Post Likes

What is this and where does it go?

Hi all,
    I have an older home that currently has a mid-efficiency furnace. It has an exhaust pipe going up to what I assume is the chimney...but underneath the furnace exhaust pipe, there is a second exhaust pipe in the wall that is capped (cap comes off easily). When I look into the pipe, I can see that it clearly goes up (the same direction as the pipe above it connected to the furnace).

My question is, what is this? Can I use an inline fan to blow the moist air out of the basement through this other pipe?

How do I post pictures?

Post Likes
    Post a photo. It’s likely a combustion air supply.
    Exhausting air is a poor method at humidity control. You’ll create a negative pressure in the basement with no make up air, and either start pulling air in from outside or conditioned air from upstairs.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    overgrow.com/t/what-is-this-and-can-i-exhaust-out-of-it/22526?page=2

The site page above has pics...cant find how to upload pics here...cant find a help section that instructs how to upload pics either.

Thanks for the help!!!