Post Likes

High hunidity in utility closet

Question for the pro's.

My son just bought a house in Virginia. Heat pump with the air handler and electric water heater in a utility closet about 5ft x 10ft with a louvered door. Condensate drains into a floor drain. Water is condensing on the outside of the supply ducts and some mold is present. I measured about 68% humidity in there. I assume the humidity is because of the floor drain but not sure how to mitigate this problem. No return or supply registers in the closet.

Can the drain be covered? What about a small dehumidifier? Maybe a condensate pump to outside. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Is there a P-Trap on the floor drain? Should be by code!
    If you seal up the floor drain what are you going to do about the condensate?

What's the humidity in the rest of the house?

A dehumidifier will help but find out where the warm moist air is coming from!

Post Likes
    68%RH is useless info without the temperature. Temp/%RH will give us real info about the moisture source in the space. Could be that the cool supply ducts when the a/c is operating lowers the temperature and raises the %RH. Could be normal?? Give us temp/%RH from the space, from the open part of the home mid day and early morning. Also from the a/c supply during heat of the day.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Teddy,

Can't provide the details requested until the next time I visit them. I can tell you that in that space the temp was 73-74 and 68%. Rest of the house was 73-74 and about 53%. Thermostat was set for 73. OAT was 96. The basement was 73-74 and about 60%. House came with a portable dehumidifier but was non-functional. He has ordered a replacement.

That space does have access to the joist space above. Maybe warm air is infiltrating from outside thru there. I'm now thinking this could be the problem.

pecmsg,

As far as a cover for the floor drain I was thinking a loose cover while still allowing the condensate to drain there. Maybe a plastic lid with a hole just to fit the pvc.