Post Likes

Carrier 38TDB048300

Hi I need to get a service call on a 38TDB048300 (recently moved in new old house.) Before I hire any contractor or repair personI like to do a little homework so that I don't get screwed. The city here is notorious for HVAC folks who just love to replace complete units. Anyone with pickup truck and a ladder is a contractor. Or with a screwdrive is an appliance repair expert. Call three different HVACs and 1 out of 3 can fix a problem, the other two want to replace it the whole shebang.
    I'm been down the route in the last house of them telling me they have to replace a capacitor or contactor. but my neighbor (same model carrier) says there are two caps on it and I want to talk intelligently to whicever repair guy I get (or maybe use info to weed them out on the phone.) Wondering what they both do? Carrier HC95DA700 and a GE HC96KA055D. Color me cautious about "experts" in this city.

Ken

Post Likes
    Why not ask your neighbor who they recommend?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kloebereng View Post
    Wondering what they both do? Carrier HC95DA700 and a GE HC96KA055D.
    They both assist the compressor with its starting and running efficiency.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Dandy

Well that’s what prompted the question in the first place. I did and that led to how he got screwed and warnings about the co playing replace-a-part until we convince the homeowner it’s cheaper to buy a new unit than keep getting service calls that don’t don’t really fix the real problem. Plus I had used the same co with very bad luck at apt we were in.
    Constant calls for hot ac. 2-3 a year. Same BS, we fixed it. Finally one tech said they need to replace the coil. But was w/o ac for 2 wks because the tech didn’t know how to figure out what it needed. The owner finally got round to coming out to order what it needed. That’s the level of ‘service’ round here. I could go on with war stories about sweetie’s experiences running 4 medical clinics and trying to get a reputable firm to service them that didn’t try to screw the customer. It’s like a round robin the same crappy techs just keep moving around.
    Last edited by kloebereng; 09-04-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

Post Likes
    That's a high end unit. I'd say your best bet is a Bryant or Carrier dealer. Last one we ran across, we declined to work on explaining that someone with specific training on it should work on it. They wrote a positive post to a review site thanking us.

Post Likes
    As the bald one pointed out that is a older high end carrier.

I think some were infinity models and some were just hooked up with standard thermostats back then.

As far as trouble shooting, a tech really needs factory training as it is a unusual beast. I believe that unit used the Bristol twin/single hermetic compressor. It is a two stage compressor that run the motor in both directions, one direction only one piston moves for low stage and the other direction both pistons move for high stage. If the proper parts are not used or wiring is not completed correctly the unit will be damaged.

However with that said, Bristol is out of business, and that model is no longer made because Bristol had issues with that model breaking piston rods.

Does your unit operate quietly or is it noisy like a old Harley? If it is noisy in any stage most likely the compressor has broken a rod and the unit is finished. This model was very quiet when working properly.

It was a great idea, and some did work for a decent amount of time if installed correctly. And when they did work customers loved them as they operated as a true 50% low stage and 100% high stage. Just Bristol was hit or miss with the compressor design even though it was revised many times sometimes it seemed they made the design worse with higher failures.

As bald said find a carrier/Bryant dealer that is familiar with the older two stage Bristol twin/single.

Post Likes
    Thank you all.
    Advanced- as far as I know (we’re new at this address) she’s been running quiet. At least I hadn’t noticed anything unusual when I was outdoors but of course also not looking for anything either. :-)