Thread: Ongoing issues with American Standard system

Post Likes

Ongoing issues with American Standard system

I had a very expensive American Standard complete system (condenser, furnace, etc) installed in July 2016 ($ with new ductwork, less some rebates from the power company).

Since then I've had no less than a dozen outages, most of which were indicated by the thermostat reading an error message: Alert Code: Err 184.07. I've had four different HVAC repair companies work on the system, and generally they have been able to get it working for at least a couple of of months. The failure reasons given have been varied, including "dirty condenser", "needs refrigerant", "system hung up", and "I have no idea, but when I reset it, it started working".

It's been a more frequent issue this summer, so I tried a company that's a certified repair company for American Standard. They sent a regular tech out, and he said it was just dirty, but that if it happened again they would send a senior tech. It happened again 7 weeks later, and the senior tech came out last Tuesday. He said the problem is that the DC power system in the unit is very sensitive, and locks up if the power is even slightly weird. I don't necessarily think we have weird power, but I'm no expert. And the problem is back less than one week later.

The condenser is a 4A7V0036 and the coil is a 4TXCB006DS3. The furnace is a AUHMB080ACV3.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I am at a loss on this one, and I don't know where to turn for help.

Curt

Name:  IMG_0702.jpg
Views: 16314
Size:  54.4 KB
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-07-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Post Likes
    184.07 is a hard lockout. So that means it’s sensed too many other errors and it locked it self out to prevent any damage to the unit itself.
    What other ERR 184.XX codes came before the 184.07 shows up?

For what that “senior tech” said about the power issue. It’s not true. ERR184 codes have to do with the refrigerant side of the unit. Sounds like you need to locate a contractor that has great experience with variable speed communication units.

Use our contractor map to get you a contractor that knows what they are doing

Post Likes
    Should be able to look at error history to find which specific code led to the hard lock out.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by curttulsa View Post
    It happened again 7 weeks later, and the senior tech came out last Tuesday. He said the problem is that the DC power system in the unit is very sensitive, and locks up if the power is even slightly weird. I don't necessarily think we have weird power, but I'm no expert. And the problem is back less than one week later.
    I have seen couple communicating Furnaces here in Houston plugged into a UPS, I don't know if the installer did this, or another service company, I don't know the reason behind this, maybe because of the same issues you're having.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Thank you so much for the reply. Can you point me in the right direction to look at the error code history? I can't find it on this crazy thermostat.

I've looked at the map on this site for contractors. There's only one in Tulsa, and his street address is a house, and his phone number seems to be a cell phone. I may try one of the other American Standard "customer care" dealers next - there are three in Tulsa and I've only tried one of them.

Post Likes
    With the site rules, idk if we can tell you how to do it. Maybe an admin can clarify...

The guy you found might be a one man show. There’s nothing wrong with that. He might be able to do what the other companies couldn’t....

7. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you so much for the reply. Can you point me in the right direction to look at the error code history? I can't find it on this crazy thermostat.

I've looked at the map on this site for contractors. There's only one in Tulsa, and his street address is a house, and his phone number seems to be a cell phone. I may try one of the other American Standard "customer care" dealers next - there are three in Tulsa and I've only tried one of them.
    If it's not in the regular menu section, hold the menu button for five or ten seconds, more options should pop up. Don't make any changes, just look for error history.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    I've looked at the map on this site for contractors. There's only one in Tulsa, and his street address is a house, and his phone number seems to be a cell phone.
    Wow! Imagine that! Kind of reminds me of how Paul Allen and Bill Gates and the way they started out, except they didn’t have a cell phone. It’s a wonder a one man, or two man band could possibly make it in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    If it's not in the regular menu section, hold the menu button for five or ten seconds, more options should pop up. Don't make any changes, just look for error history.
    I found the alerts log under "Technician Access", which I had to hold down for 5 seconds to access. Thanks for the pointer.

To be clear, I am not a DIY guy in the sense that I have no desire to fix my own system. I definitely want to pay a professional to do that. I've just had really bad luck so far, and I am looking for advice on troubleshooting so that maybe I can find someone who seems to understand this stuff.

In the alerts history for the past five days I found the following:

178.01 DC LOW CO (maybe that's why the other tech was going down the path of crappy power)
    180.02 LOW VOLT CO
    185.10 LSPP CLG DN
    185.11 LSPP CLG HD
    185.08 CLG DERATE
    184.00 IDCF CO
    184.03 LSPP CLG CO

It seems like a lot of these mention "low airflow" along with other possible symptoms. I don't know what that means.

I know my installer was incompetent - I learned that the hard way during the project. My bet is that he did something wrong to cause this system to have repeated failures for the past few years.

I'll try giving the independent guy a call per you guys' suggestion and see if it seems like he knows these systems.

Any other ideas on the possible cause of the problems would be welcome.

To get through the weekend I cycled the breakers on both the outdoor and indoor units, and after the thermostat rebooted the system worked again, for now.

Thanks again.
    Curt

Post Likes
    American Standard distributors are supposed to have a well trained tech rep on staff to help dealers with problem units like this. See if your dealer can get his support guy out. Our guy is incredible and the support to him from American Standard is excellent.

Post Likes
    All the 184xx 185xx codes have to do with the refrigerant side of the equipment. You need a competent tech to find and fix this problem!!!

The reasons why it works after you cycle the breakers, you are “clearing” the lockout and allowing it to run, until it detects the fault again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    All the 184xx 185xx codes have to do with the refrigerant side of the equipment. You need a competent tech to find and fix this problem!!!
    Yes! could be something as simple as a bad valve, but a good tech can figure it out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Yes! could be something as simple as a bad valve, but a good tech can figure it out.
    Funny you should mention that - the senior tech came back out today after the system locked up 2 more times since the weekend. He spent about 3 hours at my house and diagnosed a bad thermostatic expansion valve.

Unfortunately, while the part is under warranty it must be a real pain to get to as the labor is quite expensive. This crazy expensive system just gets costlier and costlier.

I also called American Standard Customer Care and opened a case with them. They warned that I better not have had any non-certified technicians work on the system, as that would void the warranty. I assured them that I had not, and I provided a copy of my warranty registration. I asked them to please contact my dealer and provide advice, since they seemed to be struggling to figure out the problem after multiple visits.

I'm hopeful that the TXV replacement will do the trick, although I worry that this is just one more easy thing for the tech to replace and "see if it helps".

Curt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in