Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I assume a crane will be part of the job, no?

That would be the safest way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Last week we did a trial run at the shop with the hoist. With an 18" extension on the arm, we loaded it with 800 and then 1000 lbs, one of our bigger techs volunteered for the counterweight on the end.
    Everything was stable, the ram had no problem lifting the load. My concern was the section of the arm where the extension is added, this would be the weakest point. The extension was 1/4" wall square tubing, and grade 8 bolts were used. The engineer inside of my didn't agree with the numbers, but I couldn't argue with the results.

I should note I didn't actually replace the compressor, but rather pulled both compressors out and reversed them. So, 4 lifts total.
    Circuit # 1 compressor has been sitting idle for a couple of years now, the evaporator coil was completely corroded and beyond repair. The unit is from 1989, but that compressor was replaced in 2008.
    Circuit # 2 is the compressor that failed two weeks ago. Since this unit is being replaced next year, the customer decided to swap the compressors instead of replace to save money.
    The #1 compressor megged okay and I turned it over by hand, nevertheless, I gave them fair warning that it could be seized from sitting there so long or have a shortened life.
    It's been running for a week now, and after two oil and filter core changes, everything looks healthy.

Some notes about the actually lifting...

• 4 Techs on deck. 1 as the counterweight, 2 to move the hoist, and 1 for positioning / setup.
    • Clearly communicate the lifting plan.
    • Lift straight in and out.
    • GO SLOW! This was not a race!
    • Position the castors on the hoist in the proper direction before moving the load.
    • Stay clear of the load at all times and predict what will happen if a chain or component fails.
    • We used two 8x4" sheets of plywood and heavy duty carts to place the compressors on.
    • 4x4" blocks were placed against the sleepers to keep the hoist from pulling forward.
    It was about 90 minutes to do the actual swap.
    Name:  IMG_3499[1].jpg
Views: 47
Size:  105.4 KBName:  IMG_3512[1].jpg
Views: 46
Size:  93.1 KBName:  IMG_3500[1].jpg
Views: 46
Size:  154.9 KBName:  IMG_3503[1].jpg
Views: 47
Size:  67.2 KBName:  IMG_3505[1].jpg
Views: 45
Size:  115.8 KB
    Last edited by FrostGiant; 09-21-2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Photos