Post Likes

sealing gaps in walk in fridge

I was called for some wet electrical inside of a walk in cooler. I closed the door with the lights off and saw a gap at the seam in the box sections. I can access this from both sides. Is there a best sealant for application inside of the box? Im not sure if this will coninue to shift, so I wonder what would be best that would have some flexibility and set up and hold just above freezing? Thanks

Post Likes
    If moisture is getting in the light fixtures seal from the outside of the conduit!

Post Likes
    For sealing the seams, use a good quality 100% Silicone RTV on the outside to prevent moisture from entering and condensing in the joint. You can then seal the inside with the same RTV but it will take longer to cure. The primary limitation is it must be above freezing.

For conduits which penetrate the box, they must be sealed inside the conduit to prevent moisture from being drawn through it.

Post Likes
    Start by tightening the camlocks
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Well, I was able to locate and seal a number of leaks with some low temp silicone. It appears though that warm air is migrating from the electrical box on top of the cold storage inside the conduit and condensation is accumulating on the wires at the terminal box inside the storage which Im trying to minimize. i got some putty from an electrician and jammed what I could inside the conduit next to the wires inside the box on top of the fridge. I wonder if there is anything better than that that would go next to the wires in the conduit or a fitting that would minimize airflow or redirect the moisture

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdanow00 View Post
    Well, I was able to locate and seal a number of leaks with some low temp silicone. It appears though that warm air is migrating from the electrical box on top of the cold storage inside the conduit and condensation is accumulating on the wires at the terminal box inside the storage which Im trying to minimize. i got some putty from an electrician and jammed what I could inside the conduit next to the wires inside the box on top of the fridge. I wonder if there is anything better than that that would go next to the wires in the conduit or a fitting that would minimize airflow or redirect the moisture
    That’s all you need!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdanow00 View Post
    I wonder if there is anything better than that that would go next to the wires in the conduit or a fitting that would minimize airflow or redirect the moisture
    Sounds like you did good. If you think about it, there should really be weather tite junction boxes on the outside of the cooler/freezer and normal type on the inside, but the way everyone does it is backwards from this. I usually see weather tite boxes on the inside and normal ones on the outside.

I often come across the same issue you had, with water dripping out of the on/off switches, light fixtures, etc. To fix the issue I often remove gaskets from the weather tite boxes and sometimes remove plugs/knockouts or drill small holes to give the moisture a way to get out, along with trying to plug up the conduit on the warm side like you did.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    We use a 3M product called Venture or cooler repair tape part number 1577CW-E to seal the seams when all the locks are closed best as possible. We make sure The cooler/freezer is shut down, thawed out and dry. Tape all the seams and it works great. The conduit has to be sealed inside the conduit as stated by another Tech.

Post Likes
    Since this thread popped up, I was approached yesterday by a guy with an aerosol sealant that he wants to try on walk-ins. Its similar concept to aerosol duct sealing products but they are doing it to full houses. Here's a video he shared with me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RFifVCE06Ik

The process is basically you pressurize the building to 100 pascals, spray this stuff in, it finds the leaks and plugs them up and then you ventilate the place out to get rid of the excess. I already asked if it would work at low temp, if it was "Food grade" and a bunch of similar questions he couldn't answer. I'm just wondering if anyone here has seen this or tried this before.