Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Nice work, but damn how old is that house?
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    what does the finished job look like this looks good for a start

Post Likes
    it was built back when homes were built with pride by americans in the usa

Post Likes
    I wasn't with them when they finished but I think it came out good. 7) 6" rounds and we are going back in a few weeks to duct the upstairs

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    Could you have made the return plenum shallower and helped out your base a little and made it taller?
    I wanted to go taller but I was limited by the number of supplies I needed to add to the back, left, right.

Post Likes
    sometimes you have to make chicken salad .... out of chicken shit

7. Likes kangaroogod liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Horizontal would have been much more difficult. There was a 8x24 floor grill added in the floor offset left. 2 floor joists panned across above plenum and into the 20x20 filter rack that is built into the return box. The 7-8 round is actually a supply that was not connected yet. 9) 6" rounds off the plenum and since there is no heat upstairs, we are pulling a 14 round off the back and going into the attic to supply 3br and a bath on the 2nd floor. 120yr old farm house with challenging ducting. I would have liked to add return for the upstairs and not used a central return downstairs but it wasn't in his budget

"Horizontal would have been much more difficult." How so?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    I wasn't with them when they finished but I think it came out good. 7) 6" rounds and we are going back in a few weeks to duct the upstairs

That looks much better, but , I've got another question, ... How high above the floor of that crawl space is the bottom of that cross-over duct from the floor?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Why? The air through the cooling coil flows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    That is interesting, hope its a down flow coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post

That looks much better, but , I've got another question, ... How high above the floor of that crawl space is the bottom of that cross-over duct from the floor?
    There was 1 poured pad that is 3" thick originally and he poured a 2nd ext to it so the width would work. We put the box on 2" plastic corners

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    "Horizontal would have been much more difficult." How so?
    Unless we hung the unit on unistrut from the floor joist or set on blocks i am unsure how to hang. The furnace, coil, return, plenum would be 30,34,18,24 ish which would be nearly 9' long and would not fit side to side as the pic looks. It would need to be turned around and much more duct. What is your thought? (I ask in all seriousness as I love options) I was just told about a job today we a doing in a few weeks,, existing oil lowboy, basement height 67" and customer is getting furnace ac with with a total eq height of 64" without duct. Probably going to do the same unless a good horizontal option makes sense

Post Likes
    Unless we hung the unit on unistrut from the floor joist or set on blocks i am unsure how to hang. The furnace, coil, return, plenum would be 30,34,18,24 ish which would be nearly 9' long and would not fit side to side as the pic looks. It would need to be turned around and much more duct. What is your thought? (I ask in all seriousness as I love options) I was just told about a job today we a doing in a few weeks,, existing oil lowboy, basement height 67" and customer is getting furnace ac with with a total eq height of 64" without duct. Probably going to do the same unless a good horizontal option makes sense

Kanga,

I've hung the equipment in 2" x 4" wooden cradles, mounted to the floor joists, that once they were braced off, the platform would easily support me climbing up in it. I've also used channel iron, in the same fashion. The Clermont County Inspectors didn't have one problem with that set up.

The bulk of the time, that I had a tear out, & then full install, in a basement, such as yours, it did involve more ductwork, in order to tie in to the existing floor registers, & any ductwork that would've fed a S/A &/or R/A to another floor, but, when it was all "Said & Done", we managed to get the equipment to one side of the basement, with the Ductwork installed where it largely wasn't a "Head Banger".

I did one oil furnace replacement, that was in a stone basement such as this Installation that You did, but I had to pour a pad, cuz' the floor was gravel, install a sump pump, & Reline the stone chimney with a Stainless liner. There was enough height to run the ductwork, & not cause usage of the basement to be prohibitive.

64" available space between floor & joist bottom? Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a "bow yer head crawl-space"!

How high is this "Lo-boy"? Has that "Basement" ever flooded? With consideration towards the S/A Plenum being 2" away from Combustibles, what size duct would You have to run?

What shape is the existing chimney in? Lined? Stone only?

Could the H.O. be talked in to installing a Counterflow Furnace on the 1st Fl., in a yet to be built room of it's own, with the ductwork in the so called "Basement" then being run throughout??

Post Likes
    We are yanking the fuel oil and going propane so the chimney is not a problem. I believe they have an electric water heater so the chimney will be abandoned.
    I am unsure about basement flooding but looking at the pics it looks like clean concrete and dry at this point.
    We will be reusing the existing supply and return plenums and ducting (maybe adding more return if necessary ad they of course are almost always inadequately sized.
    Putting the unit upstairs seems like a good idea but probably not something that many people would really consider if the basement is otherwise dry. I have only seen some pics but I am going out there later next week to look at it I believe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast