+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unico high velocity system question

Post Likes

Unico high velocity system question

I have come across a unico high velocity system that has a blower motor that is lock rotor. I have spent 4 plus hours today trying to remove the motor from the squirrel cage. The model is MB 4260L. I have removed my fair share of blower motors and this one is just kicking my butt. I've had 2 other techs come and help me to no avail. My last ditch effort is to cut the hub on the s.c. and just get it over with. I've tried the traditional crescent wrench to spin the shaft and do not have enough of the shaft to get a grip, same for channel locks, vise grips. I've tried heating the hub with a torch to expand it, no luck. Saturated it with wd40 and still not moving. Hub pullers, bearing pullers are no help either. What am I not doing?

Post Likes
    I have a hard time a puller wont remove it.

Ive never met a resi blower that cant be dismantled with a puller.

The obvious would be a set screw you missed.

I had one that had 2 allen set screws stacked on top of one another. So in order to actually loosen the set screw the outer needed to be removed completely first.

That I did not figure that out till it was apart, then I saw the second set screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    If you can't get it off... then you can't get it off.

You need to order blower motor, wheel, housing, ie. replace it all.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

4. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'll look again, I hope it's not that, then I'll feel bad. Thanks

Post Likes
    Housing is riveted to the chassis, wheel is attainable. I'll look again for a second set screw but I'm pretty positive there isn't one.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    If the hub is definitely Not still set-screwed to the shaft - try heating the hub a bit and adding wax to the joint between the shaft and the hub.

Think of the process as though you were soldering a joint - but with wax and at lower temperature. A candle, sealing wax, or whatever. Propane torch. If the wax smokes or skitters away - the 'joint' is too hot. Let it cool and then try the hub puller again.

Are you positive that the end of the shaft isn't buggered up from trying to grip it with vice grips and the like? Really Positive?

Because if it is - you will want to dress it off even with the hub with a small grinder.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhite1975 View Post
    I have come across a unico high velocity system that has a blower motor that is lock rotor. I have spent 4 plus hours today trying to remove the motor from the squirrel cage. The model is MB 4260L. I have removed my fair share of blower motors and this one is just kicking my butt. I've had 2 other techs come and help me to no avail. My last ditch effort is to cut the hub on the s.c. and just get it over with. I've tried the traditional crescent wrench to spin the shaft and do not have enough of the shaft to get a grip, same for channel locks, vise grips. I've tried heating the hub with a torch to expand it, no luck. Saturated it with wd40 and still not moving. Hub pullers, bearing pullers are no help either. What am I not doing?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    OKAY!!! I got it. Let it soak over night with this blast stuff. Was able to get the s.c. to turn just enough and then the hub puller with the big crescent wrench got it off.
    Thanks everyone for the tips.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    What is an s. c. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhite1975 View Post
    OKAY!!! I got it. Let it soak over night with this blast stuff. Was able to get the s.c. to turn just enough and then the hub puller with the big crescent wrench got it off.
    Thanks everyone for the tips.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Squirrel cage

Post Likes
    Soak the shaft with kroil, see if you can cut the shaft off flush with the hub, then use a section of motor shaft to drive the shaft down through the fan hub while heating the hub with the torch

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in