Post Likes

Confused condenser on the balcony

hi,
    someone already installed condensers, heat pump, on the balcony of buildings. i'm concerned by the condensation water in winter (canada). When the building is high-rise (12 floors for this project), I fear that will create ice, stalagmites, along the facade through each balcony to the ground floor. i feel concern about that
    I need your comments, please.

Post Likes
    Legitimate concern.

Post Likes
    Ice features,charge extra.

Post Likes

Confused condenser on the balcony

the owner of the building wants to save money by taking advantage the compressor heat pump mode in winter. i always installed the condenser unit in mode cooling only exactly to avoid ice on the balconies but in this case i need someone need someone who has already lived this experience and can tell me if it is a viable solution
    thanks,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo13 View Post
    the owner of the building wants to save money by taking advantage the compressor heat pump mode in winter. i always installed the condenser unit in mode cooling only exactly to avoid ice on the balconies but in this case i need someone need someone who has already lived this experience and can tell me if it is a viable solution
    thanks,
    I don't understand?

YES a heat pump is going to frost / freeze over and need defrost and YES this will create ice. Control the ice or deal with the hazard(s). Shut the heat pump off when extended periods of below freezing temps and use the back up heat.

Post Likes
    I am surprised this was even considered in a high rise building. Most of the ones around me won't allow installs like that due to possible building envelope issues from penetrations from the lineset not being sealed correctly.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I think exactly the same thing but the mechanical engineer of the project is not worried about this

Post Likes
    Then I hope he has a good insurance policy

Post Likes
    Put some drain pans in with heaters!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo13 View Post
    thanks,
    Will there be some kind of back up heat with a controller that automatically switches between the heat pump and the back up heat based on outdoor temperature? If so, then everything might be OK.

Most heat pumps aren't designed to run when it's below freezing outside anyways, unless it's a really expensive kind such as a Carrier Greenspeed.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.