+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybe not that proud but unique

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    I wasn't with them when they finished but I think it came out good. 7) 6" rounds and we are going back in a few weeks to duct the upstairs

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That looks much better, but , I've got another question, ... How high above the floor of that crawl space is the bottom of that cross-over duct from the floor?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Why? The air through the cooling coil flows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    That is interesting, hope its a down flow coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post

That looks much better, but , I've got another question, ... How high above the floor of that crawl space is the bottom of that cross-over duct from the floor?
    There was 1 poured pad that is 3" thick originally and he poured a 2nd ext to it so the width would work. We put the box on 2" plastic corners

Post Likes
    "Horizontal would have been much more difficult." How so?
    Unless we hung the unit on unistrut from the floor joist or set on blocks i am unsure how to hang. The furnace, coil, return, plenum would be 30,34,18,24 ish which would be nearly 9' long and would not fit side to side as the pic looks. It would need to be turned around and much more duct. What is your thought? (I ask in all seriousness as I love options) I was just told about a job today we a doing in a few weeks,, existing oil lowboy, basement height 67" and customer is getting furnace ac with with a total eq height of 64" without duct. Probably going to do the same unless a good horizontal option makes sense

Post Likes
    Unless we hung the unit on unistrut from the floor joist or set on blocks i am unsure how to hang. The furnace, coil, return, plenum would be 30,34,18,24 ish which would be nearly 9' long and would not fit side to side as the pic looks. It would need to be turned around and much more duct. What is your thought? (I ask in all seriousness as I love options) I was just told about a job today we a doing in a few weeks,, existing oil lowboy, basement height 67" and customer is getting furnace ac with with a total eq height of 64" without duct. Probably going to do the same unless a good horizontal option makes sense

Kanga,

I've hung the equipment in 2" x 4" wooden cradles, mounted to the floor joists, that once they were braced off, the platform would easily support me climbing up in it. I've also used channel iron, in the same fashion. The Clermont County Inspectors didn't have one problem with that set up.

The bulk of the time, that I had a tear out, & then full install, in a basement, such as yours, it did involve more ductwork, in order to tie in to the existing floor registers, & any ductwork that would've fed a S/A &/or R/A to another floor, but, when it was all "Said & Done", we managed to get the equipment to one side of the basement, with the Ductwork installed where it largely wasn't a "Head Banger".

I did one oil furnace replacement, that was in a stone basement such as this Installation that You did, but I had to pour a pad, cuz' the floor was gravel, install a sump pump, & Reline the stone chimney with a Stainless liner. There was enough height to run the ductwork, & not cause usage of the basement to be prohibitive.

64" available space between floor & joist bottom? Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a "bow yer head crawl-space"!

How high is this "Lo-boy"? Has that "Basement" ever flooded? With consideration towards the S/A Plenum being 2" away from Combustibles, what size duct would You have to run?

What shape is the existing chimney in? Lined? Stone only?

Could the H.O. be talked in to installing a Counterflow Furnace on the 1st Fl., in a yet to be built room of it's own, with the ductwork in the so called "Basement" then being run throughout??
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    We are yanking the fuel oil and going propane so the chimney is not a problem. I believe they have an electric water heater so the chimney will be abandoned.
    I am unsure about basement flooding but looking at the pics it looks like clean concrete and dry at this point.
    We will be reusing the existing supply and return plenums and ducting (maybe adding more return if necessary ad they of course are almost always inadequately sized.
    Putting the unit upstairs seems like a good idea but probably not something that many people would really consider if the basement is otherwise dry. I have only seen some pics but I am going out there later next week to look at it I believe.

Post Likes
    We are yanking the fuel oil and going propane so the chimney is not a problem. I believe they have an electric water heater so the chimney will be abandoned.
    I am unsure about basement flooding but looking at the pics it looks like clean concrete and dry at this point.
    We will be reusing the existing supply and return plenums and ducting (maybe adding more return if necessary ad they of course are almost always inadequately sized.
    Putting the unit upstairs seems like a good idea but probably not something that many people would really consider if the basement is otherwise dry. I have only seen some pics but I am going out there later next week to look at it I believe.

Condensing Gas, should give far fewer problems than oil. How are you planning to run your PVC, up the old chimney, or horizontal Kanga?

A couple of years back, I installed a Propane Condensing Gas with Heat Pump, in a home that only had an old Siegler Stove for heat. Each room of this Farm House had it's own stone foundation, with each foundation being approx. 30" wide +/- a couple of inches.

The bulk of these rooms, were over their own crawl space with the height averaging about 24", .... Boys turned in to Men, & Men cried on that Job. LOL!

I asked about the "Flooding", cause since Sept. 2018, ... I've had Service Calls for homes (Not My Installs), where the equipment got Flooded out so bad, that the only way to get in to the partial basement was by pumping it out first. The Upflow furnace on that one, had gone completely under-water. But, in that case, even a furnace installed horizontally in a cradle would've been damaged. That H.O., had let his gutters go to crap, & the downspouts were pouring water straight down along the outside wall, plus, his basement entry, was stone with no drain, & there wasn't a Sump-pump in the basement.

Lol! The H.O., thought that I'd be just taking some towels & drying out the furnace. To compound the matter, that furnace had received flooding before, for the blower compartment was rusted through so badly that a softball coulda rolled through it with hardly any problem. He had insurance, & they paid for the Furnace only, & not the Duct work changes, nor the A.C. that his wife wanted.

As far as putting the Furnace upstairs? Where I've shown the H.O., the amount of Rust, Dust, Dirt, & even dead mice, & skeletons of things that I couldn't figure out what it was, ... the bulk of them agreed with my installing the unit upstairs, & boxing it in (Fire rated drywall inside & outside, & a Fire rated door)so as make Service a Breeze, as well as the H.O. able to change filters.

On Condensing Gas, the bulk of the time that "Furnace Room" was located on an outside wall, that allowed horizontal Exhaust/Combustion Air.

With the bulk of my work, out here in the Country, ... many of the installs have been done in Old Farmhouses, & each time there's been some kind of surprise that popped up, like Groundhawgs that seriously didn't want me in their Home, & a several HUGE Snakes that showed me how big of a Wussie one of my helpers, named Charley was, cuz he hauled his 6'3 280 pound frame outa that low basement/crawl Screaming like a Beaten Baby, when that 5 ft long black snake fell outa the floor joists on him. I think Charley pissed himself, but he swore that he used the H.O.'s garden hose, while he was running around the yard like a chicken with it's head cut off.

Post Likes
    Condensing Gas, should give far fewer problems than oil. How are you planning to run your PVC, up the old chimney, or horizontal Kanga?

A couple of years back, I installed a Propane Condensing Gas with Heat Pump, in a home that only had an old Siegler Stove for heat. Each room of this Farm House had it's own stone foundation, with each foundation being approx. 30" wide +/- a couple of inches.

The bulk of these rooms, were over their own crawl space with the height averaging about 24", .... Boys turned in to Men, & Men cried on that Job. LOL!

I asked about the "Flooding", cause since Sept. 2018, ... I've had Service Calls for homes (Not My Installs), where the equipment got Flooded out so bad, that the only way to get in to the partial basement was by pumping it out first. The Upflow furnace on that one, had gone completely under-water. But, in that case, even a furnace installed horizontally in a cradle would've been damaged. That H.O., had let his gutters go to crap, & the downspouts were pouring water straight down along the outside wall, plus, his basement entry, was stone with no drain, & there wasn't a Sump-pump in the basement.

Lol! The H.O., thought that I'd be just taking some towels & drying out the furnace. To compound the matter, that furnace had received flooding before, for the blower compartment was rusted through so badly that a softball coulda rolled through it with hardly any problem. He had insurance, & they paid for the Furnace only, & not the Duct work changes, nor the A.C. that his wife wanted.

As far as putting the Furnace upstairs? Where I've shown the H.O., the amount of Rust, Dust, Dirt, & even dead mice, & skeletons of things that I couldn't figure out what it was, ... the bulk of them agreed with my installing the unit upstairs, & boxing it in (Fire rated drywall inside & outside, & a Fire rated door)so as make Service a Breeze, as well as the H.O. able to change filters.

On Condensing Gas, the bulk of the time that "Furnace Room" was located on an outside wall, that allowed horizontal Exhaust/Combustion Air.

With the bulk of my work, out here in the Country, ... many of the installs have been done in Old Farmhouses, & each time there's been some kind of surprise that popped up, like Groundhawgs that seriously didn't want me in their Home, & a several HUGE Snakes that showed me how big of a Wussie one of my helpers, named Charley was, cuz he hauled his 6'3 280 pound frame outa that low basement/crawl Screaming like a Beaten Baby, when that 5 ft long black snake fell outa the floor joists on him. I think Charley pissed himself, but he swore that he used the H.O.'s garden hose, while he was running around the yard like a chicken with it's head cut off.
    99+% of the time it would be 2 pipe sidewall vent. I have sleeved pipe down the chimney a few times over the years but almost never. I have wanted to try the duravent 90% chimney liner someday but we sub the roof work out and never had got involved. I helped a guy at a house today. 1850 house with hand chiseled boulders around the house and not sill plate. Spent over an hour trying the find a place to vent and I found out that brand new glass block windows remove fairly easily with a hammer and screwdriver

Post Likes
    99+% of the time it would be 2 pipe sidewall vent. I have sleeved pipe down the chimney a few times over the years but almost never. I have wanted to try the duravent 90% chimney liner someday but we sub the roof work out and never had got involved. I helped a guy at a house today. 1850 house with hand chiseled boulders around the house and not sill plate. Spent over an hour trying the find a place to vent and I found out that brand new glass block windows remove fairly easily with a hammer and screwdriver

There's been a few jobs, in my past, where in order to vent horizontally, I found that I had to remove several very large stones that made a very large hole, that I had to cut stone down & then re-install.

Those chimney liners aren't bad at all, as far as the installation.

So far, I've never had to remove any of the glass block windows.

Post Likes
    Hell we should mount them all like this

Now if the coil ices up and melts .... it wont rain into the furnace

No flues to remove gaining axcess to coil either

11. Likes kangaroogod liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Hell we should mount them all like this

Now if the coil ices up and melts .... it wont rain into the furnace

No flues to remove gaining axcess to coil either

Post Likes
    Started another one of these today, customer had an old oil furnace and hasn't had central heating in 10yrs. Here is a pic of the inside of the box without the top on. I'll see if I can get a couple pics friday of the completed install

14. Likes johoff34 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The job wasn't done in the pics and I had the guys redo the crooked supply plenumn but it was the best of a bad situation. Friggin 17" solid hemlock sill plate was fun to drill.

Post Likes
    The job wasn't done in the pics and I had the guys redo the crooked supply plenumn but it was the best of a bad situation. Friggin 17" solid hemlock sill plate was fun to drill.

Post Likes
    Started another one of these today, customer had an old oil furnace and hasn't had central heating in 10yrs. Here is a pic of the inside of the box without the top on. I'll see if I can get a couple pics friday of the completed install

That box is awesome!!! Did you make them with vane rails? Or pre made vanes?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johoff34 View Post
    That box is awesome!!! Did you make them with vane rails? Or pre made vanes?

Our metal shop makes them but I believe it is vane rail.

Post Likes
    I think the concept/engineering behind this install, although I’m still confused on how a horizontal install wouldn’t have been any easier or cost effective? Also how did you determine the “correct” pitch of your vanes to insure maximum airflow? And do you think the plenum box will get hot to the touch being that close to your burners with no insulation? I would be interested in seeing the static on this application. If you ever have to clean the Evap it shouldn’t be hard to get to haha

Post Likes
    Nice work. I think it takes up a lot less space than a horizontal install would.
    TACLB16522C

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UrAverageAguy View Post
    I think the concept/engineering behind this install, although I’m still confused on how a horizontal install wouldn’t have been any easier or cost effective? Also how did you determine the “correct” pitch of your vanes to insure maximum airflow? And do you think the plenum box will get hot to the touch being that close to your burners with no insulation? I would be interested in seeing the static on this application. If you ever have to clean the Evap it shouldn’t be hard to get to haha

I meant to say I LIKE the concept behind this install, it’s very neat and definitely a layout I haven’t thought of before. That’s why I was curious on the angle on your vanes and how well the performance was after turning it on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in