Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 39 of 39
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,281
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    We are yanking the fuel oil and going propane so the chimney is not a problem. I believe they have an electric water heater so the chimney will be abandoned.
    I am unsure about basement flooding but looking at the pics it looks like clean concrete and dry at this point.
    We will be reusing the existing supply and return plenums and ducting (maybe adding more return if necessary ad they of course are almost always inadequately sized.
    Putting the unit upstairs seems like a good idea but probably not something that many people would really consider if the basement is otherwise dry. I have only seen some pics but I am going out there later next week to look at it I believe.


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Condensing Gas, should give far fewer problems than oil. How are you planning to run your PVC, up the old chimney, or horizontal Kanga?

    A couple of years back, I installed a Propane Condensing Gas with Heat Pump, in a home that only had an old Siegler Stove for heat. Each room of this Farm House had it's own stone foundation, with each foundation being approx. 30" wide +/- a couple of inches.

    The bulk of these rooms, were over their own crawl space with the height averaging about 24", .... Boys turned in to Men, & Men cried on that Job. LOL!

    I asked about the "Flooding", cause since Sept. 2018, ... I've had Service Calls for homes (Not My Installs), where the equipment got Flooded out so bad, that the only way to get in to the partial basement was by pumping it out first. The Upflow furnace on that one, had gone completely under-water. But, in that case, even a furnace installed horizontally in a cradle would've been damaged. That H.O., had let his gutters go to crap, & the downspouts were pouring water straight down along the outside wall, plus, his basement entry, was stone with no drain, & there wasn't a Sump-pump in the basement.

    Lol! The H.O., thought that I'd be just taking some towels & drying out the furnace. To compound the matter, that furnace had received flooding before, for the blower compartment was rusted through so badly that a softball coulda rolled through it with hardly any problem. He had insurance, & they paid for the Furnace only, & not the Duct work changes, nor the A.C. that his wife wanted.

    As far as putting the Furnace upstairs? Where I've shown the H.O., the amount of Rust, Dust, Dirt, & even dead mice, & skeletons of things that I couldn't figure out what it was, ... the bulk of them agreed with my installing the unit upstairs, & boxing it in (Fire rated drywall inside & outside, & a Fire rated door)so as make Service a Breeze, as well as the H.O. able to change filters.

    On Condensing Gas, the bulk of the time that "Furnace Room" was located on an outside wall, that allowed horizontal Exhaust/Combustion Air.

    With the bulk of my work, out here in the Country, ... many of the installs have been done in Old Farmhouses, & each time there's been some kind of surprise that popped up, like Groundhawgs that seriously didn't want me in their Home, & a several HUGE Snakes that showed me how big of a Wussie one of my helpers, named Charley was, cuz he hauled his 6'3 280 pound frame outa that low basement/crawl Screaming like a Beaten Baby, when that 5 ft long black snake fell outa the floor joists on him. I think Charley pissed himself, but he swore that he used the H.O.'s garden hose, while he was running around the yard like a chicken with it's head cut off.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Pavilion, NY
    Posts
    3,445
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Condensing Gas, should give far fewer problems than oil. How are you planning to run your PVC, up the old chimney, or horizontal Kanga?

    A couple of years back, I installed a Propane Condensing Gas with Heat Pump, in a home that only had an old Siegler Stove for heat. Each room of this Farm House had it's own stone foundation, with each foundation being approx. 30" wide +/- a couple of inches.

    The bulk of these rooms, were over their own crawl space with the height averaging about 24", .... Boys turned in to Men, & Men cried on that Job. LOL!

    I asked about the "Flooding", cause since Sept. 2018, ... I've had Service Calls for homes (Not My Installs), where the equipment got Flooded out so bad, that the only way to get in to the partial basement was by pumping it out first. The Upflow furnace on that one, had gone completely under-water. But, in that case, even a furnace installed horizontally in a cradle would've been damaged. That H.O., had let his gutters go to crap, & the downspouts were pouring water straight down along the outside wall, plus, his basement entry, was stone with no drain, & there wasn't a Sump-pump in the basement.

    Lol! The H.O., thought that I'd be just taking some towels & drying out the furnace. To compound the matter, that furnace had received flooding before, for the blower compartment was rusted through so badly that a softball coulda rolled through it with hardly any problem. He had insurance, & they paid for the Furnace only, & not the Duct work changes, nor the A.C. that his wife wanted.

    As far as putting the Furnace upstairs? Where I've shown the H.O., the amount of Rust, Dust, Dirt, & even dead mice, & skeletons of things that I couldn't figure out what it was, ... the bulk of them agreed with my installing the unit upstairs, & boxing it in (Fire rated drywall inside & outside, & a Fire rated door)so as make Service a Breeze, as well as the H.O. able to change filters.

    On Condensing Gas, the bulk of the time that "Furnace Room" was located on an outside wall, that allowed horizontal Exhaust/Combustion Air.

    With the bulk of my work, out here in the Country, ... many of the installs have been done in Old Farmhouses, & each time there's been some kind of surprise that popped up, like Groundhawgs that seriously didn't want me in their Home, & a several HUGE Snakes that showed me how big of a Wussie one of my helpers, named Charley was, cuz he hauled his 6'3 280 pound frame outa that low basement/crawl Screaming like a Beaten Baby, when that 5 ft long black snake fell outa the floor joists on him. I think Charley pissed himself, but he swore that he used the H.O.'s garden hose, while he was running around the yard like a chicken with it's head cut off.
    99+% of the time it would be 2 pipe sidewall vent. I have sleeved pipe down the chimney a few times over the years but almost never. I have wanted to try the duravent 90% chimney liner someday but we sub the roof work out and never had got involved. I helped a guy at a house today. 1850 house with hand chiseled boulders around the house and not sill plate. Spent over an hour trying the find a place to vent and I found out that brand new glass block windows remove fairly easily with a hammer and screwdriver

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    ...

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,281
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    99+% of the time it would be 2 pipe sidewall vent. I have sleeved pipe down the chimney a few times over the years but almost never. I have wanted to try the duravent 90% chimney liner someday but we sub the roof work out and never had got involved. I helped a guy at a house today. 1850 house with hand chiseled boulders around the house and not sill plate. Spent over an hour trying the find a place to vent and I found out that brand new glass block windows remove fairly easily with a hammer and screwdriver

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    There's been a few jobs, in my past, where in order to vent horizontally, I found that I had to remove several very large stones that made a very large hole, that I had to cut stone down & then re-install.

    Those chimney liners aren't bad at all, as far as the installation.

    So far, I've never had to remove any of the glass block windows.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,475
    Post Likes
    Hell we should mount them all like this

    Now if the coil ices up and melts .... it wont rain into the furnace

    No flues to remove gaining axcess to coil either

  5. Likes kangaroogod liked this post
  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,281
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Hell we should mount them all like this

    Now if the coil ices up and melts .... it wont rain into the furnace

    No flues to remove gaining axcess to coil either


    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Pavilion, NY
    Posts
    3,445
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Started another one of these today, customer had an old oil furnace and hasn't had central heating in 10yrs. Here is a pic of the inside of the box without the top on. I'll see if I can get a couple pics friday of the completed install

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    ...

  8. Likes johoff34 liked this post
  9. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Pavilion, NY
    Posts
    3,445
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    The job wasn't done in the pics and I had the guys redo the crooked supply plenumn but it was the best of a bad situation. Friggin 17" solid hemlock sill plate was fun to drill.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    ...

  10. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,281
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    The job wasn't done in the pics and I had the guys redo the crooked supply plenumn but it was the best of a bad situation. Friggin 17" solid hemlock sill plate was fun to drill.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  11. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Grand Blanc
    Posts
    547
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Started another one of these today, customer had an old oil furnace and hasn't had central heating in 10yrs. Here is a pic of the inside of the box without the top on. I'll see if I can get a couple pics friday of the completed install

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    That box is awesome!!! Did you make them with vane rails? Or pre made vanes?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Pavilion, NY
    Posts
    3,445
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by johoff34 View Post
    That box is awesome!!! Did you make them with vane rails? Or pre made vanes?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our metal shop makes them but I believe it is vane rail.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    ...

  13. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    135
    Post Likes
    I think the concept/engineering behind this install, although I’m still confused on how a horizontal install wouldn’t have been any easier or cost effective? Also how did you determine the “correct” pitch of your vanes to insure maximum airflow? And do you think the plenum box will get hot to the touch being that close to your burners with no insulation? I would be interested in seeing the static on this application. If you ever have to clean the Evap it shouldn’t be hard to get to haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,210
    Post Likes
    Nice work. I think it takes up a lot less space than a horizontal install would.
    TACLB16522C

  15. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    135
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UrAverageAguy View Post
    I think the concept/engineering behind this install, although I’m still confused on how a horizontal install wouldn’t have been any easier or cost effective? Also how did you determine the “correct” pitch of your vanes to insure maximum airflow? And do you think the plenum box will get hot to the touch being that close to your burners with no insulation? I would be interested in seeing the static on this application. If you ever have to clean the Evap it shouldn’t be hard to get to haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I meant to say I LIKE the concept behind this install, it’s very neat and definitely a layout I haven’t thought of before. That’s why I was curious on the angle on your vanes and how well the performance was after turning it on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •