Thread: Drains

Post Likes

Drains

My biggest fear of a water leak in the home is the laundry room. During a new build, would it be a good idea to install a drain in the floor of the laundry room? Is this common? Ideas? thanks in advance, D

Post Likes
    Yes it's a good idea. I don't know how common it is or not, but it's still a good idea.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    New build why not. Especially if its not in the basement. Most modern laundry equipment don't use that much water anyway and will have electronic sensors if the water fill is excessively long and shut the water valve in the machine off. No drain not a big deal but then again new construction why not. They make devises to put on your water supply line that will shut your water off if a pipe breaks.Might want to look int that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Air? View Post
    My biggest fear of a water leak in the home is the laundry room. During a new build, would it be a good idea to install a drain in the floor of the laundry room? Is this common? Ideas? thanks in advance, D
    It is a good idea to install a drain in the floor to remove the standing water caused by leaky pipes, washing machine, water heater, furnace, etc. If your laundry room is in the basement, build a floor drain that connects to a sump pit. It will help to throw out the water outside through the pipe.
    Hire professional plumbing services to get the work done efficiently.

Post Likes
    It is a great idea. I installed a drain for the washer discharge and another in the pan the washer sits in. My washer developed a leak after about 15 years. Drain pan caught all the water and drained it with no water damage.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    This is borderline an old post. But it just depends on what you are trying to protect. My opinion, Yes it's a good idea but it is a waste of time and money for a laundry room.

Let me explain. What are really trying to protect against, a water leak that happens when you are not at home or an incidental leak while you are there. What kind of floor are you going to have? Wood, laminate ceramic...? Any leak on a wood or laminate floor will cause damage even with a floor drain. Ceramic with a ceramic baseboard, are you going to use a cement grout to slope the floor to the floor drain, what prevents water from running out into the hall or another room?

Most sheet vinyl will take a pretty good wetting without damage, I mean standing water. But if the water get's to the baseboard around the room it can easily and quickly migrate to another room, into the wall studs and into the sheet rock. Are you going to protect the walls from any spray that may occur? Most clothes washer leaks are from a burst, leaking, spraying hose.

If your concern is a flow of water yes a floor drain will help minimize damage to they house but it will not eliminate it unless you do other things to keep the water confined and make sure it goes down the drain. If you have a floor drain you need to makes sure you prime it every month or you will be getting sewer smells back up through it.

I love floor drains in bathrooms but then you are usually building with other water resistant materials. Commercial code requires floor drains or drain pans

Good Luck