Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 359
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    9,775
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I was specifically talking about open carry at say Wal-Mart. Glad to see you are against it.

    Are you sure no mass shooter had a CC?

    And, crazies will not take meds three times a day. It shouldn't even be considered as a solution.
    Crazies should be put in a facility where they will get the proper care they need be it meds or what ever. The problem is the powers that be have decided that it is better to have more of them on the street than in a facility designed to help them. Having them in a facility makes it safer for them and the general public. The problem is those that fall through the cracks and the Psychiatrists that think they can create a full functioning person by putting them in the general public. Many of these people have families that take the responsibility to care for them and that is great, but that is not what happens with all of them for what ever reason.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,224
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I was specifically talking about open carry at say Wal-Mart. Glad to see you are against it.

    Are you sure no mass shooter had a CC?

    And, crazies will not take meds three times a day. It shouldn't even be considered as a solution.
    Licensed concealed carriers have a lower level of criminal violations than sworn police officers. Now who do you trust with a firearm? No mass shooters were CC permit people.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    10,001
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Licensed concealed carriers have a lower level of criminal violations than sworn police officers. Now who do you trust with a firearm? No mass shooters were CC permit people.
    I would still trust a cop with a gun over a civilian. A reason a cop may commit more crime is because Police are very often above the law and tend to forget about laws. Further, all they need is two of their buddies to corroborate a story and they can get away with murder. Done all the time. They also deal with the filth of society on a daily basis. These two things will obscure the sensibility of an off-duty cop. A cop also uses his gun on an almost daily basis to protect himself against that filth. Hence, has more realtime experience with a gun in public.

    A toter has little to no experience ever using his gun in public. Not even brandishing it like cops do. Cops also have more situational and stress training than a civilian.

    I'd go with the cop.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,224
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I would still trust a cop with a gun over a civilian. A reason a cop may commit more crime is because Police are very often above the law and tend to forget about laws. Further, all they need is two of their buddies to corroborate a story and they can get away with murder. Done all the time. They also deal with the filth of society on a daily basis. These two things will obscure the sensibility of an off-duty cop. A cop also uses his gun on an almost daily basis to protect himself against that filth. Hence, has more realtime experience with a gun in public.

    A toter has little to no experience ever using his gun in public. Not even brandishing it like cops do. Cops also have more situational and stress training than a civilian.

    I'd go with the cop.
    As a trained officer who has worked with many other officers I agree with you regarding the trust factor. My point is that civilians who have permits are not untrustworthy paranoid nut cases. They are to the same or greater degree less apt to be a problem than police officers as a group. That crime stats prove this is the case.

    So, that brings us to the question as to why are so many antigun people opposed to those who go thru the permit process being able to carry in public? Why the movement to disarm those who are not a problem and are often a part of the solution?
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    6,737
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Law enforcement is constantly exposed to situations that are stressful, so even when one walks up to a vehicle for traffic infractions, you never sure what response one gets.

    Haven your hands close to the side in case, is common practice, but Joe/Jane Blow sometimes thinks that its overdone, cause they are not subject to such, and at times over react cause they don't know better.

    Btw my Son is in Law Enforcement, he's Detective now. And he's happy not to be on the streets anymore. lol

    Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,224
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Law enforcement is constantly exposed to situations that are stressful, so even when one walks up to a vehicle for traffic infractions, you never sure what response one gets.

    Haven your hands close to the side in case, is common practice, but Joe/Jane Blow sometimes thinks that its overdone, cause they are not subject to such, and at times over react cause they don't know better.

    Btw my Son is in Law Enforcement, he's Detective now. And he's happy not to be on the streets anymore. lol

    Roy
    Working the street as an officer is a young mans job. I liked working the street. My younger son lives for working the street out of a patrol car. Eventually, as officers age or suffer an injury they move to a desk position.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    6,737
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Working the street as an officer is a young mans job. I liked working the street. My younger son lives for working the street out of a patrol car. Eventually, as officers age or suffer an injury they move to a desk position.
    I can assure you my son aint old lol.

    But its possible I am lol

    Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    10,001
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    As a trained officer who has worked with many other officers I agree with you regarding the trust factor. My point is that civilians who have permits are not untrustworthy paranoid nut cases. They are to the same or greater degree less apt to be a problem than police officers as a group. That crime stats prove this is the case.
    I question that stat. Too many variables to take it at face value.

    So, that brings us to the question as to why are so many antigun people opposed to those who go thru the permit process being able to carry in public? Why the movement to disarm those who are not a problem and are often a part of the solution?
    CC is a no-go for me because of where I live. If I lived in White Colorado I'd be more trusting of folks who want to CC. But I am surrounded by people that cannot be trusted under pressure. I'd rather just let the gang members carry them, as they will anyway, because they are just shooting each other. Besides, nobody I know has ever been accosted by a person with a gun. Nor have I ever known anyone who has, or has been witness to, a CC person saving the day. Only cops save the day around here.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,606
    Post Likes
    I am sometimes really surprised by what people think. Data shows that only about 25% of all law enforcement have or will fire their weapon while on duty. There are many who have never had to draw their weapon while on duty. Most officers if they fire only fire one time

    Somewhere around 30% of law enforcement want a ban on weapons, meaning 70% do not agree with disarming the public

    Gun battles and very accurate shots in gun battles just do not happen like in the movies which is where most people get their knowledge from.

    The chance of surviving a gun shot is high.

    Law enforcement have the same stress reaction to being shot at or have a weapon pointed at them as the general public. Unless they are former military and have served in active fire area most training and motor skills go right out the window

    My brother who was FBI for 27 years said he fired his weapon twice and drew his weapon 5 times in his carreer. He said he was typical of those he served with. He was also Special Forces he's been in a few fights. Two brothers-in-laws Secret Servcie both now retired said they never fired their weapons on duty but each withdrew their weapons (at their side) about a dozen times

    I really like these open carry guys, it just gives the bad guys a target and would give me time to react, be it fight or flight

    I really believe this fear of just seeing a gun is the results of helicopter parents. Look! There's a stray cat over there, we have to go in the house and call the police because it might have rabies and attack us

    I carry conceeled but not all the time, My metro area is really pretty tame. Think about when you are out on a call. How much is the truck/van you are driving worth, How much are the tools in the truck worth, How much are the parts and new equipment worth. How many credit cards or cash do you have in your pocket. You know I'm not too worried about all that stuff, that's what insurance is for. But why I carry is the nut who I walk in on and he get's the idea that now that I saw them he needs to fix that problem.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    10,001
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    I am sometimes really surprised by what people think. Data shows that only about 25% of all law enforcement have or will fire their weapon while on duty. There are many who have never had to draw their weapon while on duty. Most officers if they fire only fire one time

    Somewhere around 30% of law enforcement want a ban on weapons, meaning 70% do not agree with disarming the public

    Gun battles and very accurate shots in gun battles just do not happen like in the movies which is where most people get their knowledge from.

    The chance of surviving a gun shot is high.

    Law enforcement have the same stress reaction to being shot at or have a weapon pointed at them as the general public. Unless they are former military and have served in active fire area most training and motor skills go right out the window

    My brother who was FBI for 27 years said he fired his weapon twice and drew his weapon 5 times in his carreer. He said he was typical of those he served with. He was also Special Forces he's been in a few fights. Two brothers-in-laws Secret Servcie both now retired said they never fired their weapons on duty but each withdrew their weapons (at their side) about a dozen times

    I really like these open carry guys, it just gives the bad guys a target and would give me time to react, be it fight or flight

    I really believe this fear of just seeing a gun is the results of helicopter parents. Look! There's a stray cat over there, we have to go in the house and call the police because it might have rabies and attack us

    I carry conceeled but not all the time, My metro area is really pretty tame. Think about when you are out on a call. How much is the truck/van you are driving worth, How much are the tools in the truck worth, How much are the parts and new equipment worth. How many credit cards or cash do you have in your pocket. You know I'm not too worried about all that stuff, that's what insurance is for. But why I carry is the nut who I walk in on and he get's the idea that now that I saw them he needs to fix that problem.
    Have you are anyone you know ever been accosted by someone using a gun?

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,606
    Post Likes
    Yes

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    10,001
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    Yes
    Ah, I see the flaw in my question. So I will disregard your answer.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,606
    Post Likes
    What my answer does fit your predetermine sterotype. I had a guy ask for money while showing me the gun he had in his waist, I threw about $50 bucks from my shirt pocket on the ground in front of him and took off the other way. Conceal carry is not about standing your ground it's about what is your last resort.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •