Post Likes

floral cooler help

Good morning. I have a couple of problems inside my flower cooler. It is a 8 x 16 walk in. I bought used and it has panels with 2 sets of glass doors and 1 large walk in door. I have problem with condensation on the inside of the cooler and mold growing inside the cooler. The temp right now is 40.6 and now the humidity level says it is at 79. I have adjusted the temp to bring it down to the 36 range.
    One panel of glass doors is against the wall and this is where the condensation builds up. Any recommendations on how to get humidity up and temp correct so that I can keep mold growth down?

Thanks in advance.
    Angie

Post Likes
    Which of your precious products likes a 36*f box temp?

Post Likes
    According to all the floral industry experts, flower coolers should be maintained at 34 - 36 degrees and they need a high humidity level. And all my products are precious except for tropicals and orchids they need 45 to 50 degrees. Most flowers will not freeze until 29 degrees.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Which of your precious products likes a 36*f box temp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie Tacker View Post
    According to all the floral industry experts, flower coolers should be maintained at 34 - 36 degrees and they need a high humidity level. And all my products are precious except for tropicals and orchids they need 45 to 50 degrees. Most flowers will not freeze until 29 degrees.
    I agree with the lower temperature for floral boxes. I had a number of my customer require 36°F or lower saying this is what was being recommended by their flower distributors. I heard the same from produce customers as well, particularly for lettuce and other leafy vegetables. Our old standards of 45°F-50°F for flowers and produce are quite outdated.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...%2FCooling.pdf

I'm a bit puzzled about the condensation "inside" the cooler. Normally, condensation will occur outside on cold surfaces like on the door frames or at panel joints where there may be heat conducting structure.

It can happen inside if there's an infiltration of warm, moist air coming in through cracks and bad door seals. The moisture in the air then condenses on the nearest cold surface, meaning the temperature of the surface is lower that the dewpoint of the infiltrating air. Since the problem you're having is at the area where the glass doors are, I suspect these doors or their frame is leaking outside air. Finding a fixing such infiltration will stop the condensation.

If these doors are up against a wall, accessing them to repair is going to be difficult to impossible. Guaranteed there's a lot of condensation going on on these doors on the outside and this is probably where your water is coming from. The best way would be to remove them and rebuild that section of wall with proper insulation and moisture barrier. Your cooler is gaining heat through these doors at a rate of around 1000 Btu/hr needlessly, so removing them would be a big plus to the cooler efficiency and const of operation, let alone reducing or eliminating the mold issue.

Post Likes
    Condensation happens where cold meets hot. So it's just a matter of finding out where that is, if it's right by a door, I would think that there is an air leak hitting the cold surface, hot goes to cold.

Just a matter of finding out where it's coming from, that should be it.

Humidity is controlled by run time, so you can run the unit for short periods of time A.K.A being oversized so it won't remove too much moisture as it won't be running for very long or bring up the coil temp so it's above dew point so it can't remove moisture.

Post Likes
    Or proper equipment selection for a 7-8 degree td for flowers.

7. Likes UmmScott liked this post
    Post Likes
    That too, I guess that would be the correct way.

Post Likes
    What icemeister said.
    Simply the act of insulating the doors may get you to a short enough run time to raise the RH sufficiently.

Also. Can you post the condensing unit , and evaporator , model numbers Angie?
    Also you, or the techs (if you're not the tech) pressures and Superheat numbers?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    RSES has a SAM #620-96,(1988) titled "Floral Refrigeration" which is reprinted from "Supermarket Flora" They discuss having a 90-95%RH in the floral WI which uses a 5*TD to achieve that hi RH along w/ a low air velocities evap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie Tacker View Post
    Good morning. I have a couple of problems inside my flower cooler. It is a 8 x 16 walk in. I bought used and it has panels with 2 sets of glass doors and 1 large walk in door. I have problem with condensation on the inside of the cooler and mold growing inside the cooler. The temp right now is 40.6 and now the humidity level says it is at 79. I have adjusted the temp to bring it down to the 36 range.
    One panel of glass doors is against the wall and this is where the condensation builds up. Any recommendations on how to get humidity up and temp correct so that I can keep mold growth down?

Thanks in advance.
    Angie
    Can you post pics of this?

What's the Temperature and RH of the area around the W I?

Did you calk the seams during assembly?

Are all the cam locks working?