+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drains

Post Likes

Drains

My biggest fear of a water leak in the home is the laundry room. During a new build, would it be a good idea to install a drain in the floor of the laundry room? Is this common? Ideas? thanks in advance, D

Post Likes
    Yes it's a good idea. I don't know how common it is or not, but it's still a good idea.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    New build why not. Especially if its not in the basement. Most modern laundry equipment don't use that much water anyway and will have electronic sensors if the water fill is excessively long and shut the water valve in the machine off. No drain not a big deal but then again new construction why not. They make devises to put on your water supply line that will shut your water off if a pipe breaks.Might want to look int that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Air? View Post
    My biggest fear of a water leak in the home is the laundry room. During a new build, would it be a good idea to install a drain in the floor of the laundry room? Is this common? Ideas? thanks in advance, D
    It is a good idea to install a drain in the floor to remove the standing water caused by leaky pipes, washing machine, water heater, furnace, etc. If your laundry room is in the basement, build a floor drain that connects to a sump pit. It will help to throw out the water outside through the pipe.
    Hire professional plumbing services to get the work done efficiently.

Post Likes
    It is a great idea. I installed a drain for the washer discharge and another in the pan the washer sits in. My washer developed a leak after about 15 years. Drain pan caught all the water and drained it with no water damage.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    This is borderline an old post. But it just depends on what you are trying to protect. My opinion, Yes it's a good idea but it is a waste of time and money for a laundry room.

Let me explain. What are really trying to protect against, a water leak that happens when you are not at home or an incidental leak while you are there. What kind of floor are you going to have? Wood, laminate ceramic...? Any leak on a wood or laminate floor will cause damage even with a floor drain. Ceramic with a ceramic baseboard, are you going to use a cement grout to slope the floor to the floor drain, what prevents water from running out into the hall or another room?

Most sheet vinyl will take a pretty good wetting without damage, I mean standing water. But if the water get's to the baseboard around the room it can easily and quickly migrate to another room, into the wall studs and into the sheet rock. Are you going to protect the walls from any spray that may occur? Most clothes washer leaks are from a burst, leaking, spraying hose.

If your concern is a flow of water yes a floor drain will help minimize damage to they house but it will not eliminate it unless you do other things to keep the water confined and make sure it goes down the drain. If you have a floor drain you need to makes sure you prime it every month or you will be getting sewer smells back up through it.

I love floor drains in bathrooms but then you are usually building with other water resistant materials. Commercial code requires floor drains or drain pans

Good Luck

Post Likes
    Hiring the proper professionals to do the plumbing services for your needs is a good idea since plumbings are very sensitive.

Post Likes
    New construction? Suspended floor or slab on grade?

I'd put a floor drain in if I could get the floor to slope toward the drain. In the perverse way of life, I typically see the floor drains in a slab as the high point of the room, sadly. Plumbers set to "grade" and the finishers just do whatever most of the time. Would love to see plans that specified the drains set a certain bit below grade!
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    New construction? Suspended floor or slab on grade?
    This part of what I was getting at:
    Residential Suspended floor, unless the guy putting in the floor uses some sort or groute to slope the floor, the very best you can do is have the drain flush with the floor. Now Flush does not mean the floor is perfectly level. Anything other than a ceramic or poured floor will have the ability to get water under the floor. So the question of what are you protecting needs to be answered. And is the extra cost included in the bid. If it's a clothes washer overflow or water heater leak you are protecting against, put them in a pan and plumb the pan as required by code

New: Slab or basement I find the GC and tell them any floor drain will be 1/4" below the finished floor level as identified in the architect drawing they provided, unless they tell me different. Then I write that on my copy of the drawing for my record

Post Likes
    When I remodeled my master bath, I took apart the floor and dropped and reinforced the subfloor to accommodate a pre sloped foam form. Used 5/8" Schleuyter tile base and set 2x2 tiles. I now have a floor drain! This to accommodate a huge soaking tub slop over and a doorless waterfall shower.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    This is a good idea, but before that you need to ask the professional plumbers

Post Likes
    Old post but still:
    The time saved not walking to a basement is quickly lost in money after a flood.

Install laundry machines in basements when possible with concrete floors and floor drains close by.

Post Likes
    Installing a drain in the floor of your laundry room during new construction is a wise choice to mitigate potential water damage. This proactive measure provides an immediate outlet for any leaks or spills, minimizing the risk of structural damage and slip hazards. Consultation with your builder or plumber ensures proper placement and installation, while opting for compatible floor materials enhances effectiveness. Ultimately, integrating a floor drain enhances convenience and safeguards your home against unforeseen water-related issues.

14. Dislikes kdean1 disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carinebrexleyc View Post
    Installing a drain in the floor of your laundry room during new construction is a wise choice to mitigate potential water damage. This proactive measure provides an immediate outlet for any leaks or spills, minimizing the risk of structural damage and slip hazards. Consultation with your builder or plumber ensures proper placement and installation, while opting for compatible floor materials enhances effectiveness. Ultimately, integrating a floor drain enhances convenience and safeguards your home against unforeseen water-related issues.
    ChatGTP much?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carinebrexleyc View Post
    You came back after FOUR YEARS to make this post!? WHY?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in