Post Likes

Hobart A200 mixer attachment hub gear seized

I have an old Hobart A200 mixer that has the attachment hub gear frozen tight! I haven't torn the machine apart yet so I don't actually know how bad it is seized, i cannot move it by hand. my question is,how would I go about removing this gear from the hub assembly? I have looked at parts diagrams and it doesn't seem to have bearings in it so I was thinking maybe I just need to get it apart and clean and oil it real good. Thanks for any and all help.

Post Likes
    The hub drive is live with the planetary. If the planetary moves the hub moves. If it doesn’t there’s a beveled gear that could be broken. Or the actual hub is sheared in half. Best to have a tech look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have had the beveled gear off and the gear on the hub still will not turn. it should turn freely when no other gears are touching it correct?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvolvo View Post
    I have had the beveled gear off and the gear on the hub still will not turn. it should turn freely when no other gears are touching it correct?
    What’s your background? Tech? Business owner? End user?

Post Likes
    I'm a retired maintenance foreman/electrician in the mining industry just helping my brother with his restaurant. I know how motors,gearboxes,planetaries,etc. work just on a larger scale.lol

Post Likes
    Every piece of Hobart equipment has a ML# which is kind of like a bill of materials. Depending on the age of your mixer it will be either a 5 or 6 digit number. Can you tell us your ML.

Here’s a pic of an A200 hub/planetary assy.

Is your issue that the horizontal hub (where you would hook up a grinder) is seized? Does the mixer work otherwise?

Post Likes
    The ML#17668,i'm thinking it was manufactured in the 60s possibly even the 50s. Yes everything else works. Before I worked on it, the motor would just hum in all speeds. I had to replace the stationary start switch and the centrifugal clutch pressure plate on the back of the unit ( they were damaged I think due to the employees continually trying to start it with the gearbox fouled up) now the motor runs fine when the gears are removed. All other gears turn freely until I install the bevel gear that meshes with gear #19 in your diagram, I can remove the bevel gear a try to turn gear #19 by hand and it won't budge. I'm pretty sure the problem lies in parts 9 thru 19 of your diagram. I thought it may have a bearing seized up in that attachment hub but the diagram isn't showing a bearing which strikes me as kind of odd.lol

Post Likes
    there is no bearing between the attachment hub and the attachment drive gear assy. I imagine it has seized up from corrosion. best bet is too gut the transmission, remove the grease, lay the mixer on its back and drive out the beveled gear assy with a brass punch or similar tool. Clean the bore and beveled gear shaft, reassemble and hope for the best....

Post Likes
    Thank you,i will give it a look.