Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever?

Post Likes

Have you ever?

So I have been working at my first HVAC job for about 5 weeks. I could write a book about the stupid things I have witnessed so far. However, the other day was just about the dumbest thing I have seen.

The work van I was working out of got a flat. Now the tech that is assigned to this van knew the tires were bald; I mentioned it day one. He said he “mentioned” it to the boss once and then proceeded to forget about it.

Anyway, the Friday before I also told him there was a screw in the tire and he should get it fixed; he didn’t.

Well there we were, flat tire at a job site. He proceeded to fill the tire with the nitrogen tank. He then asked me to put my finger over the hole in the tire. I asked “what is your plan?” He said he was going to put another screw in the tire and drive 20 plus miles on the interstate to the shops approved garage!

I said if that is your plan, you can ride by yourself. He said and I quote, “what do you think we should do?” I said we should change the dang tire!

He didn’t even know how to get the tire down from under the van for gods sake. So he sat in the van with the a/c on while I changed the tire in 97 degree weather. Yes, I was furious.

I told him new tires that day or I wasn’t riding with him no matter what the boss said. He then tells me that the tires were ordered and at the garage he just hadn’t went and got them installed yet. SMH, I am amazed at the level of stupid from someone that is 50yrs old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Guess they don’t pay for down time? But not knowing how to change a tire is unusual don’t know how much your going to learn from this guy
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

3. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Dont get in management then. My day job i manage 70 plus people from early 20s to late 60s. I am 36. Most of my issues come from the older crowds. I am paid babysitter for people's grown a** children.

I miss working on my tools so much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Guess they don’t pay for down time? But not knowing how to change a tire is unusual don’t know how much your going to learn from this guy
    They do pay, he is just lazy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Harris&harris View Post
    Dont get in management then. My day job i manage 70 plus people from early 20s to late 60s. I am 36. Most of my issues come from the older crowds. I am paid babysitter for people's grown a** children.

I miss working on my tools so much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I did plenty of managing in my 26yrs of military service. I do not wish to ever be a manager again.

Post Likes
    Tires on the company truck start getting bald I report it.

When they get to the point of being unsafe AKA the indicators are wearing I don't drive that truck!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
    So I have been working at my first HVAC job for about 5 weeks. I could write a book about the stupid things I have witnessed so far. However, the other day was just about the dumbest thing I have seen.

The work van I was working out of got a flat. Now the tech that is assigned to this van knew the tires were bald; I mentioned it day one. He said he “mentioned” it to the boss once and then proceeded to forget about it.

Anyway, the Friday before I also told him there was a screw in the tire and he should get it fixed; he didn’t.

Well there we were, flat tire at a job site. He proceeded to fill the tire with the nitrogen tank. He then asked me to put my finger over the hole in the tire. I asked “what is your plan?” He said he was going to put another screw in the tire and drive 20 plus miles on the interstate to the shops approved garage!

I said if that is your plan, you can ride by yourself. He said and I quote, “what do you think we should do?” I said we should change the dang tire!

He didn’t even know how to get the tire down from under the van for gods sake. So he sat in the van with the a/c on while I changed the tire in 97 degree weather. Yes, I was furious.

I told him new tires that day or I wasn’t riding with him no matter what the boss said. He then tells me that the tires were ordered and at the garage he just hadn’t went and got them installed yet. SMH, I am amazed at the level of stupid from someone that is 50yrs old.

The senior tech isn't tooooooo stupid, he sat in the cool van while you changed the tire

10. Likes Lahrs, BALloyd, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I wouldn’t call this guy a senior tech. Better to say he has been doing hvac hackery for a couple years. I will post some examples later.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
    I wouldn’t call this guy a senior tech. Better to say he has been doing hvac hackery for a couple years. I will post some examples later.

Ok, he is the new buzzword " associate " instead of senior tech but he still conned you into changing the tire while he sat in the truck running the AC. That's funny to me. It brings back memories to my 1st AC helper job back in 1965 , it was explained new ac helpers had 2 major jobs, keep the truck cleaned up and my mouth shut . Most of the service techs were all WWII & Korea Vets who didn't want input from a green kid

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    Ok, he is the new buzzword " associate " instead of senior tech but he still conned you into changing the tire while he sat in the truck running the AC. That's funny to me. It brings back memories to my 1st AC helper job back in 1965 , it was explained new ac helpers had 2 major jobs, keep the truck cleaned up and my mouth shut . Most of the service techs were all WWII & Korea Vets who didn't want input from a green kid
    I am 57yrs old, so kid doesn’t exactly fit. The guy is lazy, dangerous, and doesn’t know anymore than I do just out of HVAC school. He has just been doing PM’s and light maintenance for a couple of years.

14. Likes Kelly's Service liked this post.
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Ummmm...
    Who took the screw out 20 miles away from the service station?
    Maybe the old guy was pissy about that

16. Likes Core_d liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So here's a what happened this week with the actual senior tech at the company. First of all he doesn't like working with anyone and we went all morning without saying a word to each other. He never told me where we were going, what kind of equipment we would be working on, what was wrong the equipment, nothing.

We went to a couple of jobs, and I did what a new guy does, carry the ladder, tools, whatever. I just keep my eyes open and mouth shut. BTW, this guy is 24yrs my junior but he is the lead tech. Did I mention he is very arrogant as well? So I just went with the flow.

Later that day we went to a chiller that had a LLS that needed to be replaced. I can't remember the size of the liquid line, I will post a picture of it. Anyway, he isolated the solenoid but did not recover the refrigerant from that section; a Schrader was in that section so he could have recovered it. He then proceeded to remove the four bolt slowly and tapping on the housing of the LLS. I stepped back, put on my safety glasses and waited. He had no glasses on and when that gasket let loose, BAM! He got a face full of R-410 and oil. He was covered from head to toe in the stuff. I said nothing and ran to the van to get some rags. He didn't say anything either. In fact, he never said anything about it the whole rest of the day. He also didn't bother to go get checked out and his eyes flushed.

The next day, I worked with him again. Same thing, no communication, no questions about could I do something, was I taught something, or him showing me how things are done in the field, nothing. I did help him replace the seals in a chiller pump but only because it was so heavy he needed me to assist.

Teachable moments missed because of someone's arrogance is not the environment I thought I was getting into. That is OK though, I have a job interview Monday. We will see.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

18. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    OK, another story about the non-tire changing tech. We get called out for a not cooling unit at Sorority house on campus that has 9 or 10 split systems all through out this large "house." We get there and check out the T-stat, and then the indoor unit. Blower was running so we went outside to the outdoor units. Let me rephrase that, I followed him outside because he has been at this location many times.

He points out a unit that isn't running and tells me to check for Y call from the stat wire. I tell him that I am getting nothing. We chase our tails for two hours trying to find out why? Float switch was good; company lets tech break red or yellow on those things, whichever they prefer. Anyway, we wasted two hours chasing ghosts until he realizes that we are checking the wrong outdoor unit! He tells me, I think this outdoor unit for this air handler is on the other side of the building.

Well you guessed it, we found the correct unit. Cap was swollen like a pregnant soda can, so we changed it out and everything started working fine. I had to shake my head in wonderment. But no one wants to hear the "new" guy say a word because he is the new guy. WTH?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast