Post Likes

IBEW HVAC LOCAL 40

Hello. New guy here. And hopeful in to the program. I can't find anyone on the motion picture side so I figure I'd as here maybe someone on here knows. IBEW local 40 has an HVAC side that's strictly movie studios, I just interviewed and am not to sure how well I did. Anyways I know score doesn't dictate list placement alone just in comparison to everyone else. There was no test only an interview. Does anyone work on this side of the industry? Or IBEW local 40? Anyone know how many guys they bring in annually? I was told like 60 but I have no idea how many per year get the call. Any info on this IBEW HVAC program would help. My initial hunch is I placed fairly decent but like I said I have no idea.

Post Likes
    That hurt to read.
    Can only hope your verbal communication is somewhat better than your written.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    In Hollywierd. The air conditiong part is not so different but that local from what I see does a lot of theatrical wiring and sound stuff. That is in pretty high demand. Which those here don't seem to get into. How many people they pick up each year I'd only be guessing. Other than being in Hollywood California what's your concern, wages should be OK, could be a pretty interesting gig. Hope you get in, if you do stay long enough to get your journeyman status and nothing says you got to stay there for ever.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    In Hollywierd. The air conditiong part is not so different but that local from what I see does a lot of theatrical wiring and sound stuff. That is in pretty high demand. Which those here don't seem to get into. How many people they pick up each year I'd only be guessing. Other than being in Hollywood California what's your concern, wages should be OK, could be a pretty interesting gig. Hope you get in, if you do stay long enough to get your journeyman status and nothing says you got to stay there for ever.
    Thanks man. If it's in high demand then I think common sense would dictate that everyone on the list will get a chance eventually. I just know they work crazy hours. Like long ones and that some people do leave because it becomes to much. But I feel like that's a good problem to have. I wanted to learn a trade but when I started talking to different guys I got a real sense of "brotherhood" with the IBEW locals. And most people I've talked to from there are super willing to help anyone out with info. So I'm a journeyman butcher and one of my favorite things to do is train apprentices but our industry has changed so much there's basically none of that left. So I really wanted to get in and then give back. Like teach and pass on what I've learned and help guys. "If you catch a fish for a man you feed him for a day but if you teach him to fish you feed him for a lifetime." If I get in I'd like to eventually be on one of the apprenticeship committees because I feel like I could help regular guys. We'll see. Thanks for all your info.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    If I get in I hope I can be as good as you guys are. Thanks again budd.

Post Likes
    Excellent Thread...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogesh4390 View Post
    Excellent Thread...
    Best thread ever...yippee!!
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!