will only replace with copeland AC tech advised to use ZR54K5E-PFV-800. I will have to pay for modification to fit rotolock and other stuff.
    Wow! I can't imagine them wanting to do that, I guess these HW companies must be feeling the pinch of some customers waking up. I don't know what your contract says as for a replacing parts, but what they're suggesting, just seems like a lot of extra labor.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    You have good advice already but I will add my opinion, the Copeland 4.5 is fine.

Post Likes
    I believe that all new Trane units have eliminated the rotolok fittings. Also I was told a while back that replacement compressors will start coming without rotolok on them in the future.

That being said, if they are offering a buyout, take it and get a qualified contractor to either replace the system or replace the compressor properly. Finding a properly repaired or replaced unit from a home warranty contractor is worse than finding a honest politician.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    First of all, if they are offering to give you $1100 I would take it, and then cancel the home warranty and then get another company out there. Those home warranty companies are known for doing sub-par work and often causing more problems than they solve.

With that being said, I would have no problem with a company wanting to replace a Trane compressor with a Copeland. The Trane might be slightly better quality, but if installed correctly a Copeland should work just fine. As to the compressor being undersized slightly, this might actually be a good thing, as most people's homes have over sized air conditioners in them to begin with. An undersized compressor could end up working out better allowing for longer run times, better de-humidification, more comfort, lower overall power usage, and a longer life.

With that being said, it would probably be easiest and best to replace the entire condensing unit instead of just the compressor, and it might not cost much more. It would also be good to find someone to do a whole house load calculation (manual J) to see if you actually need a 5 ton unit. Like I said, smaller (or actually correctly sized) air conditoners are almost always better than over-sized ones.
    thanks all for input

options:

replace compressor - $1100 buyout + 500 need to pay their contractor (modifications, cleaning coils, not included items.. ) = total $1600.
    It's warranty contracted company that would do the work. Anything must be done or watch out for? Only 90 day warranty on the work done.

replace compressor/condenser - (R22 unit) with R410a wouldn't they need to change the evaporator? looks like previous owner had some work done on it. Wouldn't this be much more expensive?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Response View Post
    That being said, if they are offering a buyout, take it and get a qualified contractor to either replace the system or replace the compressor properly. Finding a properly repaired or replaced unit from a home warranty contractor is worse than finding a honest politician.
    What he said