+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pipe Dope Vs No Dope - Gas Valve Pressure Ports

Post Likes

Pipe Dope Vs No Dope - Gas Valve Pressure Ports

You know that little hex screw for manifold pressure. I always got mixed answers for this, do you apply pipe dope to that screw ? What about when changing orfices? I usaully do it on the test ports but not on orfices. Just annoying cause anytime I want to perform manometer test gotta go get the dope from the truck.

Post Likes
    most vavles i have seen the pressure port has a screw with a rubber gasket on it so if you tighten it down properly it should not leak any ways it does then use the pipe dope spareingly

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HvacPhil View Post
    You know that little hex screw for manifold pressure. I always got mixed answers for this, do you apply pipe dope to that screw ? What about when changing orfices? I usaully do it on the test ports but not on orfices. Just annoying cause anytime I want to perform manometer test gotta go get the dope from the truck.
    I virtually never use dope on them. Dope is just to over come friction. On a small plug like that, none is needed.

Post Likes
    I don't think I've ever applied dope to one.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I use a smidgen of leak lock or the yellow reactor seal if it's completely dry but usually there's enough of the assembly grease left that I just put it back together.

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I try to be really careful with pipe dope because I have noticed that most of my gas valve failures on newer furnaces have been ones that the installer used lots of pipe dope on.
    And some of my most irritating persistent callbacks have been due to tiny particles of what looks like pipe dope jammed in the pilot feed hole on Ancient furnaces.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    I would keep a tube of pipe dope in the bag with a manometer if you decide to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HvacPhil View Post

Post Likes
    My pet peeve was always teflon tape. That is almost a guaranteed combination valve killer, the bit of tape in the gas side of the system...

Post Likes
    I always get a chuckle when I hear that.

Maybe there's a difference between dope and sealant. Does your can actually say dope? Mine says sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I virtually never use dope on them. Dope is just to over come friction. On a small plug like that, none is needed.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Before I got into this trade, I was doing construction. This is back when galvy piping was the norm. There was this one house where every other pipe joint leaked. Come to find out the guy was spitting his tobaccy on the threads instead of using a thread sealant.

LOL.

I've gone round and round with plumbers. I keep telling them that if your thread sealant is only to lubricate the threads, then stop using it, and use oil. Oil will lubricate the threads better than a thread sealant.

For some reason, they keep using their thread sealant, and never want to use oil. Which would lubricate the threads better. Go figure.

Post Likes
    Way back in the 70s. It was all pipe dope around here. Didn't hear of thread sealant being used on pipes until the mid to late 80s.

Post Likes
    Any tech I have worked with has always called it pipe dope, and so do I. Just sayin' my can says sealant.

Name:  20190910_172411[1].jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  54.2 KB

Post Likes
    Lots of guys around here I see using Teflon tape and compound.

Post Likes
    I use leak lock thread sealant. It dont come un done when i am done.

Post Likes
    We've had posts on this subject for as long as I've been on site. This is not an opinion. I know this is repetitious for many but this is what is taught in apprentice classes. Or at least was taught because who knows what some might say in classes.
    Pipe threads are different in that they are tapered. They don't need a sealant they need a lubricant. Years ago pipe dope was mixed by plumbers. White lead and linseed oil. White lead is no more. Almost any thing oily will allow the threads to seal.
    If a connection leaks there is a bad thread. A fitting should be able to complete three turns before getting tight. That's the test for the thread depth. If it can't there is a bad thread probably from maladjustment on the thread die ( and yes most can be adjusted)
    A pipe thread is almost self sealing as long as the threads are good. I knew a fitter that used STP, the oil treatment. Not good because the fittings tightened too far stressing the fittings. I'm referring to valve bodies.
    A sealant is used on straight threads. Many sealants say they can be used on tapered pipe threads also.
    Teflon is a lubricant and works OK. Using a joint compound with Teflon is redundant. Like said, if there is a leak it should be corrected and not the dope's fault.
    When using dope, only the first three threads should be doped otherwise the job looks sloppy. I knew a contractor that would send plumbers back to clean up their joints.
    That's all I know. Oh ya, why wouldn't a manifold tap be doped? There is a chance it could leak so dope it.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

17. Likes beenthere liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For a small plug such as this I use the white Teflon paste. Just wipe the top of the container with my finger and then apply around the pipe threads. The brush does too much IMO.

Post Likes
    I dab a little drop of Nylog on the threads. Don't know if it actually needs it, but it makes me feel better.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in