+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 438a in a 410a

Post Likes

438a in a 410a

Does any one know what would happen if a 410a unit were vacuumed and filled with 438a (mo99)

Post Likes
    That’s an R22 substitute refrigerant.
    P/T charts are much different. I’d say it’ll run about as well as using 22 in a 410 system.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    That’s an R22 substitute refrigerant.
    P/T charts are much different. I’d say it’ll run about as well as using 22 in a 410 system.
    Which is not well?! Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    Which is not well?! Hahaha

Would not be an advised thing to do, that’s for sure.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Being well aware of the differences in the two refrigerants, and the advisability, my question remains, would the compressor, not compress the gas, over compress and vaporize it, blow up, whistle Dixie, would it not condense, would or not flash, evaporate, would the metering device go nuts or stop up, to high amp's at comp to low amp's?? Thanks

Post Likes
    Try it and give us the results

Post Likes
    What test question is this!

Post Likes
    If I remember right from another thread, the pumping capacity of a 410 compressor is roughly 30% less than a 22 compressor. In that regard, it'll act like either a weak compressor or the condenser, evaporator and metering device are over sized. May have issues with oil return due to lower velocity. I would venture a guess of high subcooling and low superheat if the TXV couldn't choke down far enough.

-----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Thanks benny d!

Post Likes
    How it is possible to run R438a in the compressor which is designed for R410a is that possible?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Anisha View Post
    How it is possible to run R438a in the compressor which is designed for R410a is that possible?
    The compressor doesn't know or care. Its design to pump, it pumps what it can.

No the compression ratios are going to be way off

Post Likes
    There would be a reduction of capacity of 40% or so when using MO99 or R22 in a R410A condensing unit meaning a 5 ton R410A unit would be roughly equivalent to a 3 ton. If you match it up with a 3 ton evaporator with a properly sized metering device it would run normally, like any other R22 or MO99 system.

It's all about the difference in the compressor displacements (cu ft/min) between the R410A and R22 compressors. The R410A compressor simply pumps 40% less volume of gas.

Post Likes
    The density of the gas type must come into play here somewhere yes ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    that and Lacquer Thinners!

Post Likes
    The suction vapor density difference is just another way of comparing the relative capacities. My example is a comparison of the required compressor displacements.

To do the calculations, go here: (See #3 and #18) https://icemeister.net/backroom/wp-c...lculations.pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    The suction vapor density difference is just another way of comparing the relative capacities. My example is a comparison of the required compressor displacements.

To do the calculations, go here: (See #3 and #18) https://icemeister.net/backroom/wp-c...lculations.pdf
    Thanks icemeister. My thought was the compressor displacement is designed around the gas being used. Correct ?

Post Likes
    Thanks icemeister. My thought was the compressor displacement is designed around the gas being used. Correct ?
    Yes, it's basically a matter of scaling the displacement up or down to get the capacity you need. A manufacturer will come out with a "family " of compressors which are optimized for specific refrigerants like R410A, R404A, etc and for specific applications like high temp. low temp, etc. Copeland rates some models for a number of alternate refrigerants and applications.

This "optimization" usually involves designing the scrolls for a particular refrigerant and application to boost efficiency at specific conditions.

Post Likes
    Yeah, based on the enthalpy of the refrigerant at the conditions the system would need to operate at, which dictates the volume that the compressor needs to move.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    It would operate at about 65% of the R-410 unit's rated capacity.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by waterworksdan View Post
    Does any one know what would happen if a 410a unit were vacuumed and filled with 438a (mo99)
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    If the R-410 system metering device was a fixed orifice - it would operate well but at about 65% capacity as compared to R-410.

If the R-410 system's metering device was a TXV it would tend towards low suction superheat - because, to a R-410 TXV, the suction pressure (a closing force) would appear to be "too low" to the TXV.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by waterworksdan View Post
    Being well aware of the differences in the two refry the igerants, and the advisability, my question remains, would the compressor, not compress the gas, over compress and vaporize it, blow up, whistle Dixie, would it not condense, would or not flash, evaporate, would the metering device go nuts or stop up, to high amp's at comp to low amp's?? Thanks
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in