Thread: York micro channel vs tube-in-fin heat exchangers

Post Likes

York micro channel vs tube-in-fin heat exchangers

I'm getting someone to replace our extremely old (28 years) furnace and AC, and was quoted a York A/C condenser unit with a micro channel heat exchanger. The tube-in-fin option is about $ more, should I consider paying more? Dealer says micro channel is fine and I'm being silly, but I can't help to question why their top end models only come with tube-in-fin.

I know they settled their lawsuit, but I'm more interested in a general: "which is better" response, and nobody would know better than the people who regularly work on them.

Located in Ontario, Toronto area if it has any impact.

Hoping this topic has not been discussed to death, I did a google search and didn't find a definitive answer.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't want microchannel. Seen too many leaks. Funny that York brought back plate fin tube coils on a few of their models. Dealers must have been complaining.

Post Likes
    If you didn't have any reason to worry, then why is York upselling their tube and fin coils? I wouldn't use a microchannel anything.

Post Likes
    Somethings wrong.
    We use a lot of micro channels in refrigeration and I’ve only had 1 failure!

Post Likes
    Another vote for no on the micro channel. I have had several Guardians which came from the York distributor leak where the aluminum meets with the copper.

Post Likes
    Thank you all for the input, I decided to pay extra and get the tube-in-fin model.

Post Likes
    I should clarify, I dislike MC because they clog up pretty quickly with all the tree dandruff we have in my area. A lot of my commercial accounts with mc need a washing every 60 days or they dont keep up or start shutting dow on high pressure safeties, so maintenance is more critical imo on mc coils. I do appreciate the smaller refrigerant charge that comes with mc coils though

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in