Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Pipe Dope Or No Pipe Dope?

Always get different answers for this question need to get to the bottom of it.

When checking gas pressure of a gas valve, must you dope the test port set screw/hex key when reinstalling or not?

Post Likes
    I've never doped them, and I don't recall ever seeing dope on them, so therefore I guess I'd have to say NO!
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    I've never doped them, and I don't recall ever seeing dope on them, so therefore I guess I'd have to say NO!
    Agree.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Agree. On some I’ve seen a red locktite strip on them but that’s it. I don’t dope them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I've done it in the past since I'm really careful with gas work but I think it's pointless. I've leak tested with and without it and it doesen't seem to leak either way, I just like the peace of mind.

I will put Teflon on it though.

Post Likes
    It seems like most of them have a clear grease type substance on them, maybe like a type of Nylog. I have never had an issue with struggling to get them out or leaking when they go back in.

So don't go goopin them up.

Post Likes
    No pipe dope!

Post Likes
    I've added some plumber grease to plug or cap on pressure adjustment, if its in a damp loaction, but otherwise no. I have had one w seized plug due to moisture.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    You already asked this in the resi section.
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...Pressure-Ports
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Never once in 35 years have I used pipe dope to do a Pressure test - I never thought about doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    IT'S A PIPE THREAD....DOPE IT!! (++)
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Read the installers manual! If it says to dope it then dope it. Never seen it or done it. Most all propane kits also do not say to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Taper pipe threads as found on pipe and fitting requires the use of a thread sealant to actually seal the spiral threads and to help in disassembly when if necessary.

The small plugs an gas valve are a DrySeal pipe thread. They do not require and lubricant or sealant to not leak

The small port plugs on gas valves are DrySeal threads and do not need to have any sealant/lubricant on them. However it you believe the threads could become galled during assembly it is acceptable to add a small quantity of lubricant.

So whatever you want to do is acceptable see below, from the SAE website:

Dryseal Pipe Threads J476_196106

The Dryseal American Standard Taper Pipe Thread, the Dryseal American Fuel Internal Straight Pipe Thread and the Dryseal American Intermediate Internal Straight Pipe Thread covered by this standard conform with the American Standard ASA-B2.2. The Dryseal SAE-Short Taper Pipe Thread in this standard conforms with the Dryseal American Standard Taper Pipe Thread except for the length of thread, which is shortened for increased clearance and economy of material. The significant feature of the Dryseal thread is controlled truncation at the crest and root to assure metal to metal contact coincident with or prior to flank contact. Contact at the crest and root prevents spiral leakage and insures pressure-tight joints without the use of a lubricant or sealer. Lubricants, if not functionally objectionable, may be used to minimize the possibility of galling in assembly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast