+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Johnson Bacnet IP Controllers

Post Likes

Johnson Bacnet IP Controllers

Folks,

Starting our first Facility Explorer Bacnet IP Controller project and currently in process of laying out our Buss segments.

We are reading and learning as much as we can about the communications side of this and have recently watched the Johnson Webinar on the IP product line.

More than once during this presentation they mentioned that when adding IP controllers that the Industrial ( Cisco Product ) switch would auto provide an IP address to this controller via DHCP.

We would think we would assign our own IP numbering scheme ?

Has anyone commissioned a new Johnson ( Metasys or Fac Explorer ) IP network utilizing these recommended Industrial Switches and can the network be set to static IP ?

Thanks for any consideration

Post Likes
    The IP controllers do not currently support static IP address configuration. Therefore these devices must be dynamically assigned IP addresses by the IT DHCP server. If you haven't seen it yet, look at Facility Explorer IP Networks for BACnet/IP Controllers Configuration Guide Technical Bulletin (LIT-12012980) ......
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes

Thanks Balibe ......

Quote Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
    The IP controllers do not currently support static IP address configuration. Therefore these devices must be dynamically assigned IP addresses by the IT DHCP server. If you haven't seen it yet, look at Facility Explorer IP Networks for BACnet/IP Controllers Configuration Guide Technical Bulletin (LIT-12012980) ......
    So if we wanted to create a separate BAS network we would need our own server then Or is that Technically the Cisco Switch JCI Is recommending ?

Post Likes
    Typically routers or servers handle DHCP services. I totally missed that johnson IP controllers didn't support static assignments, that's interesting. Kind of a little risky IMO as that server availability and static configuration becomes a critical part of the system as BACnet bindings don't seem to be really tolerant of changing IP addresses in controllers I've seen.

Post Likes
    How are they dealing with BBMDs under DHCP? Can't say I have seen a BBMD that supports names over IPs.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Every DHCP situation I've encountered in BMS is a static reservation. It is DHCP but it's only ever going to get the same IP address every time. I think some network managers require this because they don't do other records, whatever the live DHCP config says is what's on the network period.

Post Likes
    What model controller are you using for? We have been able to assign controllers static ip address. By default they use dhcp but one you get in the 1st time you can change it.

Haven't used the ring topology yet so can't help on that. I was under the understand it was supported just yet but could be wrong.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
    look at Facility Explorer IP Networks for BACnet/IP Controllers Configuration Guide Technical Bulletin (LIT-12012980)
    BBMDs must be static.

I have seen this and looking at it a second time, it still seems like overkill on most sites. Wonder what the logic is of sticking groups of controllers on different vlans if BACnet is routable between them all.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Every DHCP situation I've encountered in BMS is a static reservation. It is DHCP but it's only ever going to get the same IP address every time. I think some network managers require this because they don't do other records, whatever the live DHCP config says is what's on the network period.
    I get the static reservations...but the assumption with IT will be they CAN change everything if need be. With BBMDs not supporting names, that would be an instant train wreck. Seems like it would be better to tell IT its not possible, than fake it till it breaks.

Post Likes
    I have set a static IP on a site with only 1 controller in the building. No problem. No Cisco router.

Yes their presentation is geared to building whole systems where the Controls contractor is responsible for the controls IP network. Then the CISCO router takes care of the Controls network and there is only 1 port required from the IT network.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    I get the static reservations...but the assumption with IT will be they CAN change everything if need be. With BBMDs not supporting names, that would be an instant train wreck. Seems like it would be better to tell IT its not possible, than fake it till it breaks.
    Yup, all I can come up with is it's for documentation reasons. Also knowing the MAC is necessary for some forms of security so that might tie into it.

Everywhere I've done that I just set static anyway because DHCP adds risk. Make them come to me when they can't change the IP via DHCP and I'll fill them in on BBMD config.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billcontrols View Post
    Yes their presentation is geared to building whole systems where the Controls contractor is responsible for the controls IP network.
    They show the same basic setup in all cases from riding ITs (integrated/converged) network to your own.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in