Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icesailor View Post
    Bet that that tech knows everything in that van. Someone cleans it out for him and he's useless for a month. Especially if someone rearranges his tools. <SNORT>
    THIS... is how I judge the usefulness of a helper...
    Do they put the tools back where they go!!!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

2. Likes shavedneon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sadly Im a terminal slob. I must confess that I am the Oscar Madison with my service truck.
    I dont like myself for it and Im ashamed.
    I really try to keep it clean and organized but it seems like every time I start to clean it,
    I get a 911 service call. Seriously. No ghost story.
    What am I supposed to do?
    Tell the mortuary that their cold storage room will have to wait while I clean and tidy up my truck?

Post Likes
    No, you clean your truck on their dime. After you responded to their emergency call.

As far as I am concerned, you manned up and said you're a slob. Try getting that out of a 'yout' these days, LOL.

Doing service these days, my truck stays pretty much in order. By design; I've developed habits over a few decades. Put things where they belong each time you go to the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by navyguy1 View Post
    Sadly I’m a terminal slob. I must confess that I am the Oscar Madison with my service truck.
    I don’t like myself for it and I’m ashamed.
    I really try to keep it clean and organized but it seems like every time I start to clean it,
    Tell the mortuary that their cold storage room will have to wait while I clean and tidy up my truck?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Over the last 3 decades, I had improved my organizational skills somewhat. Never as good as most but I was getting there. Now as Im approaching the last few years in this trade Im now showing the start of short term memory loss and extreme forgetfulness. My dad retired from this trade as dementia began setting in. He was a great HVAC mechanic at the time and loved to talk shop with me. Now he doesnt know the difference between freon and a flat tire.
    A bit depressing.

Post Likes
    I could always tell when my old Late boss needed to order stock and money was tight. He's spend a weekend in the shop. re-arranging the stock in the trucks. From guys not putting stock away after a job. The Boss needed to send in an order for stock. Once he put all of the stock away, he usually didn't have to send in an order. The stock was all in the trucks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
    So so far my first HVAC job isnt going that great. The other day I was assigned to work with the tech that works out of this van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I work with that guy.

LOL. There is a tv in there.
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    No, you clean your truck on their dime. After you responded to their emergency call.

As far as I am concerned, you manned up and said you're a slob. Try getting that out of a 'yout' these days, LOL.

Doing service these days, my truck stays pretty much in order. By design; I've developed habits over a few decades. Put things where they belong each time you go to the truck.
    Ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner.

Post Likes
    Years ago, I had an apprentice that used to bring a Microwave Oven to work with him. So he could always have a hot lunch and coffee/tea.

Post Likes
    I had a friend I grew up with (sadly long dead now) working for me one time and he was insane about Truck Neat -Ness. After a while when he would go missing on a job I knew exactly where to go to retrieve him - in the truck because he would have seen something out of place or have thought of some better way to organize things. My trucks always had A Lot of stuff because we did so many different things - but the problem I had was that he would group things according to what they were rather than to what they did. After a short while He knew where Everything was and I had no idea where Anything was. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by navyguy1 View Post
    Sadly I’m a terminal slob. I must confess that I am the Oscar Madison with my service truck.
    I don’t like myself for it and I’m ashamed.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Did I already ask you if you have an ice boat? I have always wanted to sail one - but so far I have never had the opportunity.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by icesailor View Post
    Years ago, I had an apprentice that used to bring a Microwave Oven to work with him. So he could always have a hot lunch and coffee/tea.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    With the exception of a late night emergency job, my truck is always neat and organized. The customer pays my time to get my gear, fix their stuff, and put my gear back where it came from. At the end of each day, parts get restocked, and trash gets emptied. Every Sunday, it gets a car wash and the inside gets either vacuumed or wiped down.

Every Spring, I give it a major “going through”. Rearranging as needed, stocking for Summer, and a detailed cleaning on the inside.

I believe the condition of my service van is a direct reflection of my refrigeration workmanship. Oh yeah, there is also the fact that with a clean, organized truck, I can get more jobs done in a day and make more money.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

13. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    😂

Post Likes
    "A Clean Job is a Happy Job. Same as with a service truck.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast