+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PSC or X13 replacement?

Post Likes

PSC or X13 replacement?

I have done this many times but never for a church. I have a church with a bad X13 out of warranty. I can use a PCS and relay and save them $$$. I can also use an evergreen X13 replacement which will cost them more. The drutter I face is the responsibility of modifying the OEM wiring and design. What are the opinions? The system is a heat pump and I can use two relays; one for cooling and one for heating. Right now I am inclined to use the Evergreen and sleep better.
    Doug

Post Likes
    1st
    Get a supply house to give or discount the X13

if not

I don't have an issue rewiring the cabinet for a PCS

Post Likes

PSC or X13 replacement?

Is the motor or module bad?

Usually the transistor goes bad in the module. You can buy a new one for $20 and solder it in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The X13 gets 240v all the time and 24v to the tap of the desired speed when the blower is needed. You could do some creative wiring to get it to work. Does MARS or anyone else have a more affordable X13 clone?

Post Likes
    Why not just give the church all your concerns & let them make an informed decision. I always tell my customers that the wiring has to be modified a little & a relay has to be added to do the job cheaper. Then there's also the fact that the PSC motor is not as energy efficient but I doubt it would be noticeable. I have yet to have a customer wanting to go back with an ECM that is not under warranty.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    Well I had to get them running. I put a PSC in and used two relays; one for heat and one for cooling. I was very diligent in the wiring and dressed all the leads accordingly. The pastor had a hissy fit when I told him a replacement ECM price. Also, the PSC will probably outlast a X13 many times. X13's only save $$$ when the duct systems are done correctly which is rare in this world. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Doug

Post Likes
    From what I understand, excessive static pressure kills the ECM's. So if your ducting is undersized, you did them a service by putting in a PSC.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I had a situation recently where the ECM motor (Broad Ocean I think?) repeatedly failed to high speed only. Under warranty - but so what? The original post-failure idea was to just leave it failed and tolerate the added air flow and noise. But then it started randomly opening the 3A control fuse.

ECM was 1/3HP so I installed a 1/3HP PSC. This was a mistake as the "speed taps" are actually HP taps. So if there is no duct static / resistance to flow - low speed is just about the same as high speed in terms of air flow. I should have selected the PSC based on actual amp draw - rather than on match amp draw. So long as there is available HP to drive the blower wheel - the motor just runs at the highest speed. <g>

But a small SCR speed controller 'fixed' the excess air problem. I couldn't find the minimum required RPM for the PSC motor so when / if it fails I'll install a ball bearing motor. I think the SCR was about $8.00

Oh; the internal wiring of the air handler now looks Nothing like the wiring diagram. But so what? What are there? Wiring police? What is the "responsibility" that concerns you? Do the wiring properly and it's no different than the original wiring. In fact; it's probably better. <g>

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I have done this many times but never for a church. I have a church with a bad X13 out of warranty. I can use a PCS and relay and save them $$$. I can also use an evergreen X13 replacement which will cost them more. The drutter I face is the responsibility of modifying the OEM wiring and design. What are the opinions? The system is a heat pump and I can use two relays; one for cooling and one for heating. Right now I am inclined to use the Evergreen and sleep better.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I'm definitely no fan of any ECM motor. Biggest lie since the refrigerant scam.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I think the whole efficiency / saving the environment / reducing operating costs thing is horsepoop. It is just another knee-jerk reaction by America's useless political class. Nothing about it, or especially about it's implementation, serves the consumer or the environment well. Unless the operating costs are reduced by applying basic thermodynamic principles - it's just political noise arranged for in order to buy votes from citizens and garner large campaign contributions from corporate interests.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I'm definitely no fan of any ECM motor. Biggest lie since the refrigerant scam.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    What are the opinions? .

Ok, here is mine from MY past experience. DON'T MODIFY, but "REPLACE with OEM or Equal". If you feel bad about it, then you buy the motor and donate it back to the church collection plate, and just charge labor. I can tell you stories of the same, along with single pregnant mothers with kids, that only backfires, and you end up paying with a "lifetime warranty" of Mo-$$, and regret. "Hope not to Strong". PS: Be Compassinent, but dont assume that the Church is broke either.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in