Post Likes

Carrier Puron Infinity 38YDB - Compressor VC/VH trip - Status code --> 6 flashes

Hope this info is helpful to someone that is experiencing or will experience in the future.

I wanted to start off with my main question in case folks don't make it to the bottom of this long-winded post.

Question:
    ***Can start relays be substituted out with another relay that might have a different part number, but the Voltage and Amps are the same? For example, I have a RVAH6AQ6L (50A-400VAC) can this be replaced with another relay that is 50A-400VAC?

Background:
    Where to begin....(Sorry in advance for long winded post)

I will start off with after all the research I have done over the last several months that many folks, homeowner as well as HVAC pros have been plagued with this Carrier Infinity issue. The root cause was definitely not always the same, but I have a feeling the ones that never truly had a good explanation of pinpointing the exact issue may of fell in to my situation. In some cases it was resolved by going down the decision tree of what components to check and/or replace. If you were lucky enough to have this happen with the open SB (service bulletin) you had more options of upgrading if your model/compressor was covered by this SB. My unit was listed but unfortunately the offer expired about 2-3 years back.

So little more background, we were moving and looking for a new primary residence. We submitted an offer on a place and we paid for a general inspection. Something came back on the report on the HVAC system. This residence has 2 large carrier systems (Model 38YDB060320), the inspector was upfront and stated that while he was not a professional in the HVAC field he had very good knowledge and training to test the HVAC systems for his line of work. In the end all he could tell me was that one of the units was not functioning correctly and he advised to have a professional HVAC look at that 1 unit. I followed up with the homeowner that I was purchasing the resident from and let him know that out of everything that came back on the inspection report that I want to have the HVAC working properly. He pays and has someone come out.

1st Technician - He discovers the status code of the 6 flashes w/pause, that translates to a Compressor VC/VH trip. He tested freon levels, tested all caps. In the end he reset the breaker. When he started the AC back up everything "APPEARED" to work. Told me to keep an eye on it and let him know.

I think it worked for almost 3 weeks and then I was back at the 6 flashing lights. Since we live in Texas with our fun summer heat it was good to know that I had a quick fix. The timing was never the same for how long this would "fix" the issue. It would go days and sometimes it would just go a few hours. I again reached out to the resident owner and another technician was dispatched.

2nd Technician - This technician basically went through the same steps at the 1st technician except he went ahead and replaced both caps (run & fan). To get rid of the 6 flashing lights again the system was reset. When he started the AC back up everything "APPEARED" to work.

The frustrating part here is that any technician (even myself if I was in their shoes) would consider the job done and complete if everything is functioning and all the readings are in spec. This issue was intermittent and I could not force the error. When a fan motor goes out you can reset your system as many times as you want but that fan is not going to turn until motor is replaced.

***After reading and researching more on the Carrier Puron Infinity AC/Heat pump systems and the VC/VH issue I determined the most common issue was tied to the Puron Kick-start device. The Puron Kick-start device is a Carrier OEM device and although it is similar to the hard start capacitor and relays used on standard single speed units they are NOT the same as the Carrier OEM is unique to the 2 speed units.

So fast-forward just a little bit and I now have a home warranty plan that covers most major appliances & HVAC. I called them after the system stopped working and was in the state of flashing 6 times. They send out a technician.

3rd Technician - I can definitely understand why most technicians do NOT like to work with home warranty companies. He went through the normal test that the above technicians did. I explained that I had done alot of researching and mentioned the OEM hard start capacitor. He removed and tested both the start cap and the relay and again nothing appeared out of spec. Since this OEM hard start-capacitor kit is over $200 the warranty company needed it to show failed. So after resetting everything and the air flow and temp measured correctly he was off.

Here is where I decided to roll up my sleeves and dig in. I was not 100% sure what part it was but I was determined to get to the root cause. Remember what I stated above, this residence has 2 identical systems and only 1 is having this issue. I put on my troubleshooting hat and turned off both units as well as turned off the break to each. I swapped out the hard start-capacitor & relay between both systems. I started everything back up and I think 2 weeks went by before we had the same failure only this time it was on the system that I never had an issue with. Viola, I felt a little accomplished at least with determining root cause. I couldn't share this info with the warranty company as I am not certified(HVAC) and to be honest at this point I didn't want to go through process again and pay the warranty deductible. I didn't necessarily want to spend the $ for the kit either. I found the exact start-capacitor online from some company that removed it from a working system. It cost me around $shipping and all. I replaced this with the one on the system that kept failing with the 6 flashes. About 1 1/2 weeks went by before that same pesky VC/VH code showed back up. To resolve I started just resetting system using the breaker. After doing this about 4-5 times the resetting stopped working. The system would IMMEDIATELY go in to VC/VH with 6 flashing lights when the system tried to turn on. Since I now knew it was the relay I took a screwdriver and lightly tapped on the relay several times. After resetting again, the system worked. Here is where I am hoping someone can assist. Since I already replaced the start-capacitor is there a way to buy that exact start relay? The part info is RVAH6AQ6L (50A-400VAC). My google search turned up empty, although I did see a company sold this exact relay on ebay for around $. I wanted to see if there is a substitute or a relay that could function the same and would not be putting compressor at risk. I was hoping this might be the case because then I could by 2 relays and I would have a full backup start-capacitor kit since the start-capacitor I removed still functions fine. Please share if you have some suggestions. I already know the obvious suggestion of buying a new OEM kit .
    Please let me know.
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    You won't want to hear this, but it is time for a new unit!!!!!!

This is a Bristol 2 stage unit and has know issues. Bristol has gone out of business.

You have a compressor that is failing in either first or second stage and that is the cause for the code. Neither tech, unless they can prove the parts they replaced were bad, did anything to improve the situation.

Yes, there was a concession by Carrier to original owners and subsequent owners if still within the original warranty period to make it right. You don't fall into either category and any attempt to "fix" this will just be a waste of money.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

3. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    You won't want to hear this, but it is time for a new unit!!!!!!

This is a Bristol 2 stage unit and has know issues. Bristol has gone out of business.

You have a compressor that is failing in either first or second stage and that is the cause for the code. Neither tech, unless they can prove the parts they replaced were bad, did anything to improve the situation.

Yes, there was a concession by Carrier to original owners and subsequent owners if still within the original warranty period to make it right. You don't fall into either category and any attempt to "fix" this will just be a waste of money.
    X2. Pretty sure any of those remaining units are more than 10 year old now and out of warranty.

Cut your losses and replace the outdoor unit at a minimum. Most indoor units should still be compatible with at least some of Carrier's current outdoor units.

Alternative is to replace the entire system.

Those compressors are a major problem child. I can guarentee while it may be intermittent now it will eventually fully fail.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The short answer is no DIY advice given.

Having read through your post to the end I find it strange that you've paid for 3 techs to come to the house but won't just bite the bullet and replace the start kit with an OEM. Those compressors were such a POS that Carrier was offering money off a new condenser if the compressor failed under warranty. If you continue to run and keep resetting it you're going to do more damage to it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
    The short answer is no DIY advice given.

Having read through your post to the end I find it strange that you've paid for 3 techs to come to the house but won't just bite the bullet and replace the start kit with an OEM. Those compressors were such a POS that Carrier was offering money off a new condenser if the compressor failed under warranty. If you continue to run and keep resetting it you're going to do more damage to it.
    Read again the first 2 technicians were paid for by original owner. I have a home warranty plan now so for the 3rd tech I paid $60 deductible. I am not opposed to getting the full OEM kit. But since I know it is the start relay that is faulty I was asking if there are substitute that could be used. I know this scenario is not the same but if I go in to a Walmart looking for an automotive battery and windshield wipers they have a computer that cross references based on my make/model and I can have 6-8 different options for the battery and wipers all with a different range of prices. Is there something similar to relays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisa20 View Post
    Read again the first 2 technicians were paid for by original owner. I have a home warranty plan now so for the 3rd tech I paid $60 deductible. I am not opposed to getting the full OEM kit. But since I know it is the start relay that is faulty I was asking if there are substitute that could be used. I know this scenario is not the same but if I go in to a Walmart looking for an automotive battery and windshield wipers they have a computer that cross references based on my make/model and I can have 6-8 different options for the battery and wipers all with a different range of prices. Is there something similar to relays?

Here we go again

Home Warranty

GOOD LUCK!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Here we go again

Home Warranty

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Lol I am not a fan of the home warranty, I know it is a long post but did you read it? Anyway when purchasing a home it is pretty standard for the sellers to provide a home warranty. The issue I am dealing with is the shitty hand I was dealt.

Post Likes
    Lol I am not a fan of the home warranty, I know it is a long post but did you read it? Anyway when purchasing a home it is pretty standard for the sellers to provide a home warranty. The issue I am dealing with is the shitty hand I was dealt.

Before you bought this home did you have the HVAC inspected? Not by a home inspector but a contractor? That's when you should have been told that compressor was a LEMON.

A home Warranty is just a big bag of BS!

Post Likes
    Before you bought this home did you have the HVAC inspected? Not by a home inspector but a contractor? That's when you should have been told that compressor was a LEMON.

A home Warranty is just a big bag of BS!
    Only had the HVAC contractor come out as a result of the inspection report. None of the HVAC techs that came out mad a mention that this was a lemon, although I read enough online to know I am probably on limited time with both these units. I am hoping to make it through at least this years hot months since I don’t really have the budget to replace the units. I already ordered the full OEM starter kit but it is on back-order. Was still holding out some hope that someone might know about relay options or some online reference.

Post Likes
    Here we go again

Home Warranty

GOOD LUCK!!!
    X2

D:

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes

Only had the HVAC contractor come out as a result of the inspection report. None of the HVAC techs that came out mad a mention that this was a lemon, although I read enough online to know I am probably on limited time with both these units. I am hoping to make it through at least this years hot months since I don’t really have the budget to replace the units. I already ordered the full OEM starter kit but it is on back-order. Was still holding out some hope that someone might know about relay options or some online reference.

Do as you wish, but I would all but bet you experience the same issue with either new parts. While those parts could be having an intermittent issue, it is more likely it is the failing compressor. Think of it like this, just because your check engine light comes on does not mean the engine is bad. There are a host of things that can cause the light to come on. Similarly, an error code for HVAC equipment is to get you in a general frame of mind and the tech then narrows it down.

Because nothing in your posts indicates the techs had a clue about the Carrier/Bristol issue, I will say they did not properly troubleshoot this unit. There is a pretty extensive troubleshooting process provided by Carrier that all but eliminates any guessing, which is my belief of what your techs have done. It is not a standard piece of equipment and if unfamiliar with it, many techs misdiagnose them.

Again, no DIY, so that is as much info as I am willing to provide.

Run it until you get too frustrated and then replace it.
    Don't spend any more money on it.
    DON'T use the home warranty company to do replace it, you will regret it!!!!

Post Likes
    Do as you wish, but I would all but bet you experience the same issue with either new parts. While those parts could be having an intermittent issue, it is more likely it is the failing compressor. Think of it like this, just because your check engine light comes on does not mean the engine is bad. There are a host of things that can cause the light to come on. Similarly, an error code for HVAC equipment is to get you in a general frame of mind and the tech then narrows it down.

Because nothing in your posts indicates the techs had a clue about the Carrier/Bristol issue, I will say they did not properly troubleshoot this unit. There is a pretty extensive troubleshooting process provided by Carrier that all but eliminates any guessing, which is my belief of what your techs have done. It is not a standard piece of equipment and if unfamiliar with it, many techs misdiagnose them.

Agreed on the home warranty. Already told my wife that when it croaks or it survives until spring we will select our own. I have been looking at some of the top efficient systems. Will start getting quotes around 1st of year. Any recommendations? It is a single story approx 4K sq ft. I provided the existing model# for the 2 carrier systems for reference. They were installed in 2006.

Post Likes

Sorry I missed your first part of post. I will agree with system was not properly diagnosed. The 1st technician that came out worked for the company that originally installed the unit when house was built. He was upfront that they no longer deal with carrier and didn’t pay the subscription (I don’t recall exactly what he called it I think support subscription). That subscription allowed them to contact carrier to troubleshoot, etc. he said they would have to by additional $ and it is handled per call. Again I don’t doubt the compressor(s) will fail in the near future but once I swapped out those parts between the 2 It follow the relay and the system that originally had the issue has never had a repeat. But that exact issue VC/VH lockout only happened on other system after swap.