+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low suction high liquid pressure

Post Likes

Low suction high liquid pressure

So I’m a tech coming in after someone’s install. I was called out to look at a Lennox unit short cycling. It’s becoming the largest headache I’ve had to deal with in awhile at this point I have reclaimed and vacuumed down the whole system and added refrigerant but when the compressor kicks on the suction side drops quick and the liquid shoots up to well over 300 and then shuts off. I don’t want to overcharge the system. But I can’t figure out what the heck is the problem. I’m a bit newer only 7 years in and my master bailed before I got a full helpful training on ac. So if this is a stupid question I understand but I’ve never encountered this before. I need help.

Post Likes
    Dont take this the wrong way, but Bro...
    7 years? You got a restriction. How long have you been a tech?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Instead of giving you the answer, think about what is happening in the refrigeration cycle and what is supposed to happen. Start with what are the causes of low suction pressure.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I know, I know I only just started really doing service by myself for the last 2 years. Thank you, thank you.

Portland, OR(Previous: Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma)
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadbod View Post
    I know, I know I only just started really doing service by myself for the last 2 years. Thank you, thank you.
    Are the service valves open? Lol

Fixed orifice or TXV?

Which way is your filter drier arrow pointing?

I'd start with the basics

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Sounds like a restriction.
    Look at the TXV or piston which ever you have.
    Make sure service valve are open.
    Just slow down., think it out, and go through the refrigerant cycle checking every component that could restrict the flow.

Post Likes
    Nvm. Didn’t read post properly. Sounds like a restriction like these guys said.

At what pressure does it shut off? What is well over 300?

Post Likes
    Installers can be thoughtless at times. If you've tried to find it by temperature, put a piercing valve on the liquid line, if it's still 300psi check down stream what the installers have done. If it's low check what they did on the condenser side, then pump it down and fix the little hole.
    Installers rule of thumb, little solder good lots better. Little heat good lots better.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    300 / R410a ?

Post Likes
    You came along after someones install? So, I'm guessing r410a? What was room temp and ambient? What does "well over 300 psi" mean?

11. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    410a i am assuming you have a TXV.

check for a temp drop across the liquid line filter/dryer also a temp drop from where the liquid line leave the condensing unit to where it enters the evap.
    check for a clogged screen at the txv if there is one there. also could just be a bad txv. like they said. just think about it without freaking out it will come to you.

Post Likes
    300 psig for liquid line R 410A that's Not bad .. and how low is your suction line pressure ?? need Number .. you need to measure superheat and subcooling to make sure that there is a liquid line restriction .. if there is a liquid line restriction Evaporator coil will be starving for refrigerant and you're going to get high superheat on the other side refrigerant will be spending longer time in the condenser coil and releasing more heat and that leads to high subcooling too

Post Likes
    If you weighed in the charge and it's short cycling, most likely it's a restriction. Could be the drier, could be the TXV or piston or whatever you have.

Sounds like a restriction though.

Post Likes
    I had an installer swedge a 3/4 suction so it would fit over a MH evaporator suction fitting and didn't cut out the factory copper plug. Got the dreaded call after quitting time so I go and it took me about 30 minutes to finally figure out where the restriction was. Tested usual suspects & even removed all the insultube looking for kink, luckily only about 12 ft.
    This was the iceing on the cake, sent him packing the next morning.

16. Likes Achso017 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    One I found this summer. First time it didn't run perfect for 8 years. Solder broke loose between dryer and coil.
    restriction by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in