Post Likes

Difference between yellow and blue quick connect gas lines

Does anyone know the difference between the yellow and blue disconnect gas lines?

Post Likes
    If you are talking about the yellow corrugated hoses, around here they are only residential use.

If you are talking about yellow vs Blue coloured hoses of the same construction. At least dormont the yellow is meant for stationary appliances and the blue is meant for moveable appliances.

Cost is typically within a few bucks of the stationary vs mobile appliances so we just stock the blue.

Other brands and locations outside of NA will vary.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

3. Likes VanMan812 liked this post
    In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    As Protocol had stated, Dormont uses that color coding scheme to identify between THEIR hoses designed for stationary or moveable equipment. However, not all manufacturers follow that color coding.

According to Allpoints (a popular parts distributor): Hoses designed for stationary will typically be yellow, However, hoses for moveable equipment may be blue, gray, green, orange or yellow.

Here's their flyer published as a guide on gas hoses and connectors:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Blue is better, looks nicer.

Thought I just replaced 3 that were leaking at the swivel joint on the end connecting to the equipment, good to know why they are different colors though, I always liked the blue ones better just because the color is nicer, lol.

Post Likes
    So do only the blue ( mobile ) ones come with the swivel ?
    Seems that's how I remember it. The stationary ( yellow ) ones have one male & one female end. Yes ?

And by swivel I'm talking the 45° angle type or is it 90°

Post Likes
    The hose ends, male come with a swivel fitting so they rotate 360*, they don't have stops, both yellow and blue have that. Just the bare hose, no fittings. They sell seperate swivels you can get, which I have for some equipment but I haven't had one of those leak. yet.

Post Likes
    we have been coming across a ton of the blue quick disconnect dormont 3/4"x48" gas hoses leaking. we mainly find them leaking right where the blue parts ends near connector. im wondering if this is a flaw in product or from the night time cleaners being ruff pulling the units out

Post Likes
    yea they will leak there after a while

I think the worker bees pull the equipment back to hard

Nawww they would never .....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    yea they will leak there after a while

I think the worker bees pull the equipment back to hard

Nawww they would never .....

Equipment should be tethered to the wall to keep that from happening...

Post Likes
    Yeah right. Tethers are great when the place is brand new and the inspector is there, but it usually don't take long before someone disconnects and then "forgets" to hook them back up again.

I also think a big part of the problem is too many twists and turns in the way that they're hooked up. If the hose needs to force itself into a letter S, it's not good.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    I also think a big part of the problem is too many twists and turns in the way that they're hooked up. If the hose needs to force itself into a letter S, it's not good.
    Yup. The biggest problem I've seen that causes them to leak is improper installation. The hoses don't take hard bends near the ends well at all. Even the weight of the hose imposing itself on a bend at the hose's end will eventually cause a leak.

There are instructions provided with each new hose on how to install them properly. However, it takes too long to RTFM.

http://media.wattswater.com/IOM-D-1016.pdf
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    I always make the loop like on the instructions with new installs, when I’m just replacing an existing one I rarely bother unless it’s a simple change. It does keep the stress off the ends. Plus it just looks professional.