Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 811121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Mass shooting

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    We Americans seem to have most of the mass shootings. So do we 'hate' more than the average country?
    Not true.

Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Not true.

Roy
    I forgot to say 'excluding Muslims.'

Post Likes
    I forgot to say 'excluding Muslims.'
    Wasn't talking about Muslims.

Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

Post Likes

Roy
    Then I guess I will just have to wonder what you are talking about.

Post Likes
    Wasn't it something like Africa that has the most per-capita mass murder rate? Can't remember. I don't track those things. Maybe it was just the highest murder rate.

Which brings up an interesting question . . .

Which is worse, a high per-capita murder rate, or a high mass murder per-capita rate?

I would guess a higher per-capita murder rate would be worse, since more people [per-capita] would end up being dead.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Wasn't it something like Africa that has the most per-capita mass murder rate? Can't remember. I don't track those things. Maybe it was just the highest murder rate.

Which brings up an interesting question . . .

Which is worse, a high per-capita murder rate, or a high mass murder per-capita rate?

I would guess a higher per-capita murder rate would be worse, since more people [per-capita] would end up being dead.
    Well, IMO mass murders are caused from mental illness and high murder rates are caused by political policy. From a political stand point, mass murders are worse and high murder rates are business as usual.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes

Roy
    Then what are you talking about? Why the need to be so cryptic? If you're talking about comparing America to other Countries, Lets keep it to industrialized Countries, not backward third world ones.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    We're manipulated by the right also. It's open season on all of us.
    All news media has taking sides (not new). Radio filled with intolerance (new)
    Smooth talkers selling division. Some of the extreme media needs to see some culpability with much of what's happened.
    Murders shouldn't be associated with mass shootings. Different animals.
    Race considerations need to involve social and economic issues.
    All these things probably won't be well understood until farther down the road.
    This is an historical moment.
    Like many, after a mass shooting my knee jerk reaction might be controlling the means of production so to speak. Control guns and you control shootings. When growing up I didn't know of many controls. Machine guns needed a license. Never heard of mass anything. Seems like control might not be an answer.
    Controlling guns to prevent mass shootings might be like banning rope to prevent lynchings.
    Controlling or even understanding hate is harder. It's easier to control guns
    than trying to solve the bigger problem that seems unsolvable.
    Bingo.
    We are slowly as a nation have people walking around thinking the world owes them....since many others feel the same way...there is a lack of positive experience with social interaction itself....when rude and arrogant is surrounded by rude and arrogant....someone snaps.

Sent from LG Stylo 4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We Americans seem to have most of the mass shootings. So do we 'hate' more than the average country?
    Different nations have different terms to meet the definition of mass shootings...we also changed ours to inflate our own numbers.
    What we have are people that are fed up with people....I can see how it can happen...people in general have become deceptive and dishonest and only care about themselves

Sent from LG Stylo 4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We're manipulated by the right also. It's open season on all of us.
    All news media has taking sides (not new). Radio filled with intolerance (new)
    Smooth talkers selling division. Some of the extreme media needs to see some culpability with much of what's happened.
    Murders shouldn't be associated with mass shootings. Different animals.
    Race considerations need to involve social and economic issues.
    All these things probably won't be well understood until farther down the road.
    This is an historical moment.
    Like many, after a mass shooting my knee jerk reaction might be controlling the means of production so to speak. Control guns and you control shootings. When growing up I didn't know of many controls. Machine guns needed a license. Never heard of mass anything. Seems like control might not be an answer.
    Controlling guns to prevent mass shootings might be like banning rope to prevent lynchings.
    Controlling or even understanding hate is harder. It's easier to control guns
    than trying to solve the bigger problem that seems unsolvable.
    While there are genuine points above; there is also nothing new under the sun. Merely far more people and more sophisticated and efficient means of delivery. The one item that has changed is consequences - specifically the lack thereof...

There are no consequences for smaller matters that might otherwise condition one away from or serve as an intervention before the larger, industrial sized and lethal behavior.

When I was a teenager it was almost unheard of for someone to get a DWI. We usually were made to pour out the beer or deliver it to the trunk of an officers squad car. In extreme cases you went to the local precinct and your parents picked you up and then retrieved the vehicle.

A couple quick google searches reveal drunk driving deaths are down anywhere from fifty to sixty-six percent since the good ol' dangerous driving eighties. It almost surprises me that liberalism has not found a way to do away with drunk driving arrests. I would say that I'm mildly surprised that alcohol is still available - but one glance at the money behind that industry lowers my eyebrows pretty quick.

Why? Do I really have to remind you? DWIs cause all manner of inconvenience and money. Many of us here depend on clean driving records for our living.

So everybody agreed that drunk driving deaths, often innocent bystander deaths; were such a bad thing that not only would you face stiff consequences if you hurt someone driving while blind - you would face severe hurdles even if you did not hurt anyone and would have made it home safe. Two beers slammed on an empty stomach is enough to cause a whole lot of trouble and money when most of us would not be effected by any significant degree.

The officials at Parkland used to search the shooter each day before he started school when enrolled there. The police had been to his home 45 times for domestic issues. He had talked of and engaged in self destructive behavior.

Calls relating to Nikolas Cruz include descriptions of fights with his brother, cursing at his mother, and throwing her against the wall for taking away his Xbox. The issues brought to the sheriff's attention worsen over time. In 2014, someone accused him of shooting a chicken with a BB gun.
    Records show that in 2016, a neighbor warned the sheriff's office of an Instagram post in which Cruz said he "planned to shoot up the school." This week, Joelle Guarino told CNN she placed the 911 call and had begged the sheriff's office to intervene. She was told there was nothing deputies could do until Cruz actually did something, she said.

"Until he actually did something."? No consequences for any of this? Really? And people still managed to be surprised at the eventual destruction?
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    So all that is out there is anti-gun advertisers that are buying off our media?
    On my TV it's almost all drug makers and insurance sales. Actually they are more like relatives. I've got to ask my doc if this drug list is right for me.
    I haven't seen anti-gun adds.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes

Yes, probably. Or at least in an overt way.
    I see countries as having personalities like people do. Some are more co-operative that others. A Nation's pride might be their industrial nature. Another might be their ludifesk.(sp)
    Right now it looks like we have a split personality. Like we're having a psychotic episode. We're divided and choosing sides. A perfect time for a charismatic and psychotic leader.
    When people's emotions ( not rational) rule, all a clever Leader has to do is cultivate that emotion.
    Foster hate, create an enemy, direct their actions.
    The Leader shrugs shoulders and says "I never told them to do anything".
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Yes, probably. Or at least in an overt way.
    I see countries as having personalities like people do. Some are more co-operative that others. A Nation's pride might be their industrial nature. Another might be their ludifesk.(sp)
    Right now it looks like we have a split personality. Like we're having a psychotic episode. We're divided and choosing sides. A perfect time for a charismatic and psychotic leader.
    When people's emotions ( not rational) rule, all a clever Leader has to do is cultivate that emotion.
    Foster hate, create an enemy, direct their actions.
    The Leader shrugs shoulders and says "I never told them to do anything".
    Lahrs said something that I will remember forever. He said "If any (Canadian) politician tried to mess with our healthcare, it would be political suicide."

It may seem like an insignificant statement to some, but it speaks volumes to me. It shows they solved a huge problem that we cannot solve. It also made them stronger as a nation to not fight each other. It also took major power away from politicians who use healthcare, or any issue, as a wedge.

What politicians use Medicare as a wedge? None, because the problem is solved!

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 811121314151617181920 LastLast