Post Likes

Hmm Help and advice needed!

Our home A/C is about 20 years old and most likey in need of replacement, but until we can afford it I am hoping some advice here will get us back up and running. The wife and I left for a week but let our Grandkids stay at the house. Two Story Home, they stayed in the lower half of the house and left the AC on 65 day and night for the entire week. We came home to a house of 89 degrees upstairs. Long story short the evap coil had ice about two inces thick and the return line was iced all the way back to the outside A/C Unit. It's taken 24 hours but the ice is all melted and the unit is running. Pipes are cold but we have NO or little air flow through the floor vents. The fan appears to be running and sounds normal. I am fairly sure the unit is no low on R22 but not 100% sure. Any suggestions?. I've changed the filter and looked for blockages, opened all the regesters but not seeing much air movement.

Post Likes
    Are you sure all of the ice melted from the evaporator coil? Evaporators are usually hard to see and perhaps it's still frozen up. Try running the heat for a few minutes to see if that improves anything.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Well, I let it thaw for about eight hours, then used a hair dryer to make sure no ice was present. This morning when I got up this is what we had..... In the morning I have to call the professionals..Name:  EVAP ICE.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  14.0 KB

Post Likes
    Sometimes turning it off for 8 hours or 24 hours or whatever isn't long enough. Ice can take a LONG time to melt sometimes.

You did have that thing back together with the access panels on before you started it back up I hope. If so, and if the larger pipe was "beer can cold" after a short time of running with what you're sure was a completely thawed out coil, then I would guess you have something going on with the airflow. Perhaps a dirty evap coil. Were you able to get a look at the inner part of that A-Coil? That's typically where an airflow impeding carpet of filth might be, or perhaps a balloon or plastic bag or something like that stuck to the coil.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.