+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Outside the Box"

Post Likes

"Outside the Box"

This is My old shop, and staging area in 1980, with about 1/2 of My first Major Mobile Hvac Design for Uncle Sam. Looking at York, 2 of 4, 5 Ton, Pathfinder, Cool only, Hvac Units/460 volt 3 phase, mounted on T-6061 Aluminum Skids, also Designed by me. Ducting is Insulated Flexaust/ vinyl over closed cell foam and milar. Adapters and Transitions, T-5051 Aluminum. PS: Depending on interest, i will post more photos of final installs somewhere around the world, and complete story. PSS: No games or Horn blowing HERE, Just Sharing.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Likes captube, thatguy, big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Cool. Heck yes I’d like to see more pics and the rest of the story.

4. Likes Metalman0880, lzenglish, big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobie View Post
    Cool. Heck yes I’d like to see more pics and the rest of the story.
    Thanks bro, and by the way, no offence on the past up yours, on the usda condensate thread., LMAO This site has gotten into a school boy click, so if no moe interest, i will email you the entire story with all my never been seen before now photos. Take Care, and All the Best to You! PS: This first classified "then", photo has never been seen before NOW either, as i took it myself, had it developed, and gave no copies to anyone.

6. Likes big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Why would you private message it? Let us all see ! We want to see too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

8. Likes lzenglish, big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’d like to see more also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes lzenglish, big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    10/4 Guys, will Scan and Post more Photos and Specifics Soon.

12. Likes big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ok, here we go...In 1980, i was working as a civilian Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic, wg-10, at a Large Army Depot on the West Coast. I was approached one day by the chief of a design unit who said he was in need of an a/c guy who could design hvac, for his electronic commo design group. He asked if i was interested, and i said yes. Long Story Short, i took the test, and pass the test, including the FBI background investigation, and became a Mechanical Design Engineering Technician, G-S 9/11. My first task was to look into a saltwater corrosion problem with a vintage WW-2,.... 50 Thousand watt USAR Radio Transmitter....break..., and part 2 later.. PS: The photo i share is the end result, cuz that's the way i want it. Lol, take care all, and stay tuned for all the design dirt i ran into on this beeotch ! PSS: Quick teaser for ya, thats 20 tons of hvac, on 1600 sq. ft. of space.

14. Likes big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    Thanks bro, and by the way, no offence on the past up yours, on the usda condensate thread., LMAO This site has gotten into a school boy click, so if no moe interest, i will email you the entire story with all my never been seen before now photos. Take Care, and All the Best to You! PS: This first classified "then", photo has never been seen before NOW either, as i took it myself, had it developed, and gave no copies to anyone.
    No worries bro! I had forgotten all about that. Got a good chuckle re-reading.

16. Likes lzenglish, big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Another Install Site. This time in the Extreme South Eastern USA..

18. Likes big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ok, lets get to it! You have been tasked to reduce, and or eliminate high humidity salt air corrosion on a very old 50kw radio transmitter. Now the caveots are many, to include, whatever you do, transmitter must me able to return to original configuration at a moments notice. In other words, norm is 100% OA in and out, if you add a/c and ducting, no modifications shall be made to the inhibit original 100% OA design. You have 2 sets of 2 shelters, which have internal 3600 cfm pass thru blowers installed. These must remain in place. Ok, we know the heat load must be around 50kw, which is 20 tons btu correct?.Is that the max load? I asked this question to the station manager, and he said, yes. Now all of us know, that the proof is in the pudding so i showed up at 10pm to the site to find out what the pudding actually was during a transmission.. I was armed with temp., humd, and air flow instraments, to measure the actual heat load. I found that as usual, someone was full of cow puddie, as my readings varied from 80 to 100% of the 50kw. Next Part Soon. PS: Can we get someone to clean up my spelling on isle 1, as i'm all tuckered out Now!PSS: Forgot to say that most all of these transmitters are located near water (ocean) for additional range (Skip)....

20. Likes Metalman0880, thatguy, big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Part 3...After a week at the site and armed with my testing results, extensive conversations with the station manager and operators, i had a rough idea/plan of action, and flew home. My concerns were many, but at the top of the list, was short cycling, and over stressed a/c compressors.I did NOT give enough thought to condensation, but was forced to later.! Armed with my test results, photos, notes, and rough sketches, i met with my section chief and discussed my plan with him. I was given full non sole source power because of the priory, and i used it. I chose the york pathfinder 5 ton for a few reasons, the main one was, because of future availability. I purchased one and had it delivered to my shop so the trades (all In House only) could get started on their layout proto types. I told them what i had in mind, and they told me what i really wanted LOL. They mocked it up, myself and others put it on paper, and sent it to limited production. The tin knockers needed to know what the duct size was, so i spent a long time on the phone trying to locate insulated duct that would stand up in this harsh environment. All of the companies were good enough to ship samples which was good. I chose the largest size i could fit for the main trunks, but after all these years i will be damn if i can remember now, 14 or 16 inch. PS: Keep in mind all of this happened before laptop computers, internet, cell phones, and even if they were available, this was all uncharted waters, which is one of my points to this story, "I Guess" LOL . Git-er-done, down and dirty, seat of the pants, design, with field R&D, for lack of better terms, "That Worked" (next part soon)..

22. Likes big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    To sum this thing up, these transmitters were being eaten up internally with salt air corrosion, and parts were getting scarce, to non-existent. Original cooling was 100% filtered O.A. Plan was to close loop with 100% conditioned air. Total heat load was 19.3 tons on high power. 2ea. Existing O.A. fans could not be removed, but could be, and were shut down. Instead of 2ea. 10 ton units or other configuration, i chose 4ea. 5 ton units for cycling control. The 5 ton units became sacrificial lambs to corrosion themselves, so after a 3 month run, they as well as all furter units were treated with neoprene coating, and closed cell rubatex foam rubber. First test of system showed hunting and short cycling upon low power start up. Problem was fixed thru relocation thermostats, (one per each 5 ton and located in each shelter). The combination of stat adjustments and 2 unit stats set to fan/on, smoothed out short cycling. After 6 months on line, with conditioned air, operators and station manager were satisfied with corrosion control modification results, and secondary benefit of Cool Air. Green light was given to do remainder of transmitters. The End, and Thanks for Looking...

24. Likes Metalman0880, big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Nice looking design.

26. Likes lzenglish, big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Man, I would have been all over that. I would be proud of that as well, thanks for sharing!
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

28. Likes lzenglish, big-bubba liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for all the Comments and Likes Guys. This was just one part of my 45 year voyage in our trade, that i still love so much.! Take Care!

30. Likes big-bubba, thatguy liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in