+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SALT LAKE: Anybody here that is NOT afraid to put a 4 ton ASHP in a 3000 sf new home?

Post Likes

SALT LAKE: Anybody here that is NOT afraid to put a 4 ton ASHP in a 3000 sf new home?

We have a client who wants all electric. He's building a new house in the Salt Lake City area.

We are having a heck of a time getting a contractor who has the stones to do this project. Not an impressive group of people so far.

Anybody here know a contractor with more than 1 year experience 20x?

Post Likes
    We have a SLC member, let me brush the cobwebs out of my noggin and come up with his handle.

Post Likes
    Look for slctech or send message

Post Likes
    https://www.electricitylocal.com/sta...alt-lake-city/
    _______ $0.103 / KW-HR

R-40 CEILING
    R-20 WALLS
    SUPERIOR WINDOWS
    MINIMAL INFILTRATION

5,500 HEATING DEGREE DAYS ___ ASHRAE 99% __ 14'F
    1,300 COOLING DEGREE DAYS ___ ASHRAE 1% __ 95.4'F /61.9'F

INCLUDE SOLAR PV System: perhaps ~ 8,000 TO 10,000 WATTS

__ NO PROBLEMS with a Heat Pump, except defrost ...
    __ However, UT dryness may mitigate that somewhat.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    GENERIC EXAMPLE - 2019 BUILD
    ________________ 4 TON, 2 STAGE

Auxilary Heat 6 kw
    Emergency Heat 6 kw
    __________ __ 12 KW

SOLAR PV 10KW -- 15,400 KWHR ANNUAL
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. Great posts Dan, 14 degree design temp!?!

We've been removing gas meters in Cleveland since 2013. Five degree design.

All heat pumps or hybrids. Case studies here:
    http://energysmartohio.com/case-studies/

Post Likes

REFERENCE

ASHRAE FUNDAMENTALS 2017

______ SLC, UT

99.6% ___ 9.9'F ___ < 40 HOURS / YEAR
    99.0% ___ 14.4'F __ < 88 HOURS / YEAR

1.0% ___ 95.4'F / 61.9'F

Post Likes
    I got the message. I am not sure why you would be having issues with finding anyone to install a basic heat pump unit on a home. Very common out here with remote areas where some folks are dealing with LP and they utilize dual fuel set for a designed balance point to switch over to help offset the cost of LP in the harshest times of winter. There has also been a giant boom in home solar arrays where they prefer the economical benefits using a HP for a majority of their heating needs, and then kick over to electric heat or more often than not they still have dual fuel with a gas furnace as an emergency backup, since natural gas is cheap in our area.

Now for the bad news, I have no interest in taking on the job, it is not that I can not do it, I have done my fair share, most recently three years ago on a home with all new solar, but I am no longer working in the residential or civil sector. Moved on up to the government and industrial arena. Learned a long time ago that side jobs are the true meaning of "no good deed goes without severe punishment"

With that said I will go back to the Private Messaging and give you some references.

Post Likes
    You have to be careful with these load calc programs out there, if you notice they are based on the elevation of the SLC Airport which sets at 4300 feet. Drive 10 miles west and your can be upto 5200 feet and head up the canyons that are saturated with residences and businesses on your way to the resort towns and you can be anywhere from 5000 to 7000 feet with in a few miles.
    So it is important to make sure that you know the approximate elevation before basing loads on what most of the load calc programs use. Will bite you in the butt if you are off by a 1000 feet...amazing the difference those 1000 feet make when it comes to mean temperature, blower performance, gas heating derations, etc.

Use this site to figure out the elevation of anywhere in the Salt Lake area, we call the "Wasatch Front". Just find your location and click on it and the elevation will pop up. Has been a great tool for me in the past when I was doing residential Man J and D calculations to submit to the city for approval and permitting.

https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/ma...alt-Lake-City/

Post Likes
    The "my elevation" app is pretty slick as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in