Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Commercial Boiler Venting Questions

I am new to the boiler venting design world and was hoping that someone could shed some light on some questions I have as I am trying to learn the best practices. Looking for info more on the CAT II, III, and IV side of venting.

1) What are some of the biggest mistakes and challenges with boiler venting?
    2) What are common design practices?
    3) How is boiler vent duct size determined?
    4) For forced air boilers, are these on/off or how do they operate?
    5) Dedicated run per boiler vs. common venting.

Thank you.

Post Likes
    Go to the manufacturer for the info you want. There are too many boiler designs for us to give you the answers you need. The most common problem I saw was not providing the correct room pressure which caused the boiler to flame out.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Start w/ RSES,SAM# 630-131,"Gas Heating Venting Tables",
    Then try the "National Fuel Gas Code Handbook",
    Then try Hart&Cooley "Gas Vent & Chimney Systems"
    Then try Field Controls Co. "Engineering Manual"
    Then try Carrier Applied Heating, "Ventilation & Combustion Air" Form # GTH7-101
    For starters. You are fooling w/ peoples lives here.

All a Good Read!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Go to the manufacturer for the info you want. There are too many boiler designs for us to give you the answers you need. The most common problem I saw was not providing the correct room pressure which caused the boiler to flame out.
    X2 on that.

Check each and every Mfrg IOM for "THEIR" requirements which should match all the reading material I gave you.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=WAYNE3298;25782074]Go to the manufacturer for the info you want. There are too many boiler designs for us to give you the answers you need. The most common problem I saw was not providing the correct room pressure which caused the boiler to flame out

Twitchy finger.

Post Likes
    Terry I haven't done boiler design in years. The ones I worked on were steam coal fired. They were big boilers with ID & FD fans. You gave some good references. I would add Babcock and Wilcock to that list. They have a good book with general discussion on boilers. The smallest ones I worked on were 250,000 Pounds per hour.
    Doing water balance the only boilers with work to do on are water.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerductguy View Post
    I am new to the boiler venting design world and was hoping that someone could shed some light on some questions I have as I am trying to learn the best practices. Looking for info more on the CAT II, III, and IV side of venting.

1) What are some of the biggest mistakes and challenges with boiler venting?
    2) What are common design practices?
    3) How is boiler vent duct size determined?
    4) For forced air boilers, are these on/off or how do they operate?
    5) Dedicated run per boiler vs. common venting.

Thank you.
    It varies a lot with what boiler you are installing. We could be here all night talking about the multitude of options.

When in doubt read the install manual. It will answer most every question you have. and if you follow it you should not have any issues.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=TechmanTerry;25782083]
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Go to the manufacturer for the info you want. There are too many boiler designs for us to give you the answers you need. The most common problem I saw was not providing the correct room pressure which caused the boiler to flame out

Twitchy finger.
    they never calculate make up air. 500k boiler. " but there is space under the door"

Post Likes
    Common venting mistakes;

Vent too big

Vent too small

Improper common venting

No barometric damper

Negative pressure in the room causing the flue pipe to become a intake pipe

A draft gauge and combustion analyzer are your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Just a Jaw Flapper here Bros. Just between you and me,ok now.? Just how many CubicFeet of unhindered air is required to "PROPERLY" burn just 1 CF of Natural Gas?????. OK, ok, "UP TO" how many CF of breathable air with a piece of crap 1970 Res Furnace.

Just between you and me and "them", just how many CUFT of "air" is required to burn just 1 gallon of #2 Fuel Oil?????? Of course, PROPERLY,of course!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Just a Jaw Flapper here Bros. Just between you and me,ok now.? Just how many CubicFeet of unhindered air is required to "PROPERLY" burn just 1 CF of Natural Gas?????. OK, ok, "UP TO" how many CF of breathable air with a piece of crap 1970 Res Furnace.

Just between you and me and "them", just how many CUFT of "air" is required to burn just 1 gallon of #2 Fuel Oil?????? Of course, PROPERLY,of course!
    Not a lot

Post Likes
    No offence , ok,but thats like saying "I got normal P/T's" on a regular degree day",,,

Post Likes
    Old 1970 furnace - .5cfm per CF
    Oil #2 - 24cfm per gallon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast