Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the follow up, even though it didn’t work, it’s nice to have a conclusion that might help another tech in the future when they search the forum about this product.
    Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

2. Likes Lahrs liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Thanks for the follow up, even though it didn’t work, it’s nice to have a conclusion that might help another tech in the future when they search the forum about this product.
    Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 911heatingair View Post
    Philanthropy is a hobby of mine and by association my company as well. We donate new furnaces to needy families in the winter so making an effort to fix an AC rather than replace it is something I like doing. At the same time, I wanted to give this a shot more for me than them. I thought I might be able to fix it, so I wanted to try since the best reason I got from the people that posted is that I shouldn't do it because it's a waste of time because if they have no money they don't deserve it or it can't be done which basically says there's no other good reason. All the more reason to try.

So here's the scoop. I went back and made my attempt. I cleaned it up very well with a rotary tool and hydrochloric acid. I proceeded to braze the holes closed. The holes closed but the section of pipe I had brazed had been weakend by the rust so as soon as I went to check the strength of the section it cracked. So, I rebrazed it but this time coated the entire section in rod. This time it was very strong and definitely not going to crack. Pressure tested to 300 psi no leaks or pings on hydrogen tester. At this point I think i'm home free. So, I vac'd and charged. Well, it was running but I could tell there was a huge pressure drop across the brazed section because of the temperature change (icing on the compressor side). Low suction pressure, high superheat. I pumped down the charge and cut open the section to find melted nylon clogging it.

This corrugated steel suction line is wrapped on the outside with a black plastic/rubber jacket. On the inside it is coated with nylon.

The thread would've been more effective if there was advice backed with evidence rather than advice out of nothing. Either way, that's what this stuff is made of and yes it can be brazed closed but it doesn't matter because the nylon melts in the process. In this case highside red epoxy would have been the best solution next to replacing the lineset. Replacing the lineset is what we're going to do in the next couple days.

Cheers!
    How many times were you advised to replace that lineset ? How many hours & $ of material do you have in this job and still need to to fix it ? You could have replaced it faster doing a better service to those needy folks and had time to go do a couple of more non-billable feal good jobs. Hey, I know an old retired couple that sure could use a free new condensing furnace to replace their 24 year old 80% , they are on a fixed income

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    How many times were you advised to replace that lineset ? How many hours & $ of material do you have in this job and still need to to fix it ? You could have replaced it faster doing a better service to those needy folks and had time to go do a couple of more non-billable feal good jobs. Hey, I know an old retired couple that sure could use a free new condensing furnace to replace their 24 year old 80% , they are on a fixed income
    Hindsight is 20/20. I commend the dude for trying. It sounds like he has some skills with the torch and that he almost got it. It also sounds like it was a kind of a fun experiment, so what the hell? Sometimes you never know until you try.

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

6. Likes Lahrs, thatguy liked this post
    Post Likes
    Great post 911, probably never see any of those linesets in my small service area but definitely an interesting read

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly's Service View Post
    Great post 911, probably never see any of those linesets in my small service area but definitely an interesting read

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    This.

From the weird lineset to alternative leak testing methods, I'm walking away smarter. Thanks 911.

9. Likes jbhenergy liked this post
    Post Likes
    Yup, cool thread. I like your philosophy 911.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123