Post Likes

92 vs 95 efficiency for ranch rome

My home is approx 1500 sq ft, 50 year old ranch with an 80 efficiency furnace. Looking to replace with either a Rheem or Ducane 92 vs 95 efficiency in IN (harsh winters). Pro advice would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    Only advantage of 95% is many gas companies offer a rebate starting at 95%. Also if looking higher end they will be 95 or more. One of our teams is putting in a 98% with 13 levels of heat. Talk about comfort.

Make sure the dealer does a load calc and doesn't oversize. Too many do.

Post Likes
    A 90%+ furnace will need to flow more air volume than your old furnace did and since most homes have oversized equipment on undersized ducting, you may need to make ducting improvements. Usually adding a extra return or enlarging the current one is sufficient, but tell the salesperson about noisy registers and rooms that arent as comfy as you want when they are bidding it as new equipment wont fix it and may make these problems worse if no improvements are made. Something to keep in mind is that the btu/hour rating you'll see qouted are always the input, so say you have a 100k btu furnace that's 80% efficient, that furnace puts out 80k btu/hr, a 95% will put out 95k btu/hr. This is why like size but higher efficiency should not be installed, it's actually a larger capacity system. I'd recommend doing a free Manual J online at Loadcalc.net and see what you come up with for heat gain/loss

Post Likes
    The higher the efficiency the more likely service is needed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    The higher the efficiency the more likely service is needed.
    Going to have to agree with you on this one....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel2019 View Post
    My home is approx 1500 sq ft, 50 year old ranch with an 80 efficiency furnace. Looking to replace with either a Rheem or Ducane 92 vs 95 efficiency in IN (harsh winters). Pro advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you for the responses. Thoughts on brand Rheem vs. Dukane?

Post Likes
    Thank you for the responses. Thoughts on brand Rheem vs. Dukane?
    Concentrate more on the installing contractor then the name on the Equipment !

Post Likes
    If the 92% has a PSC motor, I recommend that one. The 95% is likely to have an ECM. It won’t last long on undersized ducts.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    These are the brands offered on the best bids, doing my research on product also.

Post Likes
    These are the brands offered on the best bids, doing my research on product also.
    Consumer brand advice on hvac equipment is extremely unreliable and unrealistic. Nothing regarding install quality, correct sizing or other outside influences are taken into consideration. So whatever brand is #1 on a consumer report website, could wind up being an unreliable energy hog that you regret buying.
    Your best to hire a great installer. Not search for a specific brand then hire whomever carries them.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    How many BTU's is the old furnace?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Agree heavily with Pecmsg, there are some trade offs for that efficiency such as acidic condensation that occurs when a condensing furnace runs. This stuff eats heat exchangers and quite a bit is produced so some method of draining this must be provided.

I also agree with Rider77, every brand review I've ever seen was negative and can almost always be traced back to not following written install instructions or adhering to industry best practices. It takes longer and costs more. Plus there are like 50 hvac brands that are owned by 5 manufacturers and they only make the coils, heat exchangers and cabinet panels. So it doesnt matter if you like Trane, Carrier or Lennox they're all going to have a White Rogers or Honeywell gas valve in it, and every manufacturer makes the same tier levels of equipment, single/multi/modulating staged equipment. Not a guarantee of a good install but the contractor that mentions ducting improvements being recommended or necessary is probably a better contractor than those that say it's fine as is. Equipment that's oversized connected to leaky undersized ducting is par for the course

Post Likes
    There is minimal diff in equipment between a 92 and a 95. 92s usually are a builder model so may be missing things like blower compartment insulation. Whether it has an ECM or not depends on model and when made. Everything after build date of 7/3/19 will have an ECM.

We have sold a s-load of Rheem furnaces. Sis has a field test unit from 1993 of the 34" platform and it is going strong. We also have sold Allied furnaces which is Ducane, essentially Lennox. Ducane is positioned as the lower end Allied. Furnaces are like the Lennox Merit builder models. Both Rheem & Ducane are made in Mexico.