+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk in cooler call unbelievable 🤦*♂️

Post Likes

Walk in cooler call unbelievable 🤦*♂️

Cooler wasnt working. New customer. Suction pressure/temp was off. 404a box. Something wasnt right. Sight glass clear and saturation temp was the same as my box temp. WTF? Was with my nephew so was the perfect call to check what the superheat and valve was doing and show him how to adjust it. Till I noticed there was NO TXV. WTF? I looked again, and told him something is very wrong or Im going to learn something. Double take at solenoid valve. Electronic? NO. Started asking customer questions he said wasnt going below 45 and was working right. I asked when box was installed. 10 years ago. Then he said well no the coil was just installed 2 years ago, was working fine. Ya right. I was going thru paperwork looking for info. He then said who installed it and said the company that did was on Lafayette Avenue. I told nephew button it up and get me model numbers, and then told customer ummmm sorry its never worked right and I know who the company is on Lafayette, and I use company loosely. I told him its never worked right and the dumb SOB forgot to install the TXV. I sent it over to my supplier and in email I said Brian I think Im missing something can you help. He calls me laughing, I think hes still laughing. Never in 25 years or his 30 years have I seen something like this. Im assuming this appliance guy and his gang of hacks thought the distributor nozzle was a metering device. LOL I just cant believe this. Box got down to 45 ish and has been running non stop for 2 years. Who in the F does shit like this? The valve was with equipment supplier checked and I saw packing slip. Wall of shame
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes trippintl0, bacciagalupe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    We don't need no expansion valve!!!
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I can only imagine the thought process rattling around his thick noggin: "It's a big cooler, so these giant cap tubes are supposed to be big as well, right?" LOL

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_pdx View Post
    Cooler wasnt working. New customer. Suction pressure/temp was off. 404a box. Something wasnt right. Sight glass clear and saturation temp was the same as my box temp. WTF? Was with my nephew so was the perfect call to check what the superheat and valve was doing and show him how to adjust it. Till I noticed there was NO TXV. WTF? I looked again, and told him something is very wrong or Im going to learn something. Double take at solenoid valve. Electronic? NO. Started asking customer questions he said wasnt going below 45 and was working right. I asked when box was installed. 10 years ago. Then he said well no the coil was just installed 2 years ago, was working fine. Ya right. I was going thru paperwork looking for info. He then said who installed it and said the company that did was on Lafayette Avenue. I told nephew button it up and get me model numbers, and then told customer ummmm sorry its never worked right and I know who the company is on Lafayette, and I use company loosely. I told him its never worked right and the dumb SOB forgot to install the TXV. I sent it over to my supplier and in email I said Brian I think Im missing something can you help. He calls me laughing, I think hes still laughing. Never in 25 years or his 30 years have I seen something like this. Im assuming this appliance guy and his gang of hacks thought the distributor nozzle was a metering device. LOL I just cant believe this. Box got down to 45 ish and has been running non stop for 2 years. Who in the F does shit like this? The valve was with equipment supplier checked and I saw packing slip. Wall of shame
    Thank You Much, for Sharing, and Making My end of Day! Take Care!

Post Likes
    His bid was one TEV cheaper

Post Likes
    How the heck was that thing keeping temp?
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

9. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Txv's are for sissies

Post Likes
    Did it even have a nozzle?

Could be the only way it somewhat worked

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Must have been the same "company" that installed this amazing WI Box door (which was purchased at Home Depot).

Low bid.

Name:  WI Box Door.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  33.2 KB

13. Likes icemeister, icy78, bacciagalupe, Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Did it even have a nozzle?

Could be the only way it somewhat worked

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I recall this being reported here on Htalk once or twice before. If they "worked" at all, they would definitely need to have a distributor nozzle installed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I recall this being reported here on Htalk once or twice before. If they "worked" at all, they would definitely need to have a distributor nozzle installed.
    Some sort of nozzle may be making it work. The OP should check for that before putting in the TXV. Don't need 2 metering devices on one system.
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Some sort of nozzle may be making it work. The OP should check for that before putting in the TXV. Don't need 2 metering devices on one system.
    Actually, with a pressure-drop type of distributor like the ones made by Sporlan, you DO need both the TXV and the nozzle. The nozzle isn't there as a metering device per se. It's needed for equal distribution and it must be accounted for when selecting a TXV because it significantly affects the available pressure drop.

Post Likes
    Actually, with a pressure-drop type of distributor like the ones made by Sporlan, you DO need both the TXV and the nozzle. The nozzle isn't there as a metering device per se. It's needed for equal distribution and it must be accounted for when selecting a TXV because it significantly affects the available pressure drop.
    Good to know. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Do you have some document or a link where where this is explained a bit more? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BobFrost View Post
    Do you have some document or a link where where this is explained a bit more? Thanks.
    Sporlan Bulletin 20-10 / Refrigerant Distributors: (See p.2-4)

https://www.parker.com/literature/Sp...=10085&elqat=2

Heatcraft - Refrigerant Distribution:

https://icemeister.net/backroom/dist...t-distribution

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BobFrost View Post
    some new evaps come with a little bag with 2 nozzles you choose from

it looks like a metal donut

You shove the nozzle into the pipe , then a clip , then braze on txv

Post Likes
    That system had a metering device. You can tell by looking at the u-bends and the green corrosion. The last few passes of each circuit have never really been much below the cold room temp and they don't sweat and oxidize.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    That system had a metering device. You can tell by looking at the u-bends and the green corrosion. The last few passes of each circuit have never really been much below the cold room temp and they don't sweat and oxidize.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    The caps off the distributor are feeding the top.
    Or what would be the front had the picture been turned.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I found an AC with no metering devices.

And believe it or not, it was at NASA. You know how those rocket scientists are, LOL.

Long time ago, so can't remember all of the details. Think is was a 20 ton AC with one semi Copeland compressor and two evap circuits. Can't even remember what the original call was. May have been tripped on oil pressure, or may have been a dead compressor.

Installed maybe ten years prior to me seeing it.

When I reported back to the HMFIC, he said no way. I said, way.

Virtually every tech and higher up had to go look at it to verify. Yup, no TEV.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in